It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militants' attack kills 29 at Somali courthouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Militants' attack kills 29 at Somali courthouse

www.cnn.com

At least 10 heavily armed militants forced their way into a court building Sunday in Mogadishu, Somalia, and launched a deadly attack, according to a local journalist who witnessed the aftermath.

Some of the assailants detonated explosives before others exchanged fire with government security, witnesses said.

Diplomatic sources told CNN that 29 people were killed in the courthouse attack, including a number of militants. Nearly 60 people were wounded in the skirmish, the officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wdsu.co m
www.4029tv.com

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
My first thought was to chalk up another one for the religion of peace. However, I also saw some comments that made reference to it being a good thing that they have a function court. The building that was attacked houses the nations supreme court as well as serving for the local courts. Lets all hope that they can keep there government continuity.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
every day in the news there is 20 odd people in tis region that are shot or blown up.

Every day.

It is pretty crappy way to live.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Thanks for posting.
Yes it is, however since it happened in the court house I take it as the government is trying to keep itself functioning and its the terrorist #*^&$ who are trying to disrupt it. Not trying to be mellow dramatic but would just like to see peace.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Having spent time in country in the 90's it is a paradise now compared to what it was then. At least now the have some order and some form of gov.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The building that was attacked houses the nations supreme court as well as serving for the local courts. Lets all hope that they can keep there government continuity.
You are talking about Somalia, you do realize, right?
The country itself does OK without a "national government", thank you very much.
The country is ruled in a traditional tribal fashion that works very well for its people.
What you have going on there that the "militants" are resisting is a hostile imperialist take-over from neighboring countries led by the US military to impose their own puppet regime in the country in order to sell-out to the multinational oil companies to rape the country of its natural resources.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Yes.

www.bbc.co.uk...

IMF recognises Somalia government after 22-year break

The International Monetary Fund has recognised the government of Somalia after a break in relations of 22 years.

The move could enable the IMF to provide technical support and policy advice to the impoverished country in the Horn of Africa.

However, the IMF will not lend money to Somalia until it clears a $352m (£230m) debt it owes to the organisation.

theunhivedmind.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Clan yes but still with some form of central government, and the clan removal of the rules of the time was with the assistance of Libya, and Russian weapons.

The Barre administration was ousted that year by a coalition of clan-based opposition groups, backed by Ethiopia's then-ruling Derg regime and Libya.

It is a competition that used to be fought out with arrows and sabers... Now it is fought out with AK-47s."[94] The resulting famine (about 300,000 dead

Most might think 300,000 dead is not a sign that the nation is doing ok with the clan ousting the national government.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The Barre administration was ousted that year by a coalition of clan-based opposition groups, backed by Ethiopia's then-ruling Derg regime and Libya.

What else do you know about Barre and Somalia?

From 1969 to 1990, president and military dictator Siad Barre oversaw a campaign of widespread atrocities that decimated Somali civil society. To quash separatist movements in the 1980s, the Somali Armed Forces targeted civilians in the northwest, culminating in the bloody 1988 siege of the regional capital Hargeisa, which claimed 5,000 civilian lives. [1] When Barre’s regime finally collapsed in 1991, Somalia was plunged into a chaotic internal conflict from which it has never recovered. Today, Somalia is universally cited as a 'failed state.'
www.cja.org...

It would be foolish to presume the clans wouldn't move to oust the bloody dictator.

But

One oasis in Somalia’s devastated social landscape is the self-proclaimed republic of Somaliland. Built on the ashes of Hargeisa and the devastated northwest region, Somaliland—while still unrecognized by the international community—has undertaken a transitional justice effort to re-establish the rule of law and effective governance. While the Somaliland experiment in democracy remains fragile, it offers a glimmer of hope in a region that has not seen peace in three decades. [12]

And isn't it ironic that the peace loving international community doesn't even recognize them?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Today, Somalia is universally cited as a 'failed state.'

In international community (read, NWO) terms.
It does not have a 'western' style central government to make deals with institutions like the IMF.
They have their own monetary system that is organic to their county's society, that works for them but gives no handle for bankers to get their greedy 'cut' from the economy.
edit on 14-4-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

They have their own monetary system that is organic to their county's society, that works for them but gives no handle for bankers to get their greedy 'cut' from the economy.

Absolutely, but you know the bankers, they won't be satisfied until they own all the handles. Anybody who won't give over all their handles is just a pirate.

Getting so that's about the only honorable career choice left.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What little government is now attempting to manage Somalia today was hijacked by western powers in 2006. The Islamic Courts Union actually restored many local services throughout Mogadishu and surrounding country, even FOUGHT the pircacy and temporarily reduced it significantly! Massive cleanup of trash and rubble everywhere, opened the airports, secured schools, began collecting general revenue funds by managing marriage licenses, business permits and so on. The ICU head even sent out a plea for assistance to the international community, the UN , EU, and many other states directly. Finally there was some stability for the people of Somaia who were plagued for decadces with losing entire days of earnings at multiple random checkpoints and absolutley unwarranted murder for fun by their own countrymen with power.

Violence stalled for many months... and then someone screamed al-qaeda or terrorist or some #. and soon the cheapest and most horrific violation of soveignty up this point in the 21st century went mercilessly ignored. The CIA began flying in plane loads of at least 100k in cash on a monthly basis to the disheartened and beaten parasite warlords in remote border lands of the bordering states. that much cash can buy significant violent intent with the fire to back it up.

Ethiopia invaded, funded heavily by a few million dollars in military aid, the exact $ for that years escapes me. Plus the cash the CIA was supplying the non-aligned rebels who were ousted helped them easily purchase the best rifles and explosives the free market had to offer. Soon after, even though the people fought hard and even captured some light armor and artillery, simply did not have access to the means to fight against air superiority. and then came the drones.

it is quite a sad story honestly and may easily be a candidate for the worst atrocities committed by European and American history. But it was so cheap and the two wars to the north was so big and flashy and on tv all the time and so damn expensive, nobody actually noticed.

I went into this topic as deep as I knew how back at the time and it was a couple versions of ATS back actually. I wonder if it is still saved. should be circa 2005-2006, anyone know how I can look that up?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I could only find handful of threads involving the 2005-2006 revolution based on the search function which turned up this abovetopsecret.com.samuru.com... I know there was only a modest turnout discussing it at the time but there were definetly many more threads on this incident in history back then including many I did as well. I will continue to search for them.

top topics

join