It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington Sells Out; Opts To Stay in New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Remington sides with government

Remington chose money over freedom. They got an $80 million government contract and chose to stay in New York to do the work. My response is that I will no longer purchase Remington arms or ammunition. IMO, that company has betrayed the people of the US by choosing to service the government and by staying in New York instead of moving to a free state.

This contract and the fact that Remington opted to fulfill it in NY will mean the anti gun state of New York will enjoy tens of millions of dollars of positive economic impact over the next several years from Remington and its employees. Many gun companies are refusing to do business with law enforcement or the governments of anti gun states. Some companies are even taking the step of moving their operations completely out of anti gun states. It would seem Remington has opted to do the opposite. Remington is owned by the massive investment company, Freedom Group, who also owns Marlin, DPMS, Para, Bushmaster and several other gun manufacturers.

How ironic. Remington is owned by a company that calls it self "freedom group", yet they sell the freedom of the American people down the river for a lousy 80 million dollars of our own money. We are literally financing our own enslavement.

UTICA, N.Y. – U.S. Representative Richard Hanna today announced that Remington Arms has been awarded a nearly $80 million contract to produce more than 5,000 sniper rifles for the U.S. military. The work will be done in Ilion by Mohawk Valley employees. The federal contract comes from the Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), a division of the U.S. Department of Defense. The contract will be awarded over the course of 10 years. “The award of this contract to Remington Defense further shows that they are the premier manufacturer of sniper rifles for our Armed Forces,” Rep. Hanna said. “I have full confidence that this contract will be fulfilled with the high quality and standards that define our Ilion workforce. I fully support Remington Arms and will continue working to ensure that the company and its dedicated employees can thrive in Herkimer County for generations to come.”

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Here is a link to the Freedom Group website.
It has a list of the brand names that they sell products under.

Just in case anyone feels like boycotting the sellouts.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The parent company is Cerberus. Guess what? They have investors:

Investors include prominent government and private sector pension and retirement funds, charitable foundations, university endowments, insurance companies, family savings and sovereign wealth funds.

en.wikipedia.org...

And you want them to spend money to move to placate your anger towards the government? Right.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by DarthMuerte

Meh. How much would it cost to move the factory? That's a lot of industrial equipment to move, not to mention changes in freight costs when mlving to a new location, plus finding people to work in the factory.

I imagine that this is for the M24 kits, which is a fancy 700. I could understand being upset if they were adding new production lines.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

What about the jobs of the people who work for Remington in NY?

Do the jobs matter or do you just care about satisfying an urge to quell any form of gun control?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

Do the jobs matter or do you just care about satisfying an urge to quell any form of gun control?
They voted against those jobs when they decided that the instruments being made were too evil to be owned by citizens.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I own lots of guns but no Remington. The next pistol, I was going to buy was going to be the newish Remington 1911 R1 enhanced. I can get the same thing from Sig or Rock River

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

They voted against those jobs when they decided that the instruments being made were too evil to be owned by citizens.

So you would be willing to see people out of work to quell your anger? Maybe some of those people are of age. That means they will not get other work in this economy. Probably many actually. But that's OK. As long as you are happy I'm sure they'd be willing to make that sacrifice.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by DarthMuerte

Your reasoning is off. I am a conservative in California and exactly 0 of the people I've voted for made it to office.

Everything the state does does not reflect my values or wants. The short version is the state assembly does not represent me.

I imagine a lot of people in NY are in the same boat, probably moreso at the Remington plant. So to say they voted for it is a logical punt or a total lie.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I still fail to see HOW this equates selling out.

You have to prove that point using facts, not your own personal opinion(s).

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

May I suggest moving to a state that better reflects your values then?

Conservatives tell liberals to do it all the time. Perhaps they could take their own advice for once?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Well duh. Hopefully, if I get this job I will be gone inside of July.

Lived in blue and purple states long enough. For the birds as far as I am concerned.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Would never want to set foot in any "Red" state simply because of the fact that they siphon money from people in Blue states (why do you think our taxes are so high?) so they can then turn around and make all kinds of silly rules for people who wish to use public assistance.

Plus, some of these states have a one or a combination of the following: high rate of obesity, teen pregnancy, suppression of gay rights, women and minorities.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

If that's what you care about. Sure.

After three brutal years of working a job that only pays 1/4 of what I used to make, and seeing no recovery, particularly in CA, its time I skedaddle to a more friendly climate.

I'm really only interested in one thing: generating wealth and prosperity for myself and those around me. As the recession lingers on and the economy enters zombie-mode, people treat "wealth" and "prosperity" as dirty words for some reason. I find leftists to be more hostile towards such things.

Fat, minority, gay, welfare, daughter-impregnation aren't things I concern myself with. I simply believe that prosperity solves most, if not all, problems. Unfortunately, I don't feel the love for up and comers in purple or blue states. They have established wealth epicenters and government mandates. The red (poor) states are looking for people to give them one.

It's like an old joke about Africa: a man from the US visits, looks around and reports back saying, "There are no business opportunities here. They have so little they don't even have shoes."

A Chinese business scout calls his home office in Shanghai reporting, "Immense business opportunity! They don't even have shoes!"

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

It depends on how you acquire that wealth and success.

Do you do it by ruthlessly stepping over others by collecting huge tax breaks while sending jobs overseas? Do you do it by forcing your employees to take pay cuts so that you can make up for a "bad investment" that cut into your bottom line?

Or do you do the old fashioned way by working hard to support yourself, your family and if you so desire, your community as well?

I'm sorry but as a liberal, that's just one stereotype that has to die.

And before you counter with the r-word (regulations), if businesses had little or no regulations, most Americans would not have jobs in the first place. They'd be either dead, injured, unemployed or a combination of the three.
edit on 15-4-2013 by VaterOrlaag because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Why would any business want to kill or maim you? It means you can't or won't come back to give me your money again, which is a terrible business plan.

Those businesses that meld with government are "too big to fail" and simultaneously too weak to survive on their own. The great game of business is living life like Kipling's "If".

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Profits?

Why do you think Big Pharma's business model is so successful?

Conduct limited trials on Mystery Drug X, release it in a hurry and when, oopsie, a couple dozen people die, deny everything and proclaim your innocence at every turn.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Again, you are trying to make the argument that pharma wants to kill you or cripple you, which means you can't buy or afford any more of their products effectively ending profits. Horrible business plan.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

That was only an example.

That being said, you could say that Big Tobacco's business plan is equally messed up.

Funny thought here: What do guns and tobacco have in common?

If both products are used as intended, they will maim and/or kill those who use them.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Again, tobacco doesn't want to kill its customers. A long living smoker is the best customer. Smoking does kill, but it's not the intention of the company. At share holder meetings they don't outline their "kill and maim" strategy for the quarter.

Guns also don't kill or maim their customers. That would be a crappy gun. Guns can kill or maim others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join