It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Mars hit with a huge solar storm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
We keep hearing that ancient Mars had a more dense atmosphere, and liquid water on the planet, but no real good theories have come up to show what happened to Mars.

As I was mowing the lawn, I thought about the supposed to be solar "Kill Shot" that people are predicting, and thought about what might have actually happened to Mars, could it have possibly been struck by such a huge solar flare that it basically fried it to a red rock?

Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion/debate.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's plausible. I believe it's been mentioned before as a theory.

I don't totally subscribe to the idea, but there was a guy that postulated(?) the idea that Venus was actually an ejection from (Jupiter?) and as it swung in towards it's present position in our solar system, it wreaked havoc on the planets through interplanetary electrical arcing. He backed his idea up by the ancient societies who feared Venus, as well as the Greek battle where Venus sliced Mars' stomach with her sword, which the guy proclaimed was probably electrical arc machining, making Mars' gigantic canyon, and destorying the atmosphere. He also claimed that the Grand Canyon and other features on Earth were also caused by Venus' close encounters. I'll see if I can dig up a couple links on it.

One link: (sorry for the site it's from)
mormonprophecy.blogspot.com...

ETA: Wal Thornhill is, I believe, the guy who came up with the theory

Some more links:
electric-cosmos.org...
electric-cosmos.org...
www.maverickscience.com...

This site has a LOT of "info" on it:
www.thunderbolts.info...

As you can see, there's a reason I don't adhere to the idea fully, but it makes a lot of sense.
edit on 14-4-2013 by Earthscum because: added links

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Well supposedly mars isn't even red, so by the theory its not red your theory is pretty much dead. I don't know though maybe it is red. The only people that do know is NASA.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
One theory is that Mars is the way it is because its core stopped generating a magnetic field. This could be due to a series of mind bogglingly large asteroid impacts (evidence for which remains) that potentially disrupted the rotation of the core.

The solar wind then removed the atmosphere.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Not the only theory but it sounds plausible.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

There is a movie called Knowing. Don't know if you have seen it, it is with Nicholas Cage, but long story short the Earth gets hit by a "100 microtesla" solar flare that pretty much sends giant waves of fire across the entire planet's surface.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

Nope, have not seen that one, going to look that up, thanks!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yes, I always did wonder how Galileo Gelilei saw the massive canals on Mars and how they are not there anymore.

Also, to the guy that said only NASA knows, that is not true. Anyone with a good telescope can check it out.
Or you could buy maybe 4 rockets (price 1000$ for them all) and launch a home-made module into the atmosphere. That does take some skills though.

top topics

join