It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian port excavated on the Red Sea - papyris discovered with Khufu's cartouche

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The site of a previously known ancient Egyptian Red Sea port have been excavated. The port was used to store ships when not used in trading.

Amongst the finds were anchors, tools, caves and fragments of papyri.

I would suggest running through the slides here

Discovery

PDF on the papyris discovered

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
haha i hate to say it but sounds like blatant ant-aliens having made the pyramids propaganda to me

it conveniently says that he was making trips to a quarry to get stones for the pyramids hmm. lol

cool stuff but i always wonder do they really find thin bits of papyrus all this time later! lol. the paper bits at the bottom of my bag fade in a few months and i cant see my own lyrics, sometimes in a week or two i loose the lyrics lol

Illuminati placed artefact is my call, cynical i know. lol
edit on 14-4-2013 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Pretty cool stuff,
So what had been characterized as "caves" in earlier articles are actually storage pens, interesting.

A few months ago I posted about a reconstructed Egyptian boat,

www.abovetopsecret.com...
I believe discoveries made at this site contributed to the building of the
boat.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this...a disappointingly brief PDF, but beggars can't be choosers, I don't suppose any more details will come to light until someone has got the credit for publishing...which is fair dos really. Given the recent debate amongst heritage types over the past few years that history has in the past placed far too much emphasis of the lives of the rich and famous, it is heartening that discoveries such as this may help to redress the balance and that the story of those that put in the elbow grease will eventually be told, as opposed to just those who sat on their over fed behinds and reaped the benefits.

Very interesting, thanks again.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Yes we'll have to wait for publication - I'm interested to see the full text of the documents found
-----------------------------------

Punkinworks yes this or one of the other two RSPs
edit on 14/4/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

I hate to say it too Lagrimas - but I think you reply was not cynical at all.

Your contribution - at least that's what I think - was very, very "dim".
Maybe you could search for any "sort" of "enlightenment" you can find before you post on such matters.
Even the "Illuminati" may do if you need someone to "screw" a "bulb" into the (be)holder.

You'd be surprised what a little light can do.

My excuses - that's only my opinion - so don't be concerned if your "vision" of the world does it for you.

A

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'd be interested in seeing the full text also. I want to see what it says, not someones interpretation of what it says. Just the basic translation word for word without adding anything. I question if people use their consensus to alter what is said. I see this a lot when people read the bible, seeing things that aren't really there.

You see what you know or believe most times.
edit on 14-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ansar

I hate to say it too Lagrimas - but I think you reply was not cynical at all.

Your contribution - at least that's what I think - was very, very "dim".
Maybe you could search for any "sort" of "enlightenment" you can find before you post on such matters.
Even the "Illuminati" may do if you need someone to "screw" a "bulb" into the (be)holder.

You'd be surprised what a little light can do.

My excuses - that's only my opinion - so don't be concerned if your "vision" of the world does it for you.

A

lol if you say so. I was just kidding about to be honest, it was just a lil sarcasm.

but you have to admit that one of the most hotly contested conspiracy debates out there, is how the pyramids were made and where the stone came from and how it was transported. More often than not people fight over the length of time it would have taken to excavate the rock, move the rock and then construct the pyramids.

If you think me having an opinion on that. And wondering about this sudden find which verifies human interaction with the pyramid building itself. I hardly think its a matter of being dim witted to question the provenance of a find until it is proven of absolute unbiased certainty.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

So you were "just kidding about to be honest".
Thanks for clearing that up (for me).

Now it's all good.
My apologies for being abrasive.

If you "hardly think its a matter of being dim witted to question the provenance of a find until it is proven of absolute unbiased certainty" - I think that you are absolutely correct and I apologize for that here again if I should have offended you.

There are so many questions concerning the provenance of some "findings".
The Pyramids - are they REAL after all?
Even Google Earth COULD be a HOAX!
It has been proven by avid researchers time and again.

Now "THEY" (Illuminati or whoever... ) would have to gain sooo much by muddying the waters of the Nile...

Think about it! I will - thats for sure.

A

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas

If you think me having an opinion on that. And wondering about this sudden find which verifies human interaction with the pyramid building itself. I hardly think its a matter of being dim witted to question the provenance of a find until it is proven of absolute unbiased certainty.

Howdy Lagrimas

'Absolute unbiased certainty", hmmm what is that exactly?

I'm certain that even without seeing what the document says it will be denied by a certain subset of the fringe world as are most scientific finds.

More seriously tell us what would constitute the AUC you mentioned above? I will guess that its impossible to obtain but will see what you say, thanks.

I apologise in advance to everyone in this thread for my participation in it will end starting Monday morning.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pyramids - are they REAL after all?

Well said Ansar one can take exception and 'skepticism' too far where essentially nothing is believed.

Oh one point I've been to the Giza pyramids a half dozen times and once spent an entire afternoon wandering about Menkaure's - yep they are real, lol....

edit on 14/4/13 by Hanslune because: Added comment for Ansar

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

" ...yep they are real, lol.... "

Thank you for that Hans. Now I'm relieved... phuuh...

On the other hand... are YOU?

A

edit on 14/4/2013 by Ansar because: edition

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

nice hanslune

just got to add

its not Khufus name though is it

it says....apparently....Khnum-khuf.... the name found by vyse in one of the relieving chambers

S+F dude

peace

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

On the other hand... are YOU?

Damn you're on to me.......

edit on 14/4/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Aquisitioned or Built?
Who's to say?

If it had been "in the family" for hundreds of years,
and only priests wrote things down,
that lineage of Pharohs could have been like..

"Oh that pyramid?" "Yeah we built that..."
"That was my Dad... You didn't know that?"
"Yeah I know it doesn't say so anywhere"
"But it was him" "Are you saying it wasn't him?"
"Yeah didn't think so..."

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Aquisitioned or Built?
Who's to say?

If it had been "in the family" for hundreds of years,
and only priests wrote things down,
that lineage of Pharohs could have been like..

"Oh that pyramid?" "Yeah we built that..."
"That was my Dad... You didn't know that?"
"Yeah I know it doesn't say so anywhere"
"But it was him" "Are you saying it wasn't him?"
"Yeah didn't think so..."

Unfortunately for this idea the only cultural material recovered from the Giza plateau and the Nile valley is that of the Ancient Egyptians themselves and the cultures that led to them - with the occassional trade item from upper Egypt/Africa and Asia Minor and greater Asia. These cultural trails goes back thousands of years before the necropolis of Giza was built. There is no sign of any other cultures.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, everything is just irritating the hell out of me.

LOSE.. YOU LOSE things. Or did your lyrics fall off the page? you need to tighten them up then. If they're Loose.

And papyrus is a far cry from the typical modern paper we have today.

Conveniently??? It wouldn't' be news if it was old egypt eddie and the daily meanderings of the locals at the pub.

Just think, all those years ago, when those guys got up to engage in a days activity, they felt about the world the same way we do. They didn't see themselves as ancient. Or new. They were doing the daily grind, making a wage, or being a slave.

And some of them made buildings... ooh a pyramid.

Can you imagine thousands of years from now if for some reason we lost contact with today, and the history of the future pondered the ways we build sky scrapers..

Aliens....

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'd be interested in seeing the full text also. I want to see what it says, not someones interpretation of what it says. Just the basic translation word for word without adding anything.

If you know enough hieroglyphs to be able to read the Demotic in the picture that's in the thread intro, the text in the cartouche on the left really does say Khunm-Khufu, the throne name of Khufu (Cheops). To the right is most definitely his Horus name (Medju). I can't make out more than that.

In the slideshow, you see another papyrus fragment with his name in red ink (they wrote names in red (at least, they did in a lot of papyrus scrolls)) along with "beloved" and the symbol for a town (but I can't make out more than that.)

But like you, I want to see the rest of the papyri! I can practice my reading skills on those!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

nice hanslune

just got to add

its not Khufus name though is it

it says....apparently....Khnum-khuf.... the name found by vyse in one of the relieving chambers

S+F dude

peace

Khnum Khufu is indeed the name of Khufu (see the hieroglyphs in the "titulary" section (right hand side, the light orange bar under Djedefere's name). The Wikipedia entry gives the correct hieroglyphs.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If aliens built the pyramids..
they sure were piss-poor aliens.

Traveling light-years across deep space....
and the best they could do was pile up some blocks of local limestone?

edit on 15-4-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Great finds, Khufu's expeditions to the Terraces of the Turquoise at Maghareh are recorded from that site.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ancient Egyptian monuments, buildings and inscriptions span the period from the Third to Twenty-Ninth Dynasties (ca. 2700 BC-1100 BC),[4] although most monuments date only to the Twelfth Dynasty.[5] The monument raised by Semerkhet, sixth king of the First Dynasty, at Maghareh is the first Egyptian monument outside the Nile valley.[6] Two Third Dynasty rock tables of king Sanakht are found in the valley, as is one of Djoser and two virtually identical tablest of king Sekhemkhet.[7] Tables of Snefru and Khufu from the Fourth Dynasty are also found there.[4] The Fifth Dynasty king Sahure's funerary temble at Abusir depicts him dispatching a fleet to the Red Sea, probably to collect turquoise at Maghareh.[8] and he raised a monument depicting himself "smiting the Mentju of all foreign lands" which was found at Maghareh as well. Fifth Dynasty rock tablets include those of King Nyuserre Ini accompanied by a libation vase and images of the gods Horus and Thoth, one of king Menkauhor Kaiu, and three of king Djedkare Isesi

An important side effect of these expeditions was teaching the Semites how to write Lady of the Turqoise;

The Sinai inscriptions are best known from carved graffiti and votive texts from a mountain in the Sinai called Serabit el-Khadim and its temple to the Egyptian goddess Hathor (ḥwt-ḥr). The mountain contained turquoise mines which were visited by repeated expeditions over 800 years. Many of the workers and officials were from the Nile Delta, and included large numbers of "Asiatics", speakers of the Canaanite language that was ancestral to Phoenician and Hebrew, who had been allowed to settle the eastern Delta.[1]
Most of the thirty or so inscriptions have been found among much more numerous hieratic and hieroglyphic inscriptions, scratched on rocks near and in the turquoise mines and along the roads leading to the temple. Four inscriptions have been found in the temple, on two small human statues and on either side of a small stone sphinx. They are crudely done, suggesting that the workers who made them were illiterate apart from this script. In 1916, Alan Gardiner, using sound values derived from the alphabet hypothesis, translated a collection of signs as לבעלת l bʿlt (to the Lady)[2] One of the instances of this collection of signs was on the small stone sphinx, which contained a bilingual inscription: The Egyptian reads The beloved of Hathor, the mistress of turquoise, and according to Gardiner's translation, the Proto-Sinaitic reads m’hb‘l (the beloved of the Lady; m’hb beloved), with the final t of bʿlt (Lady) not surviving. Egyptologist Orly Goldwasser believes the script was most likely invented during the reign of pharaoh Amenemhet III of the Twelfth Dynasty.[1]
The script has graphic similarities with the Egyptian hieratic script, the less elaborate form of the hieroglyphs. In the 1950s and 60s it was common to show the derivation of the Canaanite alphabet from hieratic, using William Albright's interpretations of Proto-Sinaitic as the key. It was generally accepted that the language of the inscriptions was Semitic and that the script had a hieratic prototype. If correctly translated, the word baʿlat (Lady) lends credence to the identification of the language as Semitic. However, the lack of further progress in decipherment casts doubt over the other suppositions, and the identification of the hieratic prototypes remains speculative

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 15-4-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join