It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should the US care about Sub-Saharan Africa?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
What are the biggest threats to US national security that they pose?

Every region of the world poses some sort of risk so I'm curious to see what people think are the biggest risks from countries such as Zambia, Angola, Kenya, and Uganda. That region in particular.

I know they may not be as pressing as the situation in North Korea but its always good to keep your eyes on other parts of the world also.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
IMO, we have no national security interests in that area and should spend no tax money there at all.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

South Africa, for a start, is in a position to control the sea-lanes round the Cape of Good Hope (both the Dutch and the British occupied that site in turn, and it wasn't because they liked oranges).
To a lesser extent, an eye needs to be kept on the other coastal countries. Remember the trouble that the condition of Somalia is already causing for Red Sea traffic.
If you have ships travelling around a continent, you don't want the coasts to be too hostile.

edit on 14-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I believe once again the World Bank has its fingers into Afric as a whole, There was something on the news about a year ago about the oil reserves, Natural gas reserves, coal, diamonds, gold ect, the 52 or so contries in Africa are sitting on a bundle of wealth but there is noone there to manage it.

So I do believe if there is an uprising in Africa the US, Great Britain and other major powers see it as a possiblitly to make a buck.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I don't think there is a security threat from these countries.
Despite having very poor populations and questionable human rights these countries sit on mind boggling mineral deposits, precious stones and metals. Serious wealth that could be taken through investment by America's enemies.
All of which are vital for the western world and to continue our advances in the technology that drives and sustains the economy.
As with most questions, follow the money

exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu...
Map shows primary resources of African countries

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

Exactly, and the majority of the western world has no interest in seeing these countries advance, so they keep blocking most attempts at economic progress in Sub Saharan Africa.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Terrible, but true. This is why the Africans must revolt. But not even China would be an ally - as a strong Africa is also not in its best interests (it too is a hungry massive animal, devouring every resource in its wake to feed and sustain its massive and rapidly growing population of 1.3+billion).

edit on 4/30/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
In my youth we had conscription for whites in SA to fight the Marxists and Cubans in Angola at the behest of the US.

But never mind the cold war in Africa, or the fact that the ANC only got removed from the US terrorism list in 2008.
I mean they also funded them.

Now Jubilee 2000 and similar groups want apartheid reparations from all the organizations and companies that did business with apartheid.
That would cost the US consumer.

Then of course it is claimed that US evangelical groups are highly active in Africa, and push homophobia.

If the US political right is active in sub-Saharan Africa, then why not the left?

First we were unaligned as the "third world".
Neither aligned to NATO or the first world, nor communism and the second world.
Now we are between radical Christian and Islamist religions, with a good dose of communism.

I'd say if the US has no role in SA then they should stop broadcasting their propaganda and religious crap, and bugger off back to the Bible-belt.
But since that's not going to happen, and their preachers will keep fleecing our poor, all I can say is come for a visit.
Then you will see the complexity of the issues.
edit on 30-4-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Southern Africa alone is made up of 15 countries.
en.wikipedia.org...

South Africa has a debate about it as the most recently "de-colonized" country, although it is still stable and a regional world power.
Some economies have crashed, like Zimbabwe (with some astounding apologist attitudes from Western Marxists defending Mugabe and his kleptomaniacs).
Botswana is doing very well, and Namibia is fine.
The main issue is actually immigration and economic control from the rest of Africa, some Asian countries and especially China.

And then one sees American movies like Machine Gun Preacher.
www.imdb.com...
It's not even about any of our countries, but I'm sure that piece of disputed Afro-pessimist junk has just convinced part of the US to ignore us.

Of course the mines and conglomerates can't ignore us.
They need our minerals, as has been apparent since the Boer Wars and the Zulu Wars.
But culturally I'm sure the US sees us as a blank space.
Maybe I'm wrong.
I hope so.
edit on 30-4-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join