It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dawn - would you fight?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
God (or whomever is there, if anyone) have mercy on the poor bastard that tries to invade this country. I know in my neck of the woods, a boots on the ground invasion would be about as successful as Burt Reynolds' music career. Yes, I'd fight, but I'd be doing it on my own terms. Step into my back yard, and you will need a good escape plan.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yea. With one resolve. To protect my family and those who call out to me. I will not fight for a government that provoked grief because they feel it's their duty to police the world. The world is not yours to police, and that objective will not be included in my resolve.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here's the problem....

If Russia was going to war with the US, these would more than likely be the weapons.

Translation, " You're Fu**ed "

What could you do as a civilian about any of these things. Abso#inglutely nothing. Nice to know you're patriotic and willing to fight for your country, but if the US and Russia ever go at it, there won't be a hell of a lot you as a civilian could even attempt to do against them.

The US could absolutely retaliate, but it's more of a matter of shooting a bunch back and waiting for the strike. Detection, absolutely, interception, maybe some ICBM's could be intercepted in their primary or even secondary phases, but after that it's finding a needle in space. Even if you can locate it, it's a matter of getting your interceptor up to that altitude before it's reached it's terminal phase, which is pretty much game over.

Russia and the US both suck for this reason. If they launch an ICBM all you can do is launch them back.

As far as the aircraft go, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not at all saying the US isn't capable, or is inferior, but Russia would be one effing hell of a sparring partner. Likely ending in both sides resorting to their nukes, which is pretty much a MAD situation.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Hopefully we would never have to deal with a situation like so many other countries have had to such as this.

I am afraid it will happen sooner or later and if it comes down to it, Yes I would fight to defend my country and family no matter the cost.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I did forget both the US and Russia have subs that carry multiple Nuclear capable Ballistic missiles. Both are notorious for entering the others territory unknown.

Russian Ballistic missile sub.

US Ballistic missile sub.

Both pretty formidable. Go ahead Patriots pull yer yarbles out and proclaim you are better. Russia is still capable of making a first strike if it wanted to, as are you.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I take it that this a fifth-grade student thesis inspired thread, possibly on population psychoanalysis?
You do get a laugh though, one of the early posters would have no problem putting a few bullets into Ruskies and NK's, which is pure rhetoric.
As for the OP's 'fiction' who knows? the most secretive branch of the military is the navy/s who have been on patrol in subs for God only knows how long...possibly since subs were invented

What is true, at least as far as can be gleaned, is that the only sub actually nicked was by the US navy of K129 which was already dead in the water, although the US did attempt to steal another 'live' Russian sub in a failed operation, why??.
This thread is pretty much also dead in the water.
edit on 14-4-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

If it's dead, then move on....

And if you want to make insinuations about my thread, why not be open about it instead of acting like a childish fifth grader yourself? Unless you are afraid to say what you really think.... I guess that speak volumes about YOU.....oh, the irony.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Once again another movie fails to show realistic actions.Washington this time ,Red Dawn. That airborne unit would be dead in minutes.It would start when ONE of them opened up with his rifle and got a 360 coverage respose fire,accurately placed.I guess they don't know how to put that on film yet. Without indirect or air support ,it would be over fast.

Agreed....there was no accounting for realism.

My hypothetical question is built on the premise that someone would make it to the mainland US....albeit not in an identical fashion as the movie.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I'll respond to this post the same way I have the others that mentioned an invasion of the mainland US.

Given the geographic make up and size of the mainland. Given major bodies of water on the 3 of 4 coasts. Given an allied country to the north with the only real way in is via the Mexican border. It is essentially tactically impossible for anyone to launch a "boots on the ground" type campaign against the mainland.

I'm not saying a nuclear, biological, chemical , EMP, terrorist, false flag, some thing else could not happen. What I am saying is it is tactically impossible for any invading force to launch a successful ground based invasion of the mainland US.

In another thread someone used the war of 1812 as proof that America had previously been invaded. That to me is ridiculous because during the war of 1812 America was roughly the size of Montana.

Agreed. I think the success of a mainland invasion is improbable....And I think that many of our allies would jump to our defense, should any serious threat ever occur. But that's not to say that our enemies won't band together and make an attempt, especially given their nuclear and biological capabilities. If Russia and China ever decided to gang up on us, it might make for a long and ugly war with staggering casualties.

That being said, any enemy would be better served to bring us low through other means (such as bankrupting the US) than outright assault.
edit on 14-4-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
"Red Dawn - would you fight?"

Well Yes!
In fact....

WOLVERINES!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think that a lot of people who say they would fight back will reassess the situation when reality (if it was to happen) strikes. Self preservation is stronger for most people than the "hero" instinct....and most will rationalize that decision based on their present (at the time) family obligations - while abdicating their responsibility to their posterity long term. Sad but sobering.
edit on 14-4-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If we're going to say an invasion was possible.I'm sill going to say there would be
no need to fight, as our beloved government would see nothing, but expendable citizens.

They'd bomb the tarnation out of the occupied areas then make fake phone conversations
of people talking to loved ones about how their lives mean nothing when compared to love
of country.

So bottom line no need to fight. A foreign army who tries to occupy any part of our country
would be signing theirs, and any civilians death warrants.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

So, hypothetically speaking, if war ever did break out in the mainland....would you fight, even at the expense of your family? Would you give everything?

It was a movie. We've got more to worry about from the folks who really do have a habit of "invading" and "liberating" and we have a pretty good idea who's funding them ~ with our money. They're already invading American people's bank accounts and liberating their savings along with labeling anybody who doesn't like being robbed as terrorists, so there's not much use saying it couldn't happen here. That being the case, I'd want to know who was doing the invading and who was paying them to do it before I lifted a finger.

Russia and China apparently have a different method of bringing the US machine to its knees anyway and it won't require bombs and bullets, just surrounding us with trade deals that cut out the dollar and circulating an alternate currency that will choke the life out of the federal reserve banks.

This is bad how?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I would watch the remake but they replaced China with North Korea and ruined it. North Korea would never invade us or be able to. They replaced China because they wouldn't show it in movie theaters in China had they not. Its all about money these days not truth.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
To be honest, I find the anti-government comments both amusing and sobering.... Of course, it's no secret that I think our country is on a snowball ride to totalitarianism so please don't think I'm criticizing anyone's opinions!
Just making an observation...

Speaking of, does anyone recall this picture from the movie?

That says it all, eh? Talk about your political statement.... (Yes, I do realize I am countering an earlier statement I made about movies being about money and not propaganda. I still contend that money is the driver of why a script is produced, although I will concede that Hollywood is great about pushing their own agenda when the opportunity presents itself!)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I think we really need to stop romanticizing this country. This country was not, and will never be the greatest country and/or civilization that ever existed, for the simple reason that it was built off of the mass genocide of millions of indigenous people, and the backs of millions of African slaves. The country we have today would not even be possible without the blood, sweat, and tears of people we refuse to even recognize today.

Eventually, this country will have to pay back it's debt.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

after reading the first page, i felt my response was covered by others such as Hope stating how resources and location rather than values made the US so strong, and Destroy stating how the US was far more likely to get bombarded rather than invaded.

so i have nothing else to add, except htf did you arrive at the notion that the US was the greatest ever civilisation on the globe??? military toys, fast food and telly do not greatness make.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
25 million illegal immigrants simply walk across our southern border. An invasion of silence. Their here, we aren't making them leave and we aren't enforcing the laws they broke to get here. It would be more in line for Russia & N.Korea to invade Mexico, it seems there's no one there, because their here. Putting a blight on OUR Social Service programs, nationwide, taking jobs, working for less & driving down wages in every industry in which they become involved in.

Japan's leader knew the deal. You cant invade America, as there would be a rifle barrell aimed at you from behind every blade of grass. More to the point is start worrying about your own Government, and all the cival liberties it's laying to waste. What are we letting them take....everything man, everything. I would fight any foreign invader that tries to invade, with what ever weapon available.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

No. Not at first.

The reason for this is that we cannot just help our government after what it has been attempting. What I think we need is to break our government down and build it back up from scratch, because clearly the government we have now isn't working.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
If they did I really doubt they'd invade Texas... Too many guns here they'd be way outgunned

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwisoop

Be careful of breaking down the government to rebuild it....that is what the radicals who are now "the man" would like to do: from neutering the first, second and fourth amendments to changing our economic system to one controlled with "central planning."

edit on 15-4-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join