It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best way/guide to meditation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by GermanShep

Its really simple,

BREATH.

Now pay attention to it, watch it, learn it, observe it.

There... now you know what to do.

Respectfully... I tried that. All I had is better lungs, not better metaphysical spiritual awareness.

If you concentrate on your body, all you'll improve is that said part of the body. I can do lucid dreams not by concentrating on my breath, but by improving or directing my brain functions using correct stimulations (which vary for all brains as their past experience is part of the system one tries to improve).

edit on 14-4-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I came up with most of my math, physics, visions, predictions, science and encryption stuff not by sitting in lotus, but by activating and stimulating that brain of mine.
reply to post by swan001

Hey if it works for you, go for it. Other folks have stated that altered states of consciousness have helped them immensely

Problems cannot be solved from the same level of consciousness that created them.” – Albert Einstein

Nobel Prize genius Crick was high on '___' when he discovered the secret of life
link

Hofmann revealed that he was told by Nobel-prize-winning chemist Kary Mullis that '___' had helped him develop the polymerase chain reaction that helps amplify specific DNA sequences."[31] Replying to his own postulate during an interview for BBC's Psychedelic Science documentary, "What if I had not taken '___' ever; would I have still invented PCR?" He replied, "I don't know. I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.
link

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by happydayze

Crick was on psychedelics, which activates the brain. Einstein was referring to level of knowledge consciousness, not metaphysical plane of consciousness.

No offence meant. Just defending my claim.

edit on 14-4-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Understood - psychedelics can pierce the the ego and silence the mind and put you in the present moment - this is the same goal as meditation is trying to achieve. My point was you can use the brain and think and come up with ideas, but its still not altogether clear where inspiration and totally new ideas come from. Meditation can definitely help you think. Also, most solutions to difficult problems require some sort of consciousness change, such as setting down the problem and NOT thinking about it for awhile and then the answer just pops up.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by happydayze
Also, most solutions to difficult problems require some sort of consciousness change, such as setting down the problem and NOT thinking about it for awhile and then the answer just pops up.

I agree. A bit like card shuffling will yield new combinations.

That's why also dreams (shuffling of ideas by subconscious) are very important, and REM-deprived individuals will quickly become ill.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by inval

This is great, thanks for turning me on to Mooji. I find guided practice is quite important. I appreciate what everyone has said in this thread, but sometimes a bit of guided meditation is helpful. Finding someone with a voice you warm to helps.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

reply to post by swan001

Understood - psychedelics can pierce the the ego and silence the mind and put you in the present moment - this is the same goal as meditation is trying to achieve. My point was you can use the brain and think and come up with ideas, but its still not altogether clear where inspiration and totally new ideas come from. Meditation can definitely help you think. Also, most solutions to difficult problems require some sort of consciousness change, such as setting down the problem and NOT thinking about it for awhile and then the answer just pops up.

You couldn't be more wrong...
In meditation, you want to reach the state of samadhi, one point concentration. How? By working and examining the nature of your suffering during the day!!!!! Once you understand their true nature, you can freely free yourself from clinging onto aimless thoughts. This is what Buddha called accumulating merits. By using drugs, you never work on your thoughts. You just simply become detached from them. When the drugs finished their jobs, you are back where you started.
No enlightenment. No progress. No merits.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiForce

reply to post by swan001

You couldn't be more wrong...
In meditation, you want to reach the state of samadhi, one point concentration. How? By working and examining the nature of your suffering during the day!!!!! Once you understand their true nature, you can freely free yourself from clinging onto aimless thoughts. This is what Buddha called accumulating merits. By using drugs, you never work on your thoughts. You just simply become detached from them. When the drugs finished their jobs, you are back where you started.
No enlightenment. No progress. No merits.

When it is realized that the silence is always there beneath the noise of thought, it may be realized that all noise is an appearance but what you are never appears.
All things (including thought) appear and disappear but what you are remains - undisturbed and unchanged.

When you find out what you really are - it is found that no thought ever refers to you anyway.

Everything is easier when you get the joke of thought.

edit on 15-4-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiForce

Hi ChiForce - have you done many psychedelics? Just checking if your viewpoint comes from dogma or experience.

earlier in the thread I told the OP about the practices besides meditation that I have found helpful. So I meditate,
and do other daily practices too - repeated below. I think maybe you think Im advocating drugs over other forms of practice - that wasn't my intention

---from earlier post to OP
Even when not meditating you can continue to progress in your practice. During your everyday life, be mindful of what you are thinking about at all times. Make an effort to eliminate the patterns of thinking that are negative like old stuff that happened that angered you or hurt you. Try to be in the now at all times, not thinking about the past or the future. Think about it - whenever you are upset, it is because of something that happened before or something you are worried about in the future, or some other thing you think you should be doing besides what you are doing right now. You can eliminate almost all unhappiness by just focusing on what is happening right now around you.

One more thing - Biofeedback!!! You know that when you are upset this translates to a strained expression on your face, tensed muscles etc. Did you know this works the other way too? Right now relax all the muscles in your face to a completely benign expression with maybe a slight smile. Loosen up any tense shoulders and let everything hang comfortably. Feel calmer? Of course you do! Biofeedback has solid science behind it with medical research and the whole lot. It has really helped me become a lot calmer in every day situations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join