It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Arrested at City Meeting Brings Outrage in the Town of Sunbright, Tennessee, USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

"When the mayor came into the room, before he called the meeting to order, I stood up and said, 'Mayor, please explain to me again why I cannot sit at the council table.' At that point, he looked at the chief of police, the chief of police stood up and made the announcement that if anyone spoke at the meeting, they would be arrested," explained Sandra Bailey...

..She spoke up after a motion was made for a new alderman to become a signatory on the city's accounts.

"Alderman Supeck seconded the motion and he asked for discussion, and because I have been resigned from the city for better than a year and a half, I simply asked Mayor Reagan, I said, 'Mayor Reagan, could you please remove my name,' and he pounded his little hammer, and I said 'all I'm going to ask is that you remove my name from all your bank accounts' and at that time, Police Chief Dagley said 'you're under arrest.'"...

...Spurling's sister, Joann Henry, was on the agenda to speak, but was still arrested.

Henry says she was handled so roughly she had to go to the doctor for bruises and numbness in her fingers.

"I said, 'you've taken my family to jail, you might as well take me too.' He fished out his handcuffs and went to put them on me and started to hurt me, and when he started to hurt me, I got a little bit belligerent," Henry explained.

Sunbright police have their own video of the meeting, which they plan to show at court next week.

Source

All too often we hear new stories of local governments acting as they wish, with no regard for the real rights of the citizens. I am not sure if the recent reports of local governments violating the rights of their citizens has increased beyond historical percentages, but it sure seem to be a fact.

I feel like we are seeing way too many instances of local authorities exercising their political power inappropriately, many times going way beyond the legal authority granted as an elected official.

I am disgusted with a lot of the redundant actions from political figures / elected officials around the country. It's happening everywhere & it seems many of these officials disregard the citizens' rights and have no worry when doing so.

I am not sure really what else to say, the incident speaks for itself. It would be awesome if the citizens would form their own task force, where they are able to hold law enforcement and elected officials accountable in a neutral court of law. Being able to use the traffic light cameras and other recording devices, put in place by the local government, as evidence in any case against potentially criminal law enforcement and elected officials...

I guess I can wish in one hand and ...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Not even one person would stand up for the others, what a bunch of sheep. You wouldn't get away with that type of tyrannical behavior where I live thank goodness.
edit on 14-4-2013 by michaelmcclen because: 2nd line.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

No, it is rather disgusting. However, one of the other citizens did stand up, though it was her sister. I am uncertain whether or not anyone else present at the meeting voiced their concern.

It's quite obvious, from the video, that no one actually sitting on the board during that meeting had enough backbone to crack their own gavel against the mayor. They may have been scared of being socially/publicly ridiculed for standing against elected officials or maybe they feel the same way about executing government as the mayor.

It wasn't until after Chuck Blae posted the video that people began to voice their concern. It spread pretty quick around here, thankfully so. I do hope this haunts the mayor for the rest of his term/s, as well as the arresting officer, and any other elected officials or government employees who stood silently by while these women were arrested for simply using their voice.

Heros are people who would do the courageous thing, but believe they are only doing what anyone else would do in a given situation. Our heros are becoming extinct. People are becoming complacent and indifferent, while, at the same time, turning their head just to avoid any hassle - even if getting involved is the right thing.

Maybe the other people present already knew how things operate there and were scared of causing waves and being arrested too. I don't know if I would stand up for someone else if I were in a similar situation, I'd like to think I would. I do believe I would sleep better at night - even in a jail cell - if I knew I had done everything I could to oppose wrong-doing or injustice.

It would be great to see more and more people to see incidents like this and understand they should always stand up for the right thing, even when the bad consequences outweigh the consequences of remaining silent. I have to think that doing the right things in similar scenarios would be great for the soul.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
When you're told not to do something or face arrest, and then you go and do the thing, damn straight you're getting arrested. Good to see those punks got a little roughed up too. Now you know how cops treat everyone else who breaks laws they don't agree with.
edit on 15-4-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Seriously?

Tell me again what laws they broke?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'm personally looking for the law, it would relate to Tennessee Open Meetings Act, but I don't see any specific language yet. DaTroof, I know you suffer from Authoritarian Personality Disorder, but could you actually contribute for a change and show us the specific code?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well, I am fairly certain Sunbright won't be reelecting that mayor. Hope it was worth it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Not enough information or history to make a judgment. And the video shows no rough
handling during the arrest which calls into question the honesty of the accuser.

There's obviously more to this story than what is presented...

All that is presented is a woman being warned and then arrested for disturbing the peace.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

To think, I nearly bought a house in that little "Clown Town" last year.

It was a 1500 sq ft 3/2 on an acre for $35000. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heliophant
reply to post by DaTroof

Seriously?

Tell me again what laws they broke?

Disturbing the peace. Protesting without a permit. Interrupting official government proceedings.

Go in front of a table with a gavel, you're going to get the mason-minded processing. No, they do not know how to have a casual get-together. This is the mayor's official reason why he gets paid, because he sits at these kinds of tables; he's practicing for congress one day. It's robo-government. Even if they had that meeting in a cardboard box, with a crayon sign on the door that said "no hooliganz alowed" and refreshments in the afternoon was marshmallows and red koolaid in dixie cups, even if the guy in charge was 12, you don't abide by their ridiculous rules you get their ridiculous consequences.

Next time write a letter after running it through an attorney. I think it's called lobbying.

This is the consequences of voting in your leaders. They might be stuffy or retarded, not saying that's the case in the video. Wear your criminal history with some pride then, tell your kids one day that you stood up for your rights.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Breaking what laws? They only used their words, in a non-threatening manner and only after the people present were asked to voice discussion.

Believing anyone should face any consequence for simply voicing their concerns for something pertaining directly to the individual and the local government? Arresting someone for speaking, in-turn, after it was asked if their is any discussion from those who are present, is something that warrants arrest? I think not.

reply to post by Heliophant

I would like to ask the exact same question! I was born with a literal voice. It was given to me biologically/genetically.

Controlling my ability to use my own voice, when I speak in a non-threatening manner about my legitimate concerns on issues directly affecting me and the people/organization I am addressing is something I will never tolerate. If I must be arrested for this position, then I must be!
edit on 15-4-2013 by esteay812 because: repcontentyops

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
WTF!!!!!!

I was just looking at some real estate in this town, specifically cause I'm moving somewhere quaint, with land, nature, and silence so I can spend quality time gardening and meditating.....

....and now this!!!! Go figure man!!!!! Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Check out the Seymour TN area, specifically the Boyd's Creek area. There is some very nice real estate that's still a good deal. It's also a prime location for it's proximity to the surrounding cities.

It's in the center of a triangle that leaves it close to Knoxville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Alcoa/Maryville. You can get to any of those places within 15minutes, with the exception of Gatlinburg - you can get there in 20-25mins and over to Cherokee, NC in about an hour total (that is, if you like to gamble, 'Harrah's Cherokee'.

What's troubling about the situation in Sunbright is the fact that it isn't a localized occurrance, it's happening almost everywhere and has the potential to happen anywhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
WTF!!!!!!

I was just looking at some real estate in this town, specifically cause I'm moving somewhere quaint, with land, nature, and silence so I can spend quality time gardening and meditating.....

....and now this!!!! Go figure man!!!!! Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.

If you're seeking silence, including your own, this sounds like the perfect place to find the peace and tranquility you long for. Anyone who opens their pie hole and makes a sound gets thrown in jail. What could be more silent than that?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I've driven through Sunbright; their local commerce consists of a single shaved ice stand.

Also famous for road signs depicting "kids on seesaws." I guess you have to watch out for kids on seesaws down there.

But seriously, this is terrible.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by dominicus

Check out the Seymour TN area, specifically the Boyd's Creek area. There is some very nice real estate that's still a good deal. It's also a prime location for it's proximity to the surrounding cities.

It's in the center of a triangle that leaves it close to Knoxville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Alcoa/Maryville. You can get to any of those places within 15minutes, with the exception of Gatlinburg - you can get there in 20-25mins and over to Cherokee, NC in about an hour total (that is, if you like to gamble, 'Harrah's Cherokee'.

What's troubling about the situation in Sunbright is the fact that it isn't a localized occurrance, it's happening almost everywhere and has the potential to happen anywhere.

Hey thanks for the heads up,
When I finally do move down there, I'm hoping we can have a Tennessee members ATS bbq or something.

Seymour is AWESOME!!!!!! But honestly for me its all about price and acres. I don't mind being in one of the less populated counties within an hour to Knoxville. I got plans to build some cob houses, fruit tree orchards, gardens, chicken coops, so I don't want any ordinance problems or inspectors bothering me.

I ghost-write books for a living and also do some metalurgy & inspection services so work is no issue.

Thing is, I saw a particular killer deal in Sunbright and was doing all my homework on it, the this news came out!!!! A sign from the Heavens (AVOID SUNBRIGHT!!!!). I've lived in small towns in Tennessee before, Ripley, Nutbush, out west etc....and I understand small town politics.....

....but for the most part, small town politics leave the residents be, and make sure that everyone is cool. This whole Nazi-Ego-Narcisistic-Authoritative crap is a big no no in my book. Best believe if I lived in that town, I'd be starting a petition, law suits, media, all attention on the mayor and put him on blast making sure he never works in that Town again, and get somebody right in as Mayor.

Anyway, hopefully something in Seymour does pop up.!!!! I'll let you know with a PM
edit on 16-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join