It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawking: Humanity Must Colonize Space within 1000 years to Survive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Famed British cosmologist Stephen Hawking sees only one way for humanity to survive the next millennium: colonize space. And he's probably right. In a lecture Tuesday in Los Angles, the 71-year-old Stephen Hawking said humanity would likely not survive another 1,000 years "without escaping beyond our fragile planet," according to the Associated Press. Hawking has long been an advocate of space exploration as a way to ensure humanity's survival. Living on a single planet leaves us at risk of self-annihilation through war or accidents, or a cosmic catastrophe like an asteroid strike. Hawking's latest comments were made at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after touring a stem cell laboratory that is studying how to combat Lou Gehrig's disease. He's lived with the debilitating neurological disorder, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, for 50 years and can only communicate via a computer attached to his wheelchair.

www.space.com...

------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more realistic to colonize the ocean floor?
edit on 13-4-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Supplied with oxygen,water and food from where exactly????

Does he forget that the problems humans have will just be transferred to space?

Not an intelligent idea from a supposed intelligent guy

edit on 13-4-2013 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't doubt this for one second, but for me the trick will be surviving for the next 1000 years here on Earth , The threat of war, pollution, meteors etc, we will be lucky to make it another hundred years imho

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

water food etc. from this place:

Same thing you're gonna build on Mars but a little closer, like the bottom of tha pacific. There's tonnes of acreage down there, and terrestial airlocks are much easier to bulid than Mars containers..

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well we are overdue for any number of planet ending events so I can see why we would need to colonize space...simply to spread out the species so some avoid the coming cataclysmic event that is undoubtably coming.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Oh for real? Hawking is getting annoying. He is at his best here...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have always agreed with those sentiments.

Having went to school and grown up during the "space" decade of the 60's I feel we have totally wasted the effort and momentum that was acheived. Since that time IMHO we've wasted forty years at myopic undertakings which have done nothing but contribute to decline and rot as a society as we fell into a self-centered spoiled way of life.

Sure it can be pointed out that advances have been made in computing, medicines and science but to what end?

That day in 69' the world stood still as one together as a man stepped on soil other than earths. I yet to see an equal acheivement nor the widespread pride of that day - nothing has eclipsed it as far as I'm concerned and IMHO we've been on a long downhill slide since then.

We allowed the scraping of the jigs and molds to make Saturn V boosters, arguably the best booster ever made for "cost savings" now I understand it'd take a billion or more to replicate that cost savings.

Instead we put untold billions into a nowhere but low earth orbit boondoggle called the space shuttle which was suspect from the beginning as anything that would really advance space exploration.

We should have been refining Saturn rockets and moving towards moon colonization and beyond in those forty years.

I well remember those complaining about expenditures on space as taking away from "social spending" and have seen trillions thrown that way with utter failure as the money got sucked into a giant black hole with little improvement socially in the meantime and much more wrong produced as a result.

If the visionaries were given even half of that wasted upon social programs imagine where we'd be. I imagine we'd be talking about the latest news from Mars is what I imagine.

Alas, corruption, greed and myopic thinking won the day and here we are now still stuck on this planet as a species ready to destroy ourselves in our squalor of existance.

I wonder that the TPTB decided a space colony was just to dangerous an experiment as they'd probably soon have broken away from the control and politics we all enjoy everyday.

I sadly contemplate what might have been.............................................

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

That day in 69' the world stood still as one together as a man stepped on soil other than earths. I yet to see an equal acheivement nor the widespread pride of that day - nothing has eclipsed it as far as I'm concerned and IMHO we've been on a long downhill slide since then.

I am sure the mood was quite jubilant inside that movie studio.

Oh the glory days.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Do you really think they faked it Hopey? Just askin, I respect your opinion

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Oh the glory days.

I'm just about positive you did not live those days and I'm so sorry about that belive me you'd have much better outlook had you actually experienced the decade and the moments. I'm almost positive that someone who had not would equate things with movies because life after that really did and does have an unreal quality to it that makes reality hard to take.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555

Do you really think they faked it Hopey? Just askin, I respect your opinion

Although you will usually find me trying my hardest to debunk most conspiracies, I do indeed believe they faked the moon landing.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Oh the glory days.

I'm just about positive you did not live those days and I'm so sorry about that belive me you'd have much better outlook had you actually experienced the decade and the moments. I'm almost positive that someone who had not would equate things with movies because life after that really did and does have an unreal quality to it that makes reality hard to take.

True I did not live through it but studying history I always try and get a feeling for whatever the mood of society was at the time. Its a very important part of historical research and oftentimes helps you understand why things happened at a certain period.

The "red scare" would be a prime example of this.

I very well understand what a momentous moment this was for not only America and the world and the feelings of joy, pride, accomplishment, wonder, awe and everything else the people must have been experiencing watching this live.

It doesn't really have anything to do with whether the event was staged, for that exact purpose, or actually did happen.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Well I believe they did.. BUT..
There are a few things other than partially hidden extension cables and waving flags....
Like, for instance..
Why have the States been the only country in history to do it? Why haven't the Russians gone for it in the time given them>? The Chinese?
Seriously folks, it's been a while..

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Well I believe they did.. BUT..
There are a few things other than partially hidden extension cables and waving flags....
Like, for instance..
Why have the States been the only country in history to do it? Why haven't the Russians gone for it in the time given them>? The Chinese?
Seriously folks, it's been a while..

You also need to look at the political implications of not beating the Soviets to the moon. That was the height of the Cold War and we were absolutely determined to try and contain Soviet expansion. Once they beat us into space the political leadership went into a frenzy because of the fear that nations would start to believe that communism was more powerful than our system.

Once that happened they were afraid the domino theory would kick in and before you know it the world would be aligned against us, all under communism and just a few of us left with a capitalistic society. I believe they would have done anything, including faking a moon landing, to ensure that didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

So because there is a minority who thinks moon landings were fake then is that the justification for myopism regarding planetary exploration and colonization? surely even those who choose this path of belief know the ultimate benefits of species survival offered by speading out and away from earth.

I have to mention I equate faked moon landing threads right up there as obamites think of birtherism. I happened to live through the times and your belief is not plausible for so many reasons but I can understand its popularity with a much younger crowd who have trouble understanding concrete and meaningful acheivment.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

So because there is a minority who thinks moon landings were fake then is that the justification for myopism regarding planetary exploration and colonization? surely even those who choose this path of belief know the ultimate benefits of species survival offered by speading out and away from earth.

I have to mention I equate faked moon landing threads right up there as obamites think of birtherism. I happened to live through the times and your belief is not plausible for so many reasons but I can understand its popularity with a much younger crowd who have trouble understanding concrete and meaningful acheivment.

Actually I am a strong believer that we should have started human deep space exploration a long time ago and that it is the key to the survival of humanity. I basically agree with everything you've said except for the moon landing being real.

That being said, whether we did or didn't do it is not really relevant to what we should be doing now or that we have indeed wasted the last 40 years dumping money into social experiments instead of focusing on our future.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
well like i said in the thread that was posted about this yesterday.

hawkings has said before that the most likely outcome of contact with et is, they would kick our a@@.
so if we master space travel, and run into them. what would his suggestion be in dealing with them.

here is a quote from the article.

The aliens in Hawking's vision would be much like the malefic beasties in the blockbuster science-fiction flick Independence Day. He describes, "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach." He says that humans should try to avoid alien contact as we colonize space. He states that such contact would be "a little too risky". What would result? He states, "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans."

here's the link of the article.
Stephen Hawking Says Aliens Probably Out There, Will Want to Conquer Us

and the thread from yesterday.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I agree its time to go cosmos. But, carefully. And I won't go there, not really an adventuring type. But the solar systems beckons.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You also need to look at the political implications of not beating the Soviets to the moon. That was the height of the Cold War and we were absolutely determined to try and contain Soviet expansion. Once they beat us into space the political leadership went into a frenzy because of the fear that nations would start to believe that communism was more powerful than our system.

Upthread you talked of studying history, how about studying the multitude of massive and very deadly Soviet failures that happened in the race to the moon. We didnt have to fake it to beat them, they literally killed themselves trying to beat us - much came out in the record dump after the USSR failed. We could have taken our sweet time and still been there first.

Once that happened they were afraid the domino theory would kick in and before you know it the world would be aligned against us, all under communism and just a few of us left with a capitalistic society. I believe they would have done anything, including faking a moon landing, to ensure that didn't happen.

Its mental mastubation to justify a position, a position that would be true in regime change discussions but not space program discussions, look its again easy to go back to your history and see that the fakery was called the "missile gap" which occured after Sputnik was orbited - that was the time we far surpassed the USSR in technology as well as missile quantity as well as quality. All of that occured prior to the Apollo program.

From day one the Soviets were playing catch-up because Sputnik really was a propaganda exercise not backed by numbers or reliability - again look to their deaths in early space programs - remember this was a country that on Mayday parades flew the same bombers over Moscow time and again in ovals to convince the west they were powerful.

The history well documents that the Soviets fell behind by the early to mid-sixties and would not catch up until the mid-seventies.

If you are going to belive what you belive then at least read both side of the story.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

reply to post by pacifier2012

water food etc. from this place:

Same thing you're gonna build on Mars but a little closer, like the bottom of tha pacific. There's tonnes of acreage down there, and terrestial airlocks are much easier to bulid than Mars containers..

It's not just about protecting from natural disaster (asteroids strikes, for example), nor is it just about the limits of population on the planet, rather it's about putting space between people so that in the instance of war it does not engulf the entire species and lead to annihilation.

Separation needs to be on the scale of the solar system at least so that if war does happen it will require time for the weapons or the plans to be carried out on all peoples.

There's also the issue of diversity. I expect that if everybody stayed on the planet the global internet would tend to create a uniform culture that has scarce diversity and thus is vulnerable.
edit on 13-4-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join