It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet defies city ordinance banning display of military flags

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well people that are anti-war may become upset, people who do not like flags would be upset, there are many reasons why people wouldn't want to see flags just as some may not like to see a certain color of paint on a house or a lawn filled up with non-running vehicles.

We DO have a right to free speech.
We DO NOT have a right to never be upset.
edit on 4/14/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: rediced size of quoted text

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Having read the article and looked at the video the following can be stated:

This is simply a case of Freedom of Speech, nothing more. One can not meerly stop a person from displaying a flag or an idea all cause it offends. Many court cases have been fought and validated that very notion. The last court case that comes to mind is the one involving WBC where a group of nut jobs protest the funerals of servicemen, and the Supreme Court upheld that they have the right to do such. If anything the following court cases should make the case:

US v Obrien, 1968
Cohen V California, 1971
Texas V Johnson, 1989
US V Eichman, 1990

Those 4 cases in particular make it where a person has the right to what would be considered symbolic speech.

Though the question should be asked, where is the ACLU, is this not a case that they could take up, and bring legal aid to this person, defending his rights, as it is a clear cut case of where the government is restricting his freedom his speech?

I hope this guy fights it and wins.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz3
reply to post by Hopechest

tell me something : who woul;d b offended by our armed service men and women?? who wwould b upset???? the terrorist??? seriously when u tell me who wouyld care thaqt had this law made u have solved why it matters.
would u want that type of person living with u???

Well people that are anti-war may become upset, people who do not like flags would be upset, there are many reasons why people wouldn't want to see flags just as some may not like to see a certain color of paint on a house or a lawn filled up with non-running vehicles.

I don't know the specifics of why this ordinance was passed so can't comment on it.

But you are.
You appear to be very one sided? Just my observation

Why have people become so darn PC????
So what if you are anti-war...get over it. There is still such a thing as family pride and the 1st Amendment! AND the 2nd for that matter.
I don't get upset when I see a million churches on one street that practice a religion I do not subscribe to.
Who cares if you don't like the flag or color of paint? Really? We are turning into a nation of robots...
Its not like he is flying nazi flags geesh....
I am not a debater so I will end it here....

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

This falls under the First amendment, you know that document we call the Constitution, maybe you should read it once in while, after all it is taught to children in 4th grade unless you attended school in another country

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Why do you advocate not following rules laid down by society?

If he and others do not like the law than why not take steps to change it legally?

Can you imagine the trouble our country would be in if everyone just picked and choose which laws they want to follow?

I agree that its a stupid ordinance but it still should be followed until it is changed.

Are we talking about laws or rules??
I follow laws, but rules were made to be broken.
If you want someone to OBEY something then make it a law not a rule or ordinance or suggestion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join