It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian port excavated on the Red Sea - papyris discovered with Khufu's cartouche

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snsoc

Originally posted by PureRockFurby
I thought it was pretty cut and dry with much evidence that the pyramids were certainly made by the egyptians to the point of which pharoah had what built and when.I would think the Sphinx a much better candidate for debate as to its origin.
edit on 16-4-2013 by PureRockFurby because: 'cuz i can.

Except the stunning lack of anything inside the Great Pyramid which would prove this-no mummy of Khufu, only one hieroglyph sentence instead of his entire story, no treasure, no sarcophagus, nothing. If he had it built during his reign, why wouldn't he have been buried in it? Why wouldn't his name be all over it?

why would you assume it would be built to be a tomb? There are tons of examples of monumental structures that are not tombs or grave markers i mean there is no one buried in kosmaj or the washington monument...Maybe they just built it as a monument to themselves, or their gods,to commemorate some event, to show off there technological prowess, the greatness of their civilization, or just to straight up impress the hell out strangers as they approach. I mean who could dare question the rule of someone great enough to build that?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'd be interested in seeing the full text also. I want to see what it says, not someones interpretation of what it says.

And how do you propose to do this, since you've not bothered, to this point at least, to learn how to read Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic text?

Harte

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snsoc
What it sounds like is blatant pro- "Khufu/Ramses II built the Great Pyramids using Hebrew slaves, despite all the archaeological and geological evidence to the contrary, because that's what lines up with the Old Testament" propaganda.

Absurd.

Kuhfu has never been associated with any Hebrew slaves.

Kuhfu lived before Hebrews even originated, for God's sake!

Geez. Get your insane ideas straight, willya?

No hebrew slaves have ever been associated with ANY Egyptian pharoah.

Anyone that cares about it already knows that Kuhfu had the Great Pyramid erected as his tomb. There is simply no doubt about this - in the real world.

Harte

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by studythem1
reply to post by Snsoc

the pyramids were looted inside and out by the superstitious muslims and who knows who else, before we could even see them in all their glory...

wow

why do muslims get the blame for everything

Well, in this case, the above is true.

The first people to break in to the Great Pyramid were Muslim. They reported finding several mummies and lots of gold and gems.

Obviously, other people loot as well (not too many Muslim looters in New Orleans after Katrina, after all.) In fact, it is believed (for good reason) that many Egyptian tombs were looted by the Egyptian priests themselves. Under orders, of course (usually.) That is, individual priests could have done some looting, but there is good reason to believe that most of the Valley of the Kings was looted by priests - as ordered by their king.

Harte

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

I can learn to do anything if I want to. You do not need a certification to know how to translate something.

Basic word for word translations are available for things, the monks did things like that. Most people translate things by associating it with their beliefs or present knowledge of things which distorts the translation. I have read many translations that varied widely for the same text. Part of human nature I guess.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The British Museum released a report on the scope and extent of the dig. There's a nice picture of the site and a nice review of the history (and what was going on in the world) along with transliterations and translations of some of the material (and even more photos of the area along with some maps: (available at this link)

Tallet's abstract for the paper he's presenting on this reads:

Wadi el-Jarf, located south of Zarafana, has parallels to two other Red Sea sites, Ain Sukhna (Ayn Soukhna) and Mersa/Wadi Gawasis. Over the course of two campaigns (2011-2012), an elaborate complex of storage galleries (some for storage of boat parts), including a system for closure, was excavated, as were camps, facilities for pottery production, dry-stone structures, and an L-shaped jetty with associated stone anchors. Inscriptional evidence allows for interpretation of the organization of the site and a date (reign of Khufu). Seemingly the earliest Egyptian harbor installation on the Red Sea, it may have been superceded by Ain Sukhna.

Source: journals.uair.arizona.edu...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Also, to flesh this out a bit more...

Here's the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities' press release. It notes that 40 papyri were found and that they hope to get more from the houses (excavated) of the ancient village. The second image at the top of this report seems to be some tally -- perhaps the report of the number of dock workers for a particular month.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PureRockFurby

there are tons of theories on what the pyramids were built for, and some strange coincidences of features that make them capable of much more than just being monuments, although to what extent we may never really know...was each one capable of generating electricity for show? or for practical reasons?

anyway they were definitely built as part of a representation of constellations, and it is mind boggling how they were able to do that to almost the exact scale of Orion and the Pleiades...among others...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join