It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough in Hydrogen Fuel Production Can Bring a Low-Cost, Environmentally Friendly Fuel Source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

A team of Virginia Tech researchers has discovered a way to extract large quantities of hydrogen from any plant, a breakthrough that has the potential to bring a low-cost, environmentally friendly fuel source to the world, the researchers say.

Zhang and his team have succeeded in using xylose (“wood sugar”), the most abundant simple plant sugar, to produce a large quantity of hydrogen that previously was attainable only in theory. The method can be performed using any source of biomass.

This new environmentally friendly method of producing hydrogen utilizes renewable natural resources, releases almost no greenhouse gasses, and does not require costly or heavy metals. Previous methods to produce hydrogen are expensive and create greenhouse gases.

“The key to this exciting development is that Zhang is using the second most prevalent sugar in plants to produce this hydrogen,”

www.kurzweilai.net...
newsana.com...
digitaljournal.com...

Great discovery. Any discovery in renewable energy sources is a good news, especially a news like this: environmentally friendly low-cost method.

I apologise for a second thread on this matter. The first one was made in the beginning of April. I searched before making the thread, although I did not notice the thread when searching. Probably used wrong keywords. I was trying to find if there were any conspiracies behind hydrogen, negative effects and noticed that actually this news had already posted. I apologise.
edit on 14-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Nice find Hope this goes into mass production would be sweet.

Would this mean I could use it in my 93 model car?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This has been posted already

link here

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Interesting, but you can also get hydrogen from water, dontcha know?

I posted the whole Stan Meyer deal ages ago, including the fact that we tested it and it WORKS.

Result?

Zero views, zero replies.

It's like peeps dont WANT free energy.........

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by playswithmachines
Interesting, but you can also get hydrogen from water, dontcha know?

I posted the whole Stan Meyer deal ages ago, including the fact that we tested it and it WORKS.

Result?

Zero views, zero replies.

It's like peeps dont WANT free energy.........

Hydrogen from water is not economic though this find is.
To extract hydrogen from water you are using more power than whats produced.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This is probably one of the most important threads in this forum, and one with the least replies...

I do not know what that says about ATS, but thank you for posting this.

Hydrogen will be the fuel of the next decades or even longer, that is without question.

top topics

join