It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things Mrs Margaret Thatcher didn't do

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I just would like to throw my penny’s worth in regarding the Falkland Islands war and a statement made by John Fowler (Superintendent of Education for the Falkland Islands). It is taken from a book called 'Forgotten Voices of the Falklands'....'In 1980, Nicholas Ridley (British Minister of State) came down here and spoke to a packed audience in the town hall. He offered us two options, to remain as we were, which he said wouldn't work; condominium, shared sovereignty, or the favoured option – a Hong Kong style leaseback arrangement with Argentina. After some barracking and a lot of perceptive questioning, Ridley lost his rag and said ' This isn’t the Victorian era. We're not going to send a gun boat down to save you if you get yourselves into trouble, on you're heads be it if you continue with this intransigence .' Had Mr Ridley looked down to his left he would have seen a group of Argentine air officers who were immediately on the phone back to Argentina saying ' there it is. The British Minister says it's OK. It would appear that if we invade, the British Army wont do anything.'

The War began the following year.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by alldaylong

My daughter is currently unemployed. So I do know

Anything else???

So your daughter is still paying The Poll Tax? She must be the only one who is

Lost the plot obviously...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

also we were GREAT BRITAIN then and not uk

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
Didnt do. LoL. Had to delete my post
edit on 14-4-2013 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

OK she didn't provide any kind of back up plan for the miners that were going to lose a job and the families that were going to split up and people starving. A simple screw you and people went through riots and beatings. She should have handled it differently.

Do you have any idea who and what Thatcher was really fighting???

It was actually a "screw you" to the 4th International Marxists who had been infiltrating British Trade Unions since 1924. I believe the Zinoviev letter from the Soviet Bolsheviks to the British Communist Party in 1924 was not a forgery (as the newspapers predictably said) and it was likely that the Labour Party increased its vote as a result of it.

www.blacksacademy.net...

"In 2007 Daily Mail published an article based on declassified Soviet documents where Arthur Scargill personally contacted Moscow to secure sufficient funds, that were to be transferred through Warsaw[37]. The NUM received payments from the trade unions of Soviet-occupied Afghanistan[citation needed]. Soviet miners who sent money to the NUM[citation needed] would not have been able to obtain convertible currency without the support of the Government of the Soviet Union and Thatcher claimed to have seen documentary evidence that suggests that the Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev, authorised these payments. The diaries of Anatoly Chernyaev, a senior party official in the Soviet Union at the time, also lends credence to the interpretation that the funding was provided at the behest of the Soviet government"

en.wikipedia.org...

Clearly Thatcher did what she had to do to delay the Marxist infiltration and control of Britain until Tony Blair and "New Labour" finally screwed Britain to death and made it the mess it is today.

Thatcher was a true British hero and anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand what Britain has been up against since 1924.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I found this interesting it is from one of my papers written by Allister Heath (editor of City AM]

Todays opinion polls on Thatcher are spectacular, YouGov finds that she is deemed the

greatest post 1945 Prime Minister ((Tony Blair eat your heart out ))
and that 52%

of the public believe that she was a great or good PM.

It was actually a YouGov/ The Sun poll.....and it only interviewed 1,893 adult's including those 18 years+ many of whom weren't even born when she was prime minister or were toddler's.

28% people named her as the best prime minister since 1945 with Winston Churchill a close second at 24%

48% felt she left Britain economically better off

51% felt she created more opportunities for women

49% felt she left a less equal society

25% felt she left a more equal society

25% of those 1,893 interviewed thought she was a great PM

23% of those 1,893 interviewed thought she was a terrible prime minister

Overall 47% felt Margaret Thatcher's time as PM was good for Britain and 36% felt it was bad for Britain.

50% of those interviewed felt it was right for her to have a full ceremonial funeral at St Paul's cathedral.

Not sure what Allister Heath is on about as the result's of that poll were hardly "spectacular" by any stretch of the imagination.

Full YouGov/The Sun survey result's

All the poll result's have proved is that she split the nation.....which everybody already know's and is widely accepted as fact and is what many have been saying on the various thread's on here.

By the way, in a more recent YouGov/ The Sunday Times poll she came slightly worse off in some of the previous question's and they were also asked different question's such as..

" As Prime Minister, do you think Mrs Thatcher did or did not do enough to regenerate areas where traditional industries like coal and steel were closed?" they answered
11% She did do enough to regenerate these areas and
provide alternative employment.
71% She did not do enough to regenerate these areas and

People also voted as to whether she left a more united nation or a more divided nation. The result's were as follow's

61% a more divided nation.
16% a more united nation.
12% no difference
11% don't know
Full YouGov/The Sunday Times Survey result's ( scroll down to page 7)

edit on 16-4-2013 by Logos23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
Didnt do. LoL. Had to delete my post

OK she didn't provide any kind of back up plan for the miners that were going to lose a job and the families that were going to split up and people starving. A simple screw you and people went through riots and beatings. She should have handled it differently.

Wilson closed more mines and more miners lost their jobs under him than Thatcher..... but for some strange reason that doesn't seem to get reported much these days.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
gah bleh yuk.

sorry, i've stayed away from thatch threads untill the initial fire burned a little, but i could not help that.

i grew up in thatcher's britain, her's was the first administration i properly remember (i recall callaghan and possibly heath, but barely).

quite simply, she made britain what it is today. she sold off national industries to make a few richer, she sold off the social housing stock to buy votes and make landlords richer, while denying affordable housing to those in need. she destroyed manufacturing to destroy the unions, who while they were out of hand at the time are sorely missed today imo. she did not believe in society so had no care what happened to the midlands and the north. she made the rich even richer and ensured it would stay that way for a long time .... besides this she was an all round work of evil
she traded short term financial and political gain for our futures and if i believed in hell i would be happy for her to burn there.

who cares what she did not do, it what she did do that counts
edit on 16-4-2013 by skalla because: clarity, spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logos23

I found this interesting it is from one of my papers written by Allister Heath (editor of City AM]

Todays opinion polls on Thatcher are spectacular, YouGov finds that she is deemed the

greatest post 1945 Prime Minister ((Tony Blair eat your heart out ))
and that 52%

of the public believe that she was a great or good PM.

It was actually a YouGov/ The Sun poll.....and it only interviewed 1,893 adult's including those 18 years+ many of whom weren't even born when she was prime minister or were toddler's.

28% people named her as the best prime minister since 1945 with Winston Churchill a close second at 24%

48% felt she left Britain economically better off

51% felt she created more opportunities for women

49% felt she left a less equal society

25% felt she left a more equal society

25% of those 1,893 interviewed thought she was a great PM

23% of those 1,893 interviewed thought she was a terrible prime minister

Overall 47% felt Margaret Thatcher's time as PM was good for Britain and 36% felt it was bad for Britain.

50% of those interviewed felt it was right for her to have a full ceremonial funeral at St Paul's cathedral.

Not sure what Allister Heath is on about as the result's of that poll were hardly "spectacular" by any stretch of the imagination.

Full YouGov/The Sun survey result's

All the poll result's have proved is that she split the nation.....which everybody already know's and is widely accepted as fact and is what many have been saying on the various thread's on here.

By the way, in a more recent YouGov/ The Sunday Times poll she came slightly worse off in some of the previous question's and they were also asked different question's such as..

" As Prime Minister, do you think Mrs Thatcher did or did not do enough to regenerate areas where traditional industries like coal and steel were closed?" they answered
11% She did do enough to regenerate these areas and
71% She did not do enough to regenerate these areas and

People also voted as to whether she left a more united nation or a more divided nation. The result's were as follow's

61% a more divided nation.
16% a more united nation.
12% no difference
11% don't know
Full YouGov/The Sunday Times Survey result's ( scroll down to page 7)

edit on 16-4-2013 by Logos23 because: (no reason given)

You are quoting The Sun as your source for Intelligent feedback regarding Thatcher

Seriously

12 flags thats good news for ATS...we have only 12 Sun Reader members.. Sun Reader is a Synonym...

p.s that sarcasm was implied to the poster logos was replying to
just to make it clear.

I seriously think the dumbing down process backfired

edit on 16-4-2013 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

Is that all ele gets a load of silly wee faces filling up the page and a quote about a newspaper you have read also?

Why don't you say why you think its wrong it is a long list i no but i'm sure if you go down them one by one you could get a good debate going with your proper answers.

You don't have to quote from a rag as i'm sure you will have all the answers in your head as you have had a good laugh at there percentages please do enlighten us all.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

Is that all ele gets a load of silly wee faces filling up the page and a quote about a newspaper you have read also?

Why don't you say why you think its wrong it is a long list i no but i'm sure if you go down them one by one you could get a good debate going with your proper answers.

You don't have to quote from a rag as i'm sure you will have all the answers in your head as you have had a good laugh at there percentages please do enlighten us all.

Other than crying and spitting with laughter on my screen it seemed appropriate

I provided you with real information but it seemed to conflict with the My Little Pony World you appear to live in.

Remember ATS Deny Ignorance and NEVER feed a TROLL especially when they are so illinformed.

NEWSFLASH.. YouGuv was founded by Stephan Shakespear and Nadhim Zahawi.... Nadhim Zahawi is a TORY MP... The Sun is a News International paper and owned by...... Rupert Murdock the same News International David Cameron was trying to defend and limit the damages to, for as follows: Hacking a Dead Girls Phone, Insider Trading, Intimidation of Celebs and the public. The list is long... Leveson Enquiry
Now thats the last scrap i'm chucking to the troll...

edit on 16-4-2013 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If you have nothing to add to this thread on Mrs T then feel free to leave it, you seem to be going a bit of topic with your mucky little mind and throwing the word troll around in lovely red writing this is a thread for anyone over the age of 50 who remembers the 80's or an adult who would like to debate Maggie, faults and all which she had many as did every PM.

Thank you for your advise about trolling and chosen colours i'll keep them mind.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

but if you really open your eyes and read what she had done she wasn't all that bad.

That's all I needed to read for you to lose all credibility on this subject. Wasn't that bad? My god, how can you be so naive.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0rbital

but if you really open your eyes and read what she had done she wasn't all that bad.

That's all I needed to read for you to lose all credibility on this subject. Wasn't that bad? My god, how can you be so naive.

hell yes! to analyse or defend someone on the basis of what they have not done is grasping at straws.

mind you, i'm not over 50.. hmm, should i even be here? actually yes, the op cannot define who takes part in a thread.

Britain is still reeling from thatch.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here is something else Thatcher failed to do:

The fact is that under Thatcherism the UK’s trade position went from the merely weak to the totally disastrous. The UK ran a current account surplus of 0.6 percent of GDP in 1978, the last full year before Thatcher came to office. As of 1989, the last full year before she was ousted by her own party in May of 1990, the current account DEFICIT had reached an appalling 3.9 percent of GDP. In the meantime Thatcher presided over a savage program to destroy the UK’s core exporting industries and, with wholesale financial deregulation, laid the groundwork for the catastrophic financial bubbles of more recent times.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

lol i didn't mean it that way skalla i just thought someone was being a bit childish with her post, i made that mistake to but then i started to act my age as they say.

I no i hang my head in shame once again my foot in my mouth got the better of me!!

I still say Maggie had her good points and her BAD (that's in caps so people can see it), i can't comment on the community tax debates as i will put my hand up and say i haven't got a clue what that is, as they say i'm clueless!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by windsorblue

Hi windsorblue sorry i missed you i didn't think to look up!

That must have been awful hearing that from a British Minister and feeling the Island was going to be over run with Argentine soldiers i understand how you must have felt. I wasn't that keen on Nicholas Ridley he was always coming over as very pompous.

War is the last thing anyone want's as mothers and fathers start worrying about families and friends, i sure hope that never happens again to the people of the Falkland Islands.

Thank you for sharing the info as i had never heard of the speech from Nicholas Ridley to the Falklalnd Island people it was a disgrace.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I think you didn't read my post properly i said or an adult who is willing to join in, it was just after the 80's i think that would mean a cutie like you who is underage lol (lucky beggar)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0rbital

Naive is something i am not Orbiral and name calling will get you no where as i'm sick of explaining myself but if you don't read past posts i'm sorry i cannot help you.

Winsorblue kindly put her pennys worth in, as she calls it without name calling or insulting people, and she told me something i didn't no and i'm sure a few other people learnt something new to.

If your calling me naive back it up with something i can hit you back with and not just"you lose all credibility on this subject", i didn't have it in the first place as you made your feelings very clear. Enlighten me with your wisdom.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

back it up with something i can hit you back with

I'm from Liverpool. Do I need to say anymore? Or do you not know enough about how this woman you're defending affected my city and it's people? To hear you say ''she wasn't that bad'' makes me feel offended to the core. As nice as you seem I think you must go through life with rose tinted glasses.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, I’m a he not a she by the way. I grew up in Thatchers Britain and the one thing I will never forgive the Tories for (Thatcher was not the sole instigator of all the problems, the whole cabinet should take their fair share of the blame) was the way there polices divided the country. Yes, the country needed to be moved from the calamitous mismanagement the Labour party had inflicted and the crippling financial burden they inherited, but the absolute callous way they implemented their policies ripped friends , families and whole communities apart.

I grew up on a inner city council estate, employment was high in my neighbourhood and the area was a great place to grow up. No body was affluent, but there was an excellent community spirit and the local schools had a high rate of students moving on too higher education. Four years after the Tories came to power the unemployment levels in the local area was monstrous, I would guess that 80% lost there jobs, those that were lucky enough to have employment found that they jobs had been privatised and they were working longer hours for a meagre wage. An apathetic disease went from parents to children , they saw that there mothers and fathers struggle and those in power didn’t seem to care so why should they? Truancy was rampant, crime levels soared, drugs and alcohol became the norm and the estate became a virtual no go area to the police. The wealthy filled their pockets with the money made by impoverished families and did nothing to help ease their suffering, and the repercussions are still being felt to this day. My little sob story is nothing compared to the miners families or those victimised for the colour of their skin (stop and search, the special patrol groups etc...) The Tories caused so much harm to this country and didn’t show any remorse or sympathy to millions of people who suffered, and that is why there is still so much hatred being displayed this week.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join