It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida fourth graders allegedly told to write down desire to give up constitutional rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
We've all heard it before, that the schools are only set up as a tool of indoctrination. Well, I believe it.. and with all of the articles coming out lately of kids being taught that the constitution is bad, and that they should give up freedoms for safety.

A father in Duval County, Florida has alleged that his son’s fourth-grade teacher instructed students to express — in crayon — their desire to trade rights guaranteed in the Constitution for a feeling of added security.

The concerned father, Aaron Harvey, says his son and other kids in his son’s class had to scribble: “I am willing to give up some of my constitution rights in order to be safer or more secure.”

The incident happened at some point during a civics lesson at Cedar Hills Elementary School in Jacksonville, Florida, reports First Coast News.

A local attorney had spoken to the class prior to the assignment, explains local radio station WOKV. The purported goal of the overall lesson was to “create an awareness” of constitutional rights and help the fourth graders “determine their opinions on which rights they value most and least.”

“I don’t believe that any American or American child should be asked to write this,” Harvey told First Coast News.

Amy Harvey, the boy’s mother, concurs. She was the one who found the tri-color treatise languishing in her son’s backpack (where it had apparently been sitting for several weeks).

“If I don’t check his backpack, I won’t find things like this,” she told First Coast.

The fuming father noted that his 10-year-old son can’t possibly want to give up the rights he enjoys under the Constitution because he doesn’t fully understand the rights he enjoys in the first place.

“I served in the military. I served to protect my family, my country, and that Constitution and everyone’s freedom,” Harvey added, according to WOKV.

Officials for the Duval County Public Schools can’t seem to keep their story straight. Initially — hilariously — district officials allegedly assured Harvey that his son had undertaken the declaration to give up rights entirely on his own, with no encouragement from his teacher. Spokeswoman Marsha Oliver has since told WOKV that an investigation is underway.

According to First Coast News, Superintendent Nikolai Vitti has also issued this statement: “The Justice Teaching activity on constitutional rights that was conducted at Cedar Hills Elementary School is consistent with our efforts to broaden civics-based education and develop critical thinking skills among our students. The lesson builds awareness of First Amendment rights through a partnership with an association of local attorneys. Our possible concern rests with a follow-up activity that may have been conducted after the lesson.”

On Friday, Harvey also had a conference call with his son’s teacher (as well as the principal and a counselor). An in-person meeting is scheduled for this coming Friday. A group of parents has been invited to attend.

So it all started with them bringing a lawyer in the picture, all to "bring awareness" of constitutional rights.. Yeah, like these slimeballs have any right teaching children anything. The father served in the military for the constitution and the freedoms of the people, which he believes is true, others may see it differently... So they take a proud father, and teach his son that being anti-american is Ok, and you should give up your rights in order to be safe.

So the school system can't keep it's story straight, and they say the boy wrote this down on his own accord, no involvement from the teacher. They say it's an exercise to bring awareness to the First Amendment. I don't believe this boy knows enough about the constitution to just think of writing that down on his own, I believe there is definitely a political agenda in the classroom, especially when they are young. So ATS, any of your kids been forced to write down some Anti-American things yet?

on another note, just because this will be open discussion.. perhaps it's the parents who are at fault, and are using this for publicity, nothing is out of the realm of possibility anymore.

DailyCaller

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
In case you hadn't noticed, there's this little thing we call a "search engine" available exclusively on Abovetopsecret.com, capable of locating things like topics you might be interested in...and threads that have already been posted.

Like this one.

Father Sickened By Anti-Constitutional Note From Son’s School
edit on 14-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
In case you hadn't noticed, there's this little thing we call a "search engine" available exclusively on Abovetopsecret.com, capable of locating things like topics you might be interested in...and threads that have already been posted.

Like this one.

Thanks to your moderation skills, and telling me about how awesome the search function works, I will consider that thread.

Maybe the search function isn't as great as you believe it to be.

It also appears the OP was banned. and I actually put thought into my thread... interesting what ATS likes to see.
edit on 4/14/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Hmm. I had noticed, but I didn't think the OP's ban would affect the progress of the thread. There's more than enough participants to keep the momentum going.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

Hmm. I had noticed, but I didn't think the OP's ban would affect the progress of the thread. There's more than enough participants to keep the momentum going.

Right, but you came into my thread in a pretty rude manner, as if I have never used the search function in my entire existence of using ATS.

I use keywords to search, then I use the actual title of the article. The OP changed his title to something sensational, and those weren't words I used in the search, so naturally I didn't see it.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Like this one.

Unless you were too ignorant to realize that some people don't come on ATS every minute of every day to read this, its okay for things to be posted a couple of times. This helps me, and others of the like to see things we might have missed without wasting a bunch of time on the search engine to look up old articles rather than see current topics. So if you could (waves hand in shooting motion) just take your sarcasm else where that would be great, okay, thanks.......

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Please follow this topic in the thread noted above.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join