It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation Experts..Help? What is this map of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hey guys.... I found this map and used it as part of a chemtrails thread last night. A minor piece of supporting material to a larger point being made there. Since then, I've really spent time looking at it and the patterns it's showing.

Map of global contrails created by actual aircraft (This downloads a whopping 75+ meg of data to generate the motion tracking ....a warning for those who don't want that large a feed)

Obviously, by the link name I list there, I can see what it's meant to show and 95% of it looks just like what I'd expect to see. Aircraft in predictable clustering for numbers and density along traditional air travel routes around the world. It's fascinating for that in it's own right .....but look closer and outside the normal flight paths as I have been.

What the heck are some of those? Are they ghosts in the machine, so to speak? Anomalies which don't actually exist in the real world? You'll also notice the date/time group and how this isn't real time by any means..but that isn't necessary to get what I mean. There are some very odd and *VERY VERY FAST* "aircraft" depicted on that. Some I think are very likely meteors by my guess and the trajectory they take before disappearing from view. It looks from above as I'd imagine it would look from ground or sea level if watching a shooting star or other natural object coming into the atmosphere.

That still doesn't explain them all though. There are a few that are insanely fast by relative comparison to other jet tracks around the world and seem to be on their very own "established" routes?

So ATS experts in all things aviation, can I perhaps get some opinions (or more?) on just what this is showing and how reliable this type of a display is? Perhaps it's just guesswork and estimations with all the accuracy problems that would carry with it?

** More than one of the 'fast movers' appears to make almost 90 degree turns and one, reverse course back down it's own track over the North Pacific. This can't be based on solid radar or similar tracking data, can it?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Nevermind..lol..

I found it....
edit on 14-4-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So ATS experts in all things aviation, can I perhaps get some opinions (or more?) on just what this is showing and how reliable this type of a display is? Perhaps it's just guesswork and estimations with all the accuracy problems that would carry with it?

I would U2U Uncinus and ask him for an explanation as it is from his site.

I looked at that animation earlier and it was surely an interesting map.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The site you mention, contrailscience, is run by one of our members, Uncinus.

In this thread he explains some of the issues he was having with the ATS-B dataset he got from somewhere, and how it results in some strange looking activity.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The really fast stuff that I noticed was on the northern edge.

I think it is a function of the cartography. The further you go away from the Equator, the faster the flights appear to move, especially when they are on an East/West heading vs North/South.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Well, thank you very much Alfa. All the more so by how quickly you replied with that. I see his last post here was just last month and he logged in about a week ago. I'll certainly drop him a U2U. Indeed... I'll bet that's all it is then. Just tricks of the curvature of the Earth and how it shows these things. All sorts of odd ways that plays with data, I'll bet.

Never hurts to ask and one can't beat the quality of replies often coming back on a thing like this. It's appreciated!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

The really fast stuff that I noticed was on the northern edge.

Must be Vladimir Putin's IFO's, as you can see they are slowing down from warp 12 to mach 0.8 before entering the traffic flow to an airport.

Probably a glitch that make planes that would overfly the north pole or high north speed up and reappear on the other side of the map.

Well just a theory, since the earth is round, and the map flat.
edit on 14-4-2013 by Ivar_Karlsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This illusion tricked me a while ago.

Per Phage from way back in 2011:

The "fast movers" are moving at the same speed as the other aircraft. The reason they look like they are moving faster is because the map is "stretched" at the poles because of the map projection used. Notice how wide Greenland is. It is not really wider than the US.
edit on 14-4-2013 by fockewulf190 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hey dude,

It is really quite simple. Remember that the earth is a globe. A 3D sphere. But this map is projected on 2D. The anomolies you are seeing are aircraft passing over the pole. In reality they are only crossing a couple hundred miles. But on the map it looks like they are hypersonic.

You can provit it for yourself. Get the ruler tool on Google earth and measure the distance from Hudson bay to Northern Russia. its not as far as you think. And you DONT have to cross the Atlantic!

Cool site though!

BTW in my spare non ATS time, I work in aviation
and I know all about the things we can;t talk about. oops ive said too much!!

edit on 14/4/2013 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hey, thanks everyone for the replies. For the record, the explanations make sense and obviously there really wasn't much of a story here at all. Then again, that is why I opened it with a pure question and not any presumption of knowledge or assumption to understanding what I was looking at.

The contributions offered to make sense of what, at first, looked a bit odd certainly helped clear up the matter.

Thanks again and I suppose that, aside from a pretty neat map of world air traffic for given times, it's just as it should be and nothing out of the ordinary.

Better to ask and learn than remain ignorant and assume, right?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190

The "fast movers" are moving at the same speed as the other aircraft. The reason they look like they are moving faster is because the map is "stretched" at the poles because of the map projection used. Notice how wide Greenland is. It is not really wider than the US.

Don't you just wish you had Phage's data bases and experts to ring up to explain everything as conventional?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by fockewulf190

Don't you just wish you had Phage's data bases and experts to ring up to explain everything as conventional?

As a matter of fact, I do! It seems as though Phage's data bases and experts were in this really awesome thing called 'brain' which is configured by this even more awesome thing called 'knowledge', in particular there was this sinister looking Smoking Man in a skinny black tie who passed a note which said "google Mercator projection".
edit on 15-4-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

top topics

join