It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Paranormal Activity Filmed By The BBC - Victoria Woods Nice Cup Of Tea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I saw something a little interesting on a BBC show which I thought might be fun to share here and try to debunk.

Background for non UK readers...

Victoria Wood is a British comedienne who rose to fame in the 1980's on stage and screen, and who is considered a national treasure and stalwart of BBC comedy. She's a funny lady my generation grew up with, and the likes of Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders credit her with leading the way for women in comedy.

"Victoria Wood's Nice Cup of Tea" is a two-part documentary following the history of tea and its place in British life. I know it sounds boring, but it really isn't, and Victoria Wood makes it pretty interesting and funny throughout.

The Paranormal Moment...

At the very end of the documentary, Victoria Wood is making a closing piece to camera in a restaurant/greasy spoon/coffee shop. But over her right shoulder (to the viewers left) there is a darkened corridor where something peculiar can be seen moving.

To begin with, I thought there was a man in a white shirt and waistcoat standing there in the shadows, and that I could simply see the arm of his shirt, but then there's movement and it is clear that there is no body, and that the "arm" is translucent.

The "arm" then moves with considerable speed and it's clear that the object is not attached to anyone.

It moves rapidly to the left of screen where the wall ends, and remains there while Victoria ends her piece to the camera. As soon as she moves to stand up it vanishes, as if it is suddenly now aware of her presence.

Logic...

I do believe in spirits, I have had experiences myself that would lead me to believe in the existence of *something*. I don't know if it is the dead, if it is a replaying of history, or some form of recording in the stone of a building. But I do know that there are things that currently defy explanation.

I am always initially sceptical of things. I watch shows on the subject and can usually debunk 80% of the strange things they believe are happening. I think it's much more likely that those footsteps in an old wooden house are the result of temperature changes in wood floors and metal pipes. I believe that ghosts in windows are usually simply light and perception. I generally need more evidence than what they can provide. But it is interesting nonetheless.

I have watched these few seconds repeatedly, over and over, trying to find an explanation for this apparition on video, but I haven't come to any real conclusion.

Initially I considered that it could be a reflection of someone off camera, but this makes no sense to me. There are no glass doors there to provide a surface for a reflection.
I also decided that the movement of the object shows that this could not be a person off camera, it simply moves too erratically. Not only is the movement and speed implausible for a living person in the room, no one would be moving like that during filming.

I considered that it could be a reflection in the lens of the camera, but this would still require something in the room to be moving in such a way, which is not plausible. Anything small which could create that image and would move with that speed would not appear so large in the frame, and it certainly wouldn't appear to remain within the physical space of the corridor.

I considered that it could be light perhaps through a door in the left of the corridor, but several times it seems to be independent of any physical surface, hovering above ground and not cast against any wall.

So there you have it, I am stumped, and I'm looking for a logical explanation. Could this really be a case of a spirit or paranormal event caught on a BBC camera? Or is there a simple explanation for this strange object appearing on the screen?

Your thoughts are most welcome, help me debunk this, and if we can't then we might have something extremely interesting.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

This video is private. If the owner of this video has granted you access, please log in.

I guess its so paranormal I can´t even view it

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

This video is private. If the owner of this video has granted you access, please log in.

I guess its so paranormal I can´t even view it

Sorry, I am a YT virgin and didn't see the private setting. You can now view it lol

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yet another case of not enough information. To properly debunk this, which I'm sure one could, you'd need to know exactly the items behind her, what was happening off camera, etc, etc. Yeah, it looks odd, but imho, without any more corroboration, you have to assume the most likely explanation - reflection.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic
Yet another case of not enough information. To properly debunk this, which I'm sure one could, you'd need to know exactly the items behind her, what was happening off camera, etc, etc. Yeah, it looks odd, but imho, without any more corroboration, you have to assume the most likely explanation - reflection.

I would be inclined to say the same, but my logical brain tells me that no one would be moving like that behind the camera while she is speaking.

There is a light source in front of her, because you can see a slight change in the shadow of on the wooden surface behind her when she moves, and I believe this would make the reflection aspect less likely - surely if there were glass there we would see more of a reflection of that lighting from behind the camera?

I agree that it would be great to have more information about where this was filmed and the layout of the room, and what was happening etc, but there is still some analysis that we can do without all these facts.

It's just an interesting anomaly in my opinion

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

I am stumped, and I'm looking for a logical explanation.

I've watched it a few times but I can't give you an explanation , I can however give you
for an interesting thread .

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Until more information comes in. It is my opinion someone is moving off camera behind her. But it is no reflection and possibly not a ghost.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Rocker2013

I am stumped, and I'm looking for a logical explanation.

I've watched it a few times but I can't give you an explanation , I can however give you
for an interesting thread .

Thanks

I was a little surprised when I saw this last night. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and I was sure it would be on YouTube within hours. But I don't think anyone else has seen it or mentioned it out there.

For those who can watch the BBC iPlayer, you can see it there too, showing that this clip has not been altered in any way...

BBC iPlayer

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PGTWEED
Until more information comes in. It is my opinion someone is moving off camera behind her. But it is no reflection and possibly not a ghost.

The thing is, if you go full screen you can see that there is no one there. The shape moves on its own, it's not attached to anyone. At a couple of moments it actually seems to take the shape of a Human arm and then rushes towards the left of the corridor - but there is no body, and no legs.

I had thought that maybe there is a glass window there, and perhaps there's a man in a white shirt behind the camera, and we can see his image reflected in the glass behind Victoria. But this also doesn't make sense, because of the movement of the shape, the speed of it, the idea of someone moving like that while a presenter is doing a piece to camera... that all tells me the reflection explanation is not plausible either.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I was watching full screen and I saw someone wearing a dark vest with a white shirt under it moving out of camera range trying to avoid getting in the picture. It is probably not a ghost.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I was watching full screen and I saw someone wearing a dark vest with a white shirt under it moving out of camera range trying to avoid getting in the picture. It is probably not a ghost.

I can kind of see what you mean, but I would suggest looking at the original version on the BBC if you can too, there is no other shape there.
When I saw it the first time I also thought that there was a man standing there in something like a waiters uniform, with a black waistcoat. But then when it moved I saw that it was a solitary shape not attached to anything.

Also, if the shirt is light enough to be seen there would be other details there too, such as the guys face, an ear, a hand... but all there is to see is the shape of an arm which also moves in such an unusual way I can't imagine there's a man there standing on a chair, getting down, almost crouching, then backing up, then doing a comedy "run" out of shot almost like a cartoon character lol

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
post removed by user...
edit on 13-4-2013 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The BBC player doesn't work in the USA. Except for the BBC Radio. Does the BBC player show the scene from another angle? But as for it being a ghost. I'm more convinced it is a person moving off camera behind her. But, if there is additional footage. I would like to see it. I must have a better monitor because I can see a hand and a face in the footage. Plus I can see the persons shoulder after Victoria Woods leaves.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
At :21 you see the "anomaly" appear to pass in front of the objects in the background. It becomes opaque as it does so... to me that means a reflection in the cameral lens of some light source just out of view.

This is something that was most logical to me, but at the same time, while we can't possibly know what else might have been happening in the room, I just don't see that kind of movement going on in a silent room while a presenter is doing a solo piece to camera.

That's certainly a more logical explanation to me though.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Look at the chairs flipped up on the tables. The lady is at an establishment probably either before opening or just at closing and an employee is in the background either setting a table in the other room or cleaning it up.

You can only see the white arm of their shirt as they move around doing so.

This dress type is most likely something similar to what you are seeing.
edit on 13-4-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The only thing I find weird is that you describe Vctoria Wood as a 'national treasure' and 'funny'! She's neither of these things. In fact, I would go as far as to say that she has to be one the least funny people on television. The only people that seem to like her are; other women, or hen pecked men.

Just to be clear for our non UK resident contributors, I apologise that you have been led to believe that Victoria Wood is funny and can assure you that this is not a reflection of British comedy/humour.

As for the movement in the background, it was probably a stage hand or set holder getting ready for the end of the show. Or it may of been one of Victoria Wood's crew waking up after sleeping through the show.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The BBC player doesn't work in the USA. Except for the BBC Radio. Does the BBC player show the scene from another angle? But as for it being a ghost. I'm more convinced it is a person moving off camera behind her. But, if there is additional footage. I would like to see it. I must have a better monitor because I can see a hand and a face in the footage. Plus I can see the persons shoulder after Victoria Woods leaves.

There are no different angles, but the BBC player shows it more clearly than YouTube can in my opinion.

I've watched it a few times from different sources (it is out there on some share sites too, although I'm not condoning that in the slightest) and the visibility of the area in the background changes slightly from version to version. Some are more clear than others.

I'm not seeing any face, head, body, legs or hand in there at all. All I'm seeing is a dark corridor and that white shape moving down, then up, then to the right, then speeding off to the left and remaining partially visible as she gets up to leave before it vanishes.

It seems, to me at least, that there is a sign board standing to the left. The shape originally appears moving down from the ceiling as we cut to Victoria, then moves back up a little, then becomes stable and appears to look like an arm. Then it moves to the right and quickly moves to the left where it almost vanishes. But the shape moves IN FRONT of the sign to get to that position.

If there is a person there, and they move in front of that sign, where are the legs carrying them?

That's why I don't think there is a person there. If I were to go on a logical explanation I would say that the likelihood is that there is something causing a light reflection on the camera lens itself. But then logic tells me that's unlikely in a quiet speech to camera.

I don't know, I'm still undecided by it lol

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
To the left of the dark area in the back is a hallway that passes by this room. That hallway is lit with fluorescents. A two-way swinging door with a small window leads into the hidden part of the kitchen, and another similar door leads into this cafe area. Anytime the door from the hallway to the kitchen is opened, light through its window shines through the second window and appears to travel across the darkened area. The two-way swing of the door accounts for the direction of travel of the light. The camera crew should have covered that window.

A lot of assumptions here... But it's consistent with typical cafeteria morphology.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's a man stepping back n forth mopping the floor, you can only see the white arm cos its dark.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

BINGO! I'm seeing the same as you are. It is a waiter working in a dark background. No ghost or paranormal activity taking place.
edit on 13-4-2013 by PGTWEED because: mispelled words.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join