It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recommend a good guru?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Can someone recommend a really wise and openminded spiritual teacher? I have a lot of questions

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by happydayze

woops - meant to say in atlanta area, but I suppose a "virtual" guru could work

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just make the answers up yourself, cut out the middle man.
edit on 13-4-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Just make the answers up yourself, cut out the middle man.

Agreed...

In addition, all "gurus" on this site are self labeled...so, they aren't worth the lint in their pocket.

Welcome BTW...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

tell me about it - I always refused to have any "Faith" If god existed I wanted her to show herself to me directly so I wouldn't have to listen to some dude who probably only has it half right at best

but when she finally showed up - it raised more questions than it answered

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
You don't need a spiritual guru. Try to be the best person you possibly can be, live a life of love and compassion and you should be fine. You don't need to follow any one path or religion, just take whatever gives you insight, comfort and inspiration.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

thank you - those are great words

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

your self is the only teacher.

introspection.

light a candle, burn some sage, and stare into a mirror for after a brief meditation for a while. you could also stare at the candle flame for a while first before you stare into the mirror

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Sent me £20000 and i will do it.
Remember if you want to get to God,you got to go through me.
Welcome to ATS.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Anyone who might recommend a guru would by necessity consider them wise and open minded, no?

This guru, if historical gurus are any example, would demand from you some long and intense period of self discipline which could take from three to twenty years of self denial and rigorous study, meditation, service and contemplation.

Instead, find a good book that speaks to you, read it, think about it, and find another. Then, repeat the process until you die. If you haven't found your guru by then you may want to come back and try again.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
You don't need a spiritual guru. Try to be the best person you possibly can be, live a life of love and compassion and you should be fine. You don't need to follow any one path or religion, just take whatever gives you insight, comfort and inspiration.

^^ THAT ^^

and perhaps make it a conscious effort to leave this big rock and her inhabitants a bit better off from your time here. (?)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

thank you onequestion - I am pretty far past the "basics" I've been able to completely quiet my mind and remove the ego altogether a few times now - Its the info that flooded in that I'm having a hard time understanding

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Yes, I've read The Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Dhammapada, the Bible, the Gnostic Gospels, Jung, The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, Be Here Now, and a bunch more - still so many questions...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
For inspiration you can't beat Wayne Dyer - He will raise you to another level! Enjoy the journey.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

**types "wayne dyer" into youtube****

thanks

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The ocean is not far away. But your ego is a frozen block - it needs melting. Love melts it, fear makes it more frozen, trust melts it. All that the people who are trying to find themselves have to do, is remain melted and allow the river to move on its own.

You should not be the guide. The river needs no guide. Its very nature is to reach to the ocean. It is not an effort, it is its intrinsic quality.
Osho

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you - what you are saying is very true. I look at my being as a soul or atman or "little sliver of god" that is surrounded by the mind/ego. Every time I thin out the ego further I get more in touch with the "source"
These days the ego is pretty thin, and I am getting "glimpses" of a profound nature. I want someone to talk to who is where I am now or well past it.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

What info?

Why are you having a hard time with it?

I understand actually... its life changing.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

well, this info and "glimpses" I get are sometimes very specific - I have pages and pages of info I have written in this state. Looking at it, I'm not sure what to make of it - how much of it just came out of my mind, how much of it (if any) is really coming from somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

so what do you need a guru for? to go through the information?

what will that do for you?

how you acquired the information, through the silence, is that not the guru, and more silence isnt helping you answer any of the questions?

do you not know what questions to ask?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join