It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banished! Historic 'Don't Tread On Me' flag (from NY armory)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Another case of political stupidity concerning American History and the founding of this nation? When will this onslaught against our American heritage stop? It seems to becoming an almost daily thing for councils and government offices attempting to ban something that represents the history of this nation.

Shame on you people! I am saddened, especially upon this Patriots Day holiday weekend, when we should be remembering the sacrifices made by those men on the Lexington Green in Massachusetts. Standing against the tyranny of the British Regular Army soldiers.

It was after an official ceremony on March 21 at the New Rochelle Armory that a new American flag was unfurled to replace the previous weathered flag that flew at the location. Beneath the new American flag, the yellow Gadsden Flag was flown, as is common tradition on many military sites. However, within a week of the ceremony, City Manager Chuck Strome ordered the Gadsden flag be taken down because of “unidentified complaints” that the flag was a symbol of the tea party movement.

Source

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

What's everyone's deal with the tea party movement? I thought that was a huge milestone in the Revolutionary War? Lemme check on that.

ETA: Alright, checked on it. And honestly, I can't see what the problem is. Apparently, the Tea Party platform is "by the constitution" lawmaking and tactical budget-keeping. What's the deal? Trying not to pour peroxide on the wound?
edit on 14-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well now.. The Tea Party movement is SO powerful and SO influential in New York that they can claim and own a flag with deep meaning out of our American Heritage and history? Perhaps we just have an official who is personally offended by this piece of American heritage.

I'm betting the latter.

I'm also thinking there is another politician who needs to become a former politician collecting unemployment. What's next? Outrage about flying the American Flag itself? ....oh ..wait.. that actually is happening, huh?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

lol You beat me to it. I was going to make the same comment...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Outrage about flying the American Flag itself? ....oh ..wait.. that actually is happening, huh?

What do you mean?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Shows you how dumb progressives are! Forget about the history behind the flag ay?

I wonder if they would be okay with a communist flag?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It seems the city council voted 5 - 2 in favor of having it removed.

5 Democrats (for removal)
2 Republicans (against removal)

It speaks volumes to me....

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

Outrage about flying the American Flag itself? ....oh ..wait.. that actually is happening, huh?

What do you mean?

A general observation about the state of affairs in this nation right now. For example...

Marine veteran ordered to remove American flag from his yard

Soldier Brandon Weir Must Take Down American Flag, HOA Demands

Store should not have removed American flag

Florida City Removes American Flags From Fire Trucks

HOA: Vietnam Veteran Must Remove American Flag

Believe it or not, those are each individual stories and in various states. I think it's well beyond the time for a new Federal Law (since they seem happy to pass laws for everything imaginable these days) protecting the display of the American Flag as well as others recognized as representing Military service and/or American Heritage. (To absolutely include the Gadsden Flag)

I'm sure a lawyer can word that better to cover what needs covered. There should never be an issue displaying the flag of one's own nation or heritage though. (and...I can hear the running of the people coming to justify and rationalize each incident above as proper and appropriate too...I swear I can)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Ah, I said it before and I'll say it again!

When Democrats are in power, they fool a certain percentage of the righteous. This means the Democrats are the 'diplomatic' half of the corporate beast. They are the man who smiles before injecting poisons into your arm, they usher in new concepts and draconian laws- that if passed by republicans would have caused outrage.

They set up the laws and ideals, and then the Republicans come in. They represent Action, or implementation. After laws have been passed and foolishly accepted, the Republicans apply these new laws in ways never expected.

What we have is a major lack of foresight.

If Republicans had passed the NDAA, Monsanto Protection Act, 70+ Billion dollars to Israel & nations of concern ---The people surely would have banded together in outrage against this treason.

This is why I actually wanted Romney to win. Because at least then I would not be arguing with foolish people who accept draconian legislature because they "like their boss".

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Apparently they never got permission to add the Gadsden when they were asked to replace the old American flag.

New Rochelle War Veterans Protest City's Order to Take Down Gadsden Flag

City Hall was closed Friday, and the mayor was not available for comment, though he has said the veterans never asked the city for permission to put the flag up in the first place.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It doesn't stop there either. Was watching The Following and when the feds busted into the serial killers HQ there was a Dont Tread On Me flag hanging on the wall front and center of the cameras field of view.

Like it was a symbol of what this band of serial killers stood for or something...
edit on 14-4-2013 by Terminal1 because: typo

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Apparently they never got permission to add the Gadsden when they were asked to replace the old American flag.

City Hall was closed Friday, and the mayor was not available for comment, though he has said the veterans never asked the city for permission to put the flag up in the first place.

Like any good politician, they changed the reason to defect the outcry.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Starting to wonder if the creation of the new American nation of 1776 was a false flag of sorts....

Why else would they try to remove all of the symbolism that got it going in the first place?

They've got Britain/Rome 2.0 here now, can't spoil it with thoughts of revolution.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

I guess these adults that fought for this nation, risking their lives, and deprived their families of their time, forgot to ask the nanny for permission to fly a flag. What a shame.....

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

What do you mean?

A general observation about the state of affairs in this nation right now. For example...

Marine veteran ordered to remove American flag from his yard

Soldier Brandon Weir Must Take Down American Flag, HOA Demands

Store should not have removed American flag

Florida City Removes American Flags From Fire Trucks

HOA: Vietnam Veteran Must Remove American Flag

Believe it or not, those are each individual stories and in various states.

Geez... I didn't even know that was possible.

Things are even more twisted than what I imagined! Thanks for the info Rabbit

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Liberals cant be helped. They're afraid and quickly try to stomp out anything that might offend their hypersensitive feelings. Sadly, instead of getting treatment for their psychological disorder they try to impose new laws on everyone because they personally feel offended.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

My God, I am speechless.

Since history is part of who I am I have to admit that this is shocking. To confuse that flag with something as meaningless as the Tea Party is beyond ignorant.

Did this man not verify what the flag actually stood for? Of course not, just simply pathetic.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

*Shrugs* It is NY. Is anyone surprised???

If they hoisted up the USSR or China flag, or Gay Pride flag, there would be no issue.

It's NY.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Liberals cant be helped. They're afraid and quickly try to stomp out anything that might offend their hypersensitive feelings. Sadly, instead of getting treatment for their psychological disorder they try to impose new laws on everyone because they personally feel offended.
I guess it's a sad thing that the flag has been co-opted by the tea party and thus has become a divisive symbol. To my mind, it's like the traditional Native American (among others) symbol of the swastika being co-opted by the Nazis. Symbolic identity theft, if you will...

Originally posted by macman
*Shrugs* It is NY. Is anyone surprised??? If they hoisted up the USSR or China flag, or Gay Pride flag, there would be no issue. It's NY.
...because we all know that New Yorkers are either Communists or Homosexuals. Somehow, that's not a real great advertisement for right wing intellect, no matter how glib you may think it sounds.

edit on 15-4-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
They will slowly take away and change any symbols of revolution and the original America. They have done this with Southernern heritage for a long time now under the guise of being P.C. Making states that had the Confederate flag as part of their state flag remove it. Making Ole miss change their mascot from the Rebels to the black bears. These are just two off the top of my head, there are other examples.

I think they will do anything to keep out of sight and therefore out of mind the fact that the original America was founded after a harsh and bloody revolution. By common people that had the odds stacked against them dealing with the might of the British empire.

Sometimes I'll discuss with friends what a 2nd American revolution would be like. Most think that it would be impossible because the government has too many high tech weapons and too well equipped of a military.

If Washington and the others thought like this breaking away from GB would have been impossible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join