It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm feeling so angry/guilty with myself...Other pet owners?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Who knows, even if one is as stupid as me,
A Life May Be Saved!

My most precious dog, Messi, is now in the animal ER due to an unknown hit by car, snare, or bite from a coyote onn his leg.

I am ranting at myself because I don't believe this would have happened if I had him neutered in the first place.

He escaped his 1+acre fenced backyard through digging, it appears,usually I do a weekly maintenance check. This week, an epic fail on my part because I was slack. I could come up with plenty of excuses but those won't bring back his former condition, if at all.

The reason I have not had him neutered is because we intended to breed him with our younger female, Abi. Situations changed; we moved cross-country and since she was younger, we spayed her instead. I was always afraid to put Messi under since he is/was? 5 years

I just don't think that he would have left the yard/garden if I had neutered him.

I am sooooo angry with myself. I feel so guilty. I have 2 small children who were so upset that it took them forever to calm to sleep. Their dad is at the ER atm.

Note to self: No matter your fears, Neuter in the future.

If you happen to read this, please send up your prayers and/ or positive thoughts to Messi, and thanks for listening to my big, fat mistakes.

edit on 14-4-2013 by watchesfromwall because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchesfromwall
Be Saved...

My most precious dog, Messi, is now in the animal ER due to an unknown hit by car, snare, or bite from a coyote onn his leg.

I am ranting at myself because I don't believe this would have happened if I had him neutered in the first place.

He escaped his 1+acre fenced backyard through digging, it appears,usually I do a weekly maintenance check. This week, an epic fail on my part because I was slack. I could come up with plenty of excuses but those won't bring back his former condition, if at all.

The reason I have not had him neutered is because we intended to breed him with our younger female, Abi. Situations changed; we moved cross-country and since she was younger, we spayed her instead. I was always afraid to put Messi under since he is/was? 5 years

I just don't think that he would have left the yard/garden if I had neutered him.

I am sooooo angry with myself. I feel so guilty. I have 2 small children who were so upset that it took them forever to calm to sleep. Their dad is at the ER atm.

If you happen to read this, please send up your prayers and/ or positive thoughts to Messi, and thanks for listening to my big, fat mistakes.

You should feel more guilty about neutering the poor fella!

Don't get him neutered.

I think it's unfair humans get to decide that animals should not have sex or procreate just because they are to be "Domesticated animals".

How would you feel if someone told you, we're taking your uterus so you can't have kids? Violated maybe? Asking why did you deserve it?

There is no proof your dog is at the ER because you let him keep his sexual organ, so let him keep it and pray he'll be ok.

Sorry for your dogs accident!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chipkin9

Originally posted by watchesfromwall
Be Saved...

You should feel more guilty about neutering the poor fella!

Don't get him neutered.

I think it's unfair humans get to decide that animals should not have sex or procreate just because they are to be "Domesticated animals".

How would you feel if someone told you, we're taking your uterus so you can't have kids? Violated maybe? Asking why did you deserve it?

There is no proof your dog is at the ER because you let him keep his sexual organ, so let him keep it and pray he'll be ok.

Sorry for your dogs accident!

Thank you for your kind words.

Before, I thought as you did, to a degree, but if it is between life/death and or unwanted pups/kittens being born, I have to extremely veer on the "get them fixed" side.

True, there is no exact proof that he left the yard due to his drive, but I should have noticed his digging and been mor vigiliant.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Well if it makes you feel any better, I went with my daughter to turn in her Pit Bull to the "Humane Society". Lily, the dog, had been going through violent siezures. My daughter's freind, who supposedly runs a shelter for these dogs, only berated her when he found out the situation saying she wasn't committed enough to her dog. After doing some research on siezures in Pits, we realized that not only would my daughter not be able to afford the treatment, the dog's condition with or without the treatment could put her children at risk from the dog. Ultimately, we took Lily to the Humane Society to have her put down. My daughter will forvever miss Lily. She did her best to be a responsible Pit Bull owner, Lily was spayed, tatooed that she was spayed, and chipped. It was a bad situation that we made the best decision we could.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Sending prayers for Messi...hopefully he'll be ok, maybe a limp....but dogs are amazing...and they adapt.

My Ramsey was a fixed male Golden Retriever, he lived to be 16 yrs. old, and that dog escaped every chance he got to go run at the creek across the street, then he would come home all wet and muddy ! Even when he could barely drag around his back legs, that dog wanted to go to the creek!

Don't beat yourself up, I think fixed or not, many dogs like to explore, and they will at every opportunity if that's in thier nature. My sister had a dog that would never leave her side, UNLESS he saw someone playing frizbee...then there was no stopping him!

Messi is an exployer, and hopefully you both learned........please let us know how he is when you can.....

edit on 14-4-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Positive vibes for Messi.

Don't blame yourself though.
I doubt having him neutered would have prevented him from going out for a stroll, my old Sha pei was always getting attacked until I had him neutered, after a few weeks when the musk or whatever it was had worn off he never got in anther fight again. Well apart from with rabbits.

Never bet on the rabbit

Cody

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Dogs will be dogs. I'm not certain that him not being neutered has anything to do with him escaping. I have a 35 pound female that was spayed, but she just was hell bent on digging and running. I fixed it by putting an electric fence at a low level. Fixed the problem quickly. I no longer have the electric fence.....she learned her lesson and I have a pet that knows her boundaries. Hope your furry loved one gets better.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sending good thoughts for Messi's recovery!!!!
Hopefully, he'll be home soon, playing with you and your family.

Whether spayed of not...he may have got the urge to wander....
Both our Huskies got the urge to dig and escape and both were fixed females....

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

Don't beat yourself up too much. Life happens, and you have an opportunity to learn.

Btw, what kinda of doggie? I read, and didn't see the breed.....If husky, that's perfectly normal behavior, and nothing you can do. They are wanderers. Mine would sneak out, and roam, but never go more than two miles away before I'd get a phone call. (Yes, I made a special tag for him to wear on his harness, with his name on one side, and my phone number on the other. That came on handy many times!)

Special thoughts go out to you and yours while your loved one is in the hospital. BEST WISHES for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It is Sunday morning and I got up about 1/2 hour ago; I just read your thread...and I said a big prayer for Messi.

I really believe that you are a good pet owner; and that you have been doing your best.

Messi is being watched over...

He will heal and be in good health again.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Don't beat yourself up. Dogs are dogs, regardless. The fact that you have him at the ER says a lot! Sending positive thoughts for your pup.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

For many dogs, neutering makes no difference. I have a golden lab, neutered, that is a runner. If he gets outside the fence, he doesn't listen at all, just wants to explore. He's really hard to get back. He'll go to any stranger he sees when he's gotten out - but he won't come back when I call him.
He just wants as many new experiences as he can get.

My shihtzu, is not neutered, and he listens well.
He ran out of the yard a couple of weeks ago, over a 4 foot snow drift going over the 4 foot fence
and came back when called.
I panicked when he got out. I live in the rural area, the little 10lb dog is in danger from cars, coyotes, and even large birds. Now he's on the leash with me until the snow melts down a couple of feet.

Every other male dog I've had has been neutered, the one that isn't - is the one that sticks by my side the best.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

First, good luck to you and your pup. ER visits are never fun or cheap. Second thing I wanted to say is its never too late to get him fixed. Being involved with animal health I'd rather see it done at 5 or 6 rater then 10+ because they have anal gland tumors, prostate or testicular cancer. On a side note, though if he is five or six neutering probably won't change his behavior at this age. He's set in his pattern. And although ill probably get flamed.... For those who don't like spaying/neutering ill tell you leaving them intact there are so many health problems that come up, and death is only one of them.
Sorry for the long post and good luck again.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm really sorry to hear about what has happened to you. Unfortunately life is filled with a lot of "what ifs" and I think that we could all easily drive ourselves crazy by thinking about them all. In my humble and short experience, things don't always follow logic nor make sense. Just look at the terrible things that happen to good people.. You cannot blame yourself for what has happened here, anything can happen, at any time. Please don't beat yourself up over it - I know you still will, but please try to give yourself some credit where it's due - you seem to be a very good person and a good pet owner!

I am a very big animal lover myself, and I know that nothing hurts quite as bad as when something happens to an animal under your care that you have invested so much love and shared so much with.. It breaks my heart just to read what has happened here, and I have faith that your pooch will be fine.

I am not sure what kind of financial situation you are in, but, I for one, would be willing to donate to help with any bills that you may or may not have a problem paying - please do let us know.

I'll send all my positive thoughts your way - I truly hope everything works out for you and again please at least try to not blame yourself - there's no way you can ever know what may or may have happened or happened differently!

Sincerely,

Andrew

** As a second thought: I currently have a rescued Black lab/unknown mixed mutt and she keeps escaping my yard despite having double fenced the darn thing and I've even driven stakes into the ground to hold the fence down tight but she still gets out... AND she's fixed! So don't beat yourself up assuming that this is your fault - some dogs are just escape artists!
edit on 14-4-2013 by hombero because: (no reason given)

** As a third thought - sorry! Dogs are amazing animals and are very adaptable, you might want to watch this, always have "faith", in God if you believe, or in Good if you dont
:

edit on 14-4-2013 by hombero because: so many reasons I can't remember which this was for...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

It's always a heartbreak. I feel your pain..
Please take a moment and smile, right now.. I am sending you a virtual hug!
You did the right thing, but it hurts I know

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well said! Sheesh,, wish I could have summed my novel-like post up as well as you were able to

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Ill be sure to be praying for messi and your family (Ill tell my friends and family so they can too). And try not to be so hard on yourself about it, I'm positive messi will be fine. I can say this because I had a dog that had a stroke a few years back that supposedly would never be able to get up and walk ever again.the veterinarian even told us to put him down because it was hopeless. My mother and I didn't and instead we thanked god because he would always get out of the yard somehow and we were terrified he would be hit by a car. we decided that we would love and take care of him until the day he died. But that same day he started to stand up and not even a week later he already taught himself to run again.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

your wrong mate and dont beat yourself up over it, i have a pair of brothers that were nuetered before they were one and they are complete bastards at times they try to dig, climb and break there way out and they ahev everything they want or need at home

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This seems like a stupid post to gain neuter/spaying support. If you couldn't keep your dog in your yard then thats your fault, neutering/spaying is evil, and outlandish. Why don't we rip out your uterus instead? Animals have the right to live and breed as we do.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Arolexion

I am of the opinion that this is not what the OP intended as their message with the topic... She seems to be very upset and could use some reassurance and was only trying to help others avoid the crappy situation she's in the best she could, no?

*edit*
Also, is it not true that many animals don't find homes and have to be put down to make room in already full kennels because they were birthed of an animal which was a companion to a family which became pregnant or impregnated another animal and the owners had no choice but to send the litter to a kennel?

I don't disagree that it most definitely is a very barbaric thing to do to any animal, but isn't it along the same lines as the euthanasia debate and whether an animal should be left to suffer when it needn't?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join