It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats happening to the site? (Nothing at all)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

That is absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

edit on 4/13/13 by 123143 because: Pointless

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I am an internet marketer and this looks VERY familiar to me.

Happened to my sites as well.

*) You are either "slapped" by Google due to a change on your site, wrong SEO or whatever reasons and lost search engine rankings. This is sort of a penalty which MIGHT last several months and rankings MIGHT come back.

or

*) It is a change due one of the Google changes which is constantly going on where sites are "re-evaluated", so it's not a "penalty" per-se but an algorithmic change where your site is getting worse rankings due to new criteria.

If the drop in traffic is SIGNIFICANT (eg. drop in Google traffic) you should definitely contact Google and try to get behind this what's going on.

As for reasons why exactly either a penalty or an algorithmic re-evaluation (and thus Google rank) MIGHT affect your site, there are a zillion of reasons....could be ad-placement/ratio, new site layout (not that often but possible) or 1000s other reasons, including "manual" penalty after manual review of your site and some Google dude deemed your site not worthy etc..etc..

Edit: Your webmaster must analyze Google analytics stats to see WHEN the drop occurred (assuming the drop is from Google traffic)...if it's a sharp drop it's a red flag that it's not a "normal" re-position due to normal happenings on the web. (Site's positions don't usually drop from one day to the other).

Edit2: April 1st, looks like it. It's a known date where Google OFTEN rolls out changes. I had several of my sites "slapped", also on April 1st two years ago, lost a lot of my income basically from one day to the other.
edit on 13-4-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lnfideI

Interest in ATS has fallen by 70-80%, as such it has effected page views.
ATS tried something new and it turned off users, as such it has affected page views.
ATS has failed to evolve as a site and it has affected page views.
Weak content has turned away users and affected page views.

This is all POSSIBLE but not likely. In such cases I would expect a gradual decrease and not such a sharp drop as in the Quantcast stats. To me this looks like a Google penalty/algo change which led to the drop, not so much that ATS users "lost interest". In case of doubt, ALWAYS blame Google. Believe me, I know
ATS webmaster needs to check analytics/webmaster tools to see what's really going on and then find out why rankings dropped.
edit on 13-4-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Whats happening to the site?
Nothing has happened to the site,on contrary it has evolved.

And evolution requires some things which you don't know about,but I do.

Oh,and I wish to see 10 million members registered to the site with 1 million members active every day.

And what I wish is always (be)coming true.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lnfideI

He was trying to give us a first hand demo as to why readership is tanking.

But clearly, it's not tanking

????

Do you not read responses to your posts?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
have lost interest in this site because there is hardly any discussion left.
It's as simple as that.

The real numbers don't support that.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The T & C's are great here and really do separate the riff raff from nearly all other sites similar to this one. What I do see happening is an over flow of child like productions due to their banning rituals. I'm stunned at times at some of the comments left unattended.

Please keep this place clean, tidy and free of verbal violence. I'm certainly no angel or a person of great depth and intelligence, but I really enjoy those that are of great mind that post here.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

I have been coming to this site trying to find answers for years, and I understand what you mean. Maybe people are simply not interested anymore in the UFO propaganda, or the secret society thing. Maybe this is it, until the next generation of babies grow up to start questioning the same things we have been for the past 30+ years. Hopefully the conspiracies will evolve and bring about TRUTH for the new age.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Its always boils down to this.

Be the change you wish to see.

I expect all the naysayers here to be posting long and interesting OP's in the near future.

Lets have at it

You are 100% correct.

DB Coopers Jump added today.

My shameless bump, to add quality not quantity.

D.B. Cooper Mystery

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Oh really? Your sites had no change in overall traffic? Excellent.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Maybe it's replies like this from ownership.

Seriously, you and your pals seem to take liberty in mocking members. Remember, it's the membership that lines your pockets.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
You know.

I started this thread in the hopes of getting some feedback from users that use the site to post and read and take part in. I never claimed to know about statistics, graphs, swings, tags, or what was in the Overlords head.

In order to fix anything that may be broken or is about to become broken, a person or people first need to understand the nature of the problem, if one exists. That is how we sharpen up and make things better, if we at all can.

My initial thread title was :
Whats happening to the site?

Then you Skeptic Overlord changed it to :
Whats happening to the site? (Nothing at all)

Added a mod note to the OP, moved it to off topic and have been very defensive about what I and others have said.

Initially after your first post, of which you have said I never read
I agreed with you, that the site stats are healthy and that you have made some tag changes and it is showing up as a decline in page views.

Ok, no worries, excellent, good news.

Just like you, I wish the best for the site, I initially thought it was a joke, but after spending some time around reading and making the odd post, I have grown to like it somewhat.

But with all the extra curricular maneuvering, and pestering here, you now have me wondering if there is not some sort of problem.

I see things.

And you all know it.

I did not want to leave this hanging out there.

Best regards.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I don't think the OP or the other contributors to this thread meant or said anything to set you off. After all, the OP grabbed a traffic chart from your own site and simply raised questions about it.

1) Edit a member's thread title?
2) Edit a member's OP?
3) Defensive (almost combative) posts?
4) Sarcastic replies to a member simply trying to participate in the discussion?

5) Apology?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980

I don't think the OP or the other contributors to this thread meant or said anything to set you off. After all, the OP grabbed a traffic chart from your own site and simply raised questions about it.

1) Edit a member's thread title?
2) Edit a member's OP?
3) Defensive (almost combative) posts?
4) Sarcastic replies to a member simply trying to participate in the discussion?

5) Apology?

He's just doing what most serial skeptics do.

When they cant prove you wrong they move the goal posts then resort to denial and snarkyness and/or name-calling.

Maybe thats why this site is losing traffic.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Originally posted by ObservingYou
From what I can understand, posting LONG, INFORMATIVE AND TRUTHFUL threads, are a sure way to see you on the infamous banned list.

We know ATS love's it's drama first and foremost.

Absurd notion and completely untrue.

What gets people banned from ATS is when they start such threads, then think they are some kind of global superstar/spiritual guru/only portent of the truth/best thing since sliced bread and decide they are above the T&C of the site and then go off the deep end when things don't quite work out that way, make all kinds of pointless threats about how great they are, how they'll be missed, maybe they should go elsewhere, you'll never get by without me etc etc etc and basically stupid themselves into a ban when they turn abusive towards the staff (we've had all kinds of crap ramped up on occasion to threats of legal action, cyber stalking and even actual death threats) - even after there has been a cooling off period (because everyone has off days), time to think and numerous attempts by staff members at getting them calmed down and back on track.

Oddly, those people also tend to come back, with different screen names, make hate sites/posts on other forums and make allegations against ATS staff - or, more usually, all three.

And that's the nature of the internet.

Anyone can avoid getting banned from ATS by simply sticking to the T&C and - frankly - anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

People simply need to be responsible for their own actions and posts and understand that ATS is a discussion forum on the internet, and not life and death.

edit on 14/4/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It's all the looney stuff that drew me here for a laugh.

But more so I'm seeing a drop off in human intelligence and I think that's whats turning people off. Too many believing in chemtrails and other rubbish. Years ago most off these people used to be locked up in institutions. Nowadays they have access to computers and don't need to go out in the real world.

The second reason is ATS claim to be an alternative to the media and the main media is attacked here often. Yet when you label ATS for what it is, they turn you off. ie the mods do the same to you on ATS as those on ATS claim the government is doing to them.

Conclusion. Nothing changes anywhere. It's not about government or conspiracies, it's about humans where ever they are being the same as everywhere else.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My problem is recent. My daily email from ATS just stopped. It didn't take long before I missed it. I went into ATS to find the problem. ATS daily email is now being sent in a different more secure way. Pushing the link to get my email problem fixed, I get, well, nothing. The window saying something like, you were sent here but...
So, patiently I waited. A few days later I went into get my email from ATS started again. The answer is the same. I miss my email from ATS.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
This problem may have something to do with the thread's topic.
I'm a light weight, I' am sure I was not given the boot.
Help!
edit on 14-4-2013 by REMflyer because: Too early

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I too have found that breaks are good. Every few weeks I will come back to see what I have missed. Last year was a wild ATS ride!! Everyone may be suffering from adrenaline fatigue....So much stress and prep, then ahhhh release. Our world really didn't end!! People may just be relaxing for while. Everyone needs a vacation sometimes.

Yes, there have been many threads closed. I care not to speculate. Yes, many people have *left*, yes the tides turn, and seasons change. I for one have learned a lot of things here on ATS. I usually lurk, because I am not much of a debater. But when I can contribute, I at least try. I shy away from emotionally charged posts, knowing they will end badly....

Just my 1 penny

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

This post is proof you don't understand one thing about the mentally ill who may be attracted to this site. They don't operate under the same set of rules that most people do. Delusions don't respect terms and conditions. The only thing psychosis recognizes is that its voracious appetite for information of any kind must be fed.

Your ruthless defense of the status quo in this place is disturbing. It has its issues as well. It can be a heavy hand that decides what stays and what goes. Such practices only exacerbate their condition. To the psychotic, censorship is the worst kind of offense. They are bursting with processed information that must be shared. Why do you think schizophrenics share an ongoing dialog with themselves?

Some basic human compassion for your readership wouldn't hurt. What does it cost you to be kind to the people who generate your revenue, or does being a tough guy satisfy too much?

You aren't demigods. You are moderators. Your function isn't to throw lightning bolts and smother opinions and information. It's to tweek posts and encourage discussion by using a light hand to guide your membership. That's why it's called moderation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join