It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt private educated people. Should private schools be banned to stop them corrupting generation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Absolutely not.
I have news for you, their are corrupt people in all walks of life. Poor, rich, smart, dumb, athletic, overweight, male, female.
If someone can afford to pay for something then it should be their choice to pay for it. If that is private schooling , healthcare , vacations, whatever then so be it.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I never said rock stars were corrupt. I said why is it that they have children substantially less educated than other elites?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hmmm , how about little old me from a non private elementary/primary school who then attained a scholarship to a private boarding school - am I corrupt and accused of potentially ruining the system also ? Nope - the beauty of education in a democracy (of sorts) is that you make your choices - however , I will say that having been to private school meant my progress at interviews appeared to go well given the extra curricular activities it afforded me which go down Oh so well with Human Resources !

Please don't tarnish the private system though - it benefited me immensely with character growth , friends , (not the sycophantic get you a job type either !) and overall strength within - development was encouraged not admonished .

Maybe I was lucky .

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If I had the power I'd get rid of all forms of schooling and education so people can actually learn to experience life for themselves and form their own ways of thinking instead of being told how to act or think. Sadly, most people believe it's a good idea subjecting children into a life of disappointment and misunderstanding so I don't see that ever to be a possibility.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

For some people private school is more a place to socialize with other elites and learn to favour each other over other people: granted this is probably more a case with the very elite private schools.

I do have one questions why is it that the children of rock stars are unlike other elites.? Yes they use family connections to get good jobs and position although they do not need the money: in their case generally modelling. However other elites: whether they got their a generation ago or many: they are on average more educated by having degrees. I do not want to go into a discussion here on the merit of degrees.... However rock stars children almost never have degrees, or any qualifications.

Is it just that they went into music because they were less academic? Do they simply not care? Or are they simply less intelligent? Or with highly skewed intelligence? I suppose most of the above we will never know: I cannot imagine they would ever let themselves be protrayed in a bad light.

Is sending them to get ab expensive education the ultimate sign of wealth. That your dog can get a steinway if you have the money, but a talented pianist with no money will not have anything to play.
As I said though. I am very interested in why rock stars kids do not seem to excell academically like other elites do?

edit on 16-4-2013 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

This is crap the upper class are more corrupt. It is for this reason that you neven find working class people selling out their own country. No these people who steal info are always upper class.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

What you really mean please do not mention that my family paid a monster size bribe so that I would do well even if I was a complete prat. Or the other great argument, why can't I push my kid ahead of others who are more gifted. No it is private schools that allow our constant stream of prats to bugger up our country. Not all private educated people are prats, but it allows them to get ahead anyway. Theye get favoured for university, jobs, everything because their families paid a bribe: which is what private education is, it s not all about the education at all.

It is this attitude that gets people saying"You don't understand. I paid money for him to go to a private school, and go to university. He should be ahead of this person who is as qualified. Otherwise what did I pay for?" (This I have heard pretty much the same on many occasions).

This is paid for him to be at this status and so you are an arsehole for not wanting him there: attitude is much widespread. People do not want people messing with their bribe.

edit on 27-9-2013 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

werewolf99
reply to post by opethPA

This is crap the upper class are more corrupt. It is for this reason that you neven find working class people selling out their own country. No these people who steal info are always upper class.

What part is ?
Are you implying that their are not evil, dangerous, criminal, violent, horrible people in the lower/working class?

Good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Couldnt the exact same argument be nade against public schools? They are just teaching what the government wants them to.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Hm thats odd, I always thought it was the extremely low class people who were taking advantage of government programs, doing drugs, and just being corrupt in general.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

werewolf99
Should private education be banned in the UK, possibly the world? In the uk right now we have a situation where all the politicians, top exectutives..... are from private school. (Some also referred to as public schools here) The Uk has never been more corrupt. All political parties are full of people who studied at the same schol, university and the same degree.

People who have been privately educated cannot be trusted to act morally from their own volition.Their immorality has destroyed the UK's financial situation of the this country and probably others too. So should private schools be outlawed in the UK? Should it be made unlawful to stop them corrupting future generations?

I presume they are elected officials? If so, then blame your countrymen. If not, still blame your countrymen.

But to think you can create a law to bypass apathy is silly and tyrannical.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I dont know about private education over there in the UK but as someone who is finishing public high school down under(Australia) in one of the poor areas,
I learned that teachers couldn't be trusted to teach what they were meant to be teaching. Instead of relying on them I relied on only myself. Meanwhile my friends who went to private schools who had everything handed to them couldn't cope with most of the work I was expected to complete.
However since I dont know too much about the schooling system there the private schools may be best over there. After all my school does look like a toilet.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I went to a private Christian school until high school. I graduated from a public high school, but had covered most of the stuff I was taught in high school while in the private school. I honestly turned pretty wild in high school and was able to make B's with almost no effort.

I'm currently sending my oldest child to a private Christian school. We are not by any means wealthy ($60K/year income) and do qualify for some financial aid from the school. I live in Alabama but the school I send my oldest to is in Georgia (where both my wife and I are from and she still works). The difference in property taxes helps offset the cost of sending my child there. I hope we are able to find some money to afford sending both children there in two years. I hate writing the checks but am extremely pleased with the results. We give up a lot to afford it and are pretty open about it with our 7 year old. We didn't take a vacation this year and next year ain't looking to hot either. There are lots of people who go there who are better off financially than and others who are less fortunate than us but I'd say that were pretty average of other parents there. There is however one very serious irony, guess what the most common profession of parents are at the school? Yup, someone who works in public eduction be it primary through highschool or college instructor.

My child is in second grade, in addition to what you'd get in a public school, she's learning phonics and root-prefix-suffix of words in English, and has already earned over 70 AR points since the beginning of the school year. We've got to help her with her first research report due soon, which is a 3 paragraph essay about King George III.She's being taught real math not Common Core and is already doing multiple digit addition/subtraction using the standard algorithm and just started memorizing multiplication division tables. In addition to the better than public school instruction they have religious instruction that coincides with our families' faith and values and is also academically rigorous. They must memorize a Bible verse every week and are tested on it (along with academic work) every Friday. The first assignment in that this year was Psalm 18:2

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

and there were some last year that were longer and harder to memorize than that. Also, unlike in the public schools anymore, there are both art and music classes that she attends every week.

My resistance to writing the checks faded quite a bit last year when we went to see the Winter Program at the public school that some friends of the family send their children to. The Winter program there was totally incoherent, it was something about photosynthesis and the life cycle of a plant that was just plain weird. Our child's Christmas Program had some older classes participating in a the telling of the Nativity Story and our then first graders singing selections from Handel's Messiah.

In addition to academics the school competes athletically with other private schools (both religious and secular) throughout the state.

I don't know how education works in other countries and readily concede that there are many public school districts in the US that do as good a job of educating children as private schools. I don't live in one, and am willing to sacrifice financially for as long as I am able to ensure that my children get a quality academic education that reinforces the faith and values we have in our home.

So, if as the OP proposes, private education were to be made illegal in the US I'd fight it wholeheartedly, maybe even violently. I have access to the public education system, but choose to do without a lot of things I'd like to have ( more dinners out with my wife, trips to the beach, a nicer house/car, more savings, more charitable giving etc..) in order to offer my child a better academic foundation in a place that reinforces my families' faith and values.

On the other hand, in the US, I can't remember the last US President who wasn't an Ivy League graduate ( I think it was Reagan), and currently there isn't a single US Supreme Court Justice who isn't Ivy League educated. I think there is an elitism problem in the US but it lies beyond primary/high school. Parents like us are just trying to give our kids a better learning foundation than is available in the public school system.
edit on 28-9-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We have the same problem in the US, more at the college/university level. Virtually all he major politicians here--both parties--attended Ivy League colleges. Bush and Kerry, political opposites, both went to Harvard, and were even members of the Skull / Crossbones society.
Ivy League grads run the US--and not too well, I might add.
It's a network thing. X needs an assistant or has a vacant appointment and chooses Y, his/her old college chum.
Ironic that the US rebelled against a tyranny of elites and ended up with our own.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I believe private schools should not exist. The main reason for it lies in the belief that the education a child recieves should have no correlation with the parent´s wallet, unless they are willing to hire private teachers or provide extra educational materials/trainings outside school time. Whether one´s father is a billionaire or a homeless person, they should have exactly the same opportunities for attending the best schools. Money should have zero-benefit towards it and there should be no fee in attending schools.

I would give anything to ensure that my country will never follow the steps of US or UK, where private education is especally popular. Currently luckily the strongest private schools are not even able to reach the top one fifth in the country, although there are far more of these than when I went to school.

What is the problem with private education, you may ask?

1) For private education to work public education has to be weaker. Why pay money for something that is not better?
2) Private education weakens public education by hiring the best teachers from public schools. Unfortunately for many the money is dictating their life and higher salary is attractive.
3) Private education creates larger class gap between the poor and the rich and weakens social mobility. It is not a coincidence that social mobility is lower in countries with strong private education system - education matters a lot in a person´s future and when money dictates education, poorer kids (unless they are genius level) have no chance against the kids on the same intellectual level from richer families.

The choices can also be provided for parents by the country by adding more different curriculums in the public schools. The top schools in the country round here provide a lot of different directions in their curricula by having up to 10 separate classes in one grade (music, sciences, arts, social sciences, english-language oriented, language oriented etc ). There is a choice for everybody at the end + money does not dictate anything. Rich and poor kids do the admission tests at the same time & top 30 gets to every class, whatever their financial status. Only their intelligence matters, nothing else and that is how I wish it would stay.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I believe your idea has little merit, because if you take away the incentive to produce, people produce less. Children are a great incentive.

I get the idea that we should all live in harmony on this planet. But God didn't put us here. Nature did. And nature has laws, which we all ignore. A result of natural laws is that harmony is generally a rare luxury.

I should add: your education has so little to do with how successful you can be, that I almost want to laugh when the two are correlated. Education is important from the perspective of teaching the most basic things like how to read and right.

What matters is if you are bright or not. If you are, you can do fine with some hard work. If you are not, you will flip burgers and go on strike demanding an equal share of profits from your mcdonalds.

It is the "haves" who want to maintain status quo. The have nots want to change it. Neither the status quo nor the changes desired are worth a damn.
edit on 28-9-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I'm talking about private public primary-high school eduction in my posts on this thread.

Except at the most elite private schools in the US, private teacher pay is considerably less, with fewer benefits (healthcare, pension, paid vacation) with much less job security than teachers in public schools. Private schools can actually fire and replace bad teachers much easier than the largely union public school teachers. Public schools (particularly unionized public schools)tend to do nothing, move, and maybe even continue to pay a bad teacher after removing them from the children and putting them in a make-work job unless they do something criminal.

The disparities between private and public school teacher pay are even more pronounced in religious oriented private schools. Those that teach at religious private schools do so largely because they have a dual calling to educate children in the basics of both academics and faith.

I'd love to see a nationwide voucher system that allowed parents of any means to afford the education that I struggle to provide my child. I really think that the public education system would improve greatly if it had to compete against private schools for funding. Where my children go gets better results with much lower per pupil dollars.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Private schooling is not all about education: it is also about contacts. Old Etonians rule the uk because they all know and favour each other. But yes all people should have the same educational chances regardless of wealth. Also saying that private education is a reason for people to produce. But so is luxury which surely is the main reason people are supposed to produce. What is actually causes is a reason to stagnate, and keep things as they are and have no social change. Social change is a part of any progress, be it technological, applied science, etc.

Also it allows a sheen to be placed on people who are placed in aposition where they have little choice but be dishonest. The children of dictators, dynasties of rulers, criminals all can send their children to the best private schools, and they use it to add respectability. Is it any wonder that many of those who are alongside them also end up corrupt, such as the many etonian politicians seem to be.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Private schooling is not all about education: it is also about contacts. Old Etonians rule the uk because they all know and favour each other. But yes all people should have the same educational chances regardless of wealth. Also saying that private education is a reason for people to produce. But so is luxury which surely is the main reason people are supposed to produce. What is actually causes is a reason to stagnate, and keep things as they are and have no social change. Social change is a part of any progress, be it technological, applied science, etc.

Also it allows a sheen to be placed on people who are placed in aposition where they have little choice but be dishonest. The children of dictators, dynasties of rulers, criminals all can send their children to the best private schools, and they use it to add respectability. Is it any wonder that many of those who are alongside them also end up corrupt, such as the many etonian politicians seem to be.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

werewolf99

I get that. We have a similar thing in the states at the college level.

Having said that....when the questions starts with, "Should there be a law to....", the answer is always "No" unless the law is aimed at financial/corporate controls. The People have enough laws to burden them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join