It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garlic Proven 100 Times More Effective Than Antibiotics, Working In Fraction Of The Time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Researchers at Washington State University have found that a compound in garlic is 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics at fighting the Campylobacter bacterium, one of the most common causes of intestinal illness.

I'm all for natural remedies and cures and have personally used Garlic for many ailments, such as the flu or even just between seasons changing and the immune system feels a bit weak.

This Article by Science Daily basically discusses their discovery and how it opens the door to new treatments for raw and processed meats and food preparation surfaces.

"Campylobacter is simply the most common bacterial cause of food-borne illness in the United States and probably the world," Konkel said. Some 2.4 million Americans are affected every year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with symptoms including diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever.

Also to note, this bacteria is also responsible for triggering nearly one-third of the cases of a rare paralyzing disorder known as Guillain-Barré syndrome ( an acute polyneuropathy, a disorder affecting the peripheral nervous system. Ascending paralysis, weakness beginning in the feet and hands and migrating towards the trunk, is the most typical symptom, and some subtypes cause change in sensation or pain as well as dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system. It can cause life-threatening complications.)

These infections stem from eating raw or under-cooked poultry or foods that have been cross-contaminated via surfaces or utensils used to prepare poultry

Lu and his colleagues looked at the ability of the garlic-derived compound, diallyl sulfide, to kill the bacterium when it is protected by a slimy biofilm that makes it 1,000 times more resistant to antibiotics than the free floating bacterial cell. They found the compound can easily penetrate the protective biofilm and kill bacterial cells by combining with a sulfur-containing enzyme, subsequently changing the enzyme's function and effectively shutting down cell metabolism.

The researchers found the diallyl sulfide was as effective as 100 times as much of the antibiotics erythromycin and ciprofloxacin and often would work in a fraction of the time.

Hopefully my ATS comrades enjoy!

edit on 12-4-2013 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I pickle garlic and leeks and can eat them like candy.
I haven't had a cold in years...go figure??

When a flu bug goes around and everyone is sick and worried about catching it...I get to laugh.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Seems legit.

I had a nonstop toothache for like a whole week about 6 months ago. Chewed on some raw garlic for 15 minutes twice in one day; letting the juices run all over the area that hurt. It burned a little bit, but no more tooth ache the next day, or ever since.

Garlic rocks!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Took raw garlic to help lower elevated blood pressure, seemed to work well.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
From a man that tried it..ME

it does work (in my case)
Chewing garlic for tooth ache, works.

Eating strong mustard is great for a blocked nose, but a raw chilly is the best.
You ever wonder why asians have the lowest rate of cancer?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Garlic is used in many dishes of countries like India and Indonesia. It has been passed on from their ancestors. Maybe the ancestors knew about the power of garlic even before science could prove it.
edit on 12-4-2013 by MyLifeRocks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So... I take it then that not a single one of you actually bothered to read the article and find that it was NOT discussing garlic, but diallyl sulfide.

While eating garlic is a generally healthy practice, it is unlikely to prevent Campylobacter-related food poisoning.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MyLifeRocks

I absolutely agree! My family is from Russia and from a very poor time so luckily they've passed many remedies down since they weren't able to afford medicine. Garlic is a favorite!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

his colleagues looked at the ability of the garlic-derived compound, diallyl sulfide, to kill the bacterium

That was already mentioned. Perhaps I should have specified, but the Article specifically states "Researchers at Washington State University have found that a compound in garlic is 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics at fighting the Campylobacter bacterium, one of the most common causes of intestinal illness"

But while we're discussing this, why not discuss the other incredible benefits of Garlic?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
My wife and I make and sell Black Garlic in our bakery. Amazing stuff. Takes us about 3 Months to do it but oh so worth the effort:

blackgarlic.com...

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Not had a cold in three years, whilst all my colleagues have suffered!!

Garlic is a true antiseptic. The only way the fumes can escape the body is through the breath and when it does, any germs entering the body are killed by natural chemicals contained within the miraculous bulb. Amazing stuff!!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Regardless of the article...are you saying garlic has no good benefits??
I didn't have to read it to know its good for you.

If you want to educate me then please do.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Just make sure you don't buy garlic that is grown in China.

I read a study recently that determined that men who ate three raw cloves of garlic a day have a 50% less chance of developing prostate cancer, the most common cancer in men.

I eat a lot of raw garlic now, usually shred it and mix it into hummus which I use to dip raw veggies in. Yummy!!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well darn i've used garlic as one of my meat/poultry/fish spice condiments for a long time now. Lol. Go grandma for teaching me how to cook properly o3o

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
My wife and I make and sell Black Garlic in our bakery. Amazing stuff. Takes us about 3 Months to do it but oh so worth the effort:

blackgarlic.com...

Peace

Well crap all this time i've been throwing away the black garlics in the fridge, i just thought they went bad xDDD

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

So... I take it then that not a single one of you actually bothered to read the article and find that it was NOT discussing garlic, but diallyl sulfide.

While eating garlic is a generally healthy practice, it is unlikely to prevent Campylobacter-related food poisoning.

You're such a doom crier..lol..

Lu and his colleagues looked at the ability of the garlic-derived compound, diallyl sulfide, to kill the bacterium when it is protected by a slimy biofilm that makes it 1,000 times more resistant to antibiotics than the free floating bacterial cell.

edit on 14-4-2013 by baddmove because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Some of the old stories of garlic's healing properties have doubtful validity, but many of its claimed health benefits have been backed up by modern scientific research. There are two main medicinal ingredients which produce the garlic health benefits: allicin and diallyl sulphides.

Garlic is a sulphurous compound and in general a stronger tasting clove has more sulphur content and hence more potential medicinal value. Some people have suggested that organically grown garlic tends towards a higher sulphur level and hence greater benefit to health. Whether or not that is in fact the case, in my experience it certainly has the best taste.

Benefits
Various garlic health benefits have long been claimed and the "stinking rose" treatment has been used extensively in herbal medicine (phytotherapy) down the centuries. It's been considered by many to be a herbal "wonder drug", with a reputation in folklore for preventing or treating everything from the common cold and flu to the Plague!

Much of that is at best unproven, however there are some very positive garlic health facts that are now widely accepted. Amongst the most interesting potential applications are suggestions that garlic might be able to assist some people in the management of blood pressure cholesterol levels.

Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic, albeit broad-spectrum rather than targeted. The bacteria in the body do not appear to evolve resistance to the garlic as they do to many modern pharmaceutical antibiotics. This means that its positive health benefits can continue over time rather than helping to breed antibiotic resistant "superbugs".

Studies have also shown that garlic - especially aged garlic - can have a powerful antioxidant effect. Antioxidants can help to protect the body against damaging free radicals. There are claims that fermented black garlic contains even higher antioxidant levels than normal cloves.

Some people who want the claimed health benefits without the taste prefer to take garlic supplements. These pills and capsules have the advantage of avoiding garlic breath.

Dosage
So how much garlic should you eat or otherwise consume to maximise the health benefits? That's difficult to say - much of the research is still patchy and different people have different needs and tolerances. However a World Health Organization (WHO) monograph says:

"Unless otherwise prescribed, average daily dose is as follows (7): fresh garlic, 2-5g; dried powder, 0.4-1.2 g; oil, 2-5mg; extract, 300-1000mg (as solid material). Other preparations should correspond to 4-12mg of alliin or about 2-5mg of allicin). Bulbus Allii Sativi should be taken with food to prevent gastrointestinal upset."

This information is referenced from "Bradley PR, ed. British herbal compendium, Vol. 1. Bournemouth, British Herbal Medicine Association, 1992."

Side-Effects
Even garlic isn't a perfect. Apart from garlic breath there are other possible side effects, especially if used to excess. Use common sense and don't overdo it.

Raw garlic is very strong, so eating too much could produce problems, for example irritation of or even damage to the digestive tract.

There are a few people who are allergic to garlic. Symptoms of garlic allergy include skin rash, temperature and headaches. Also, garlic could potentially disrupt anti-coagulants, so it's best avoided before surgery. As with any medicine, always check with your doctor first and tell your doctor if you are using it.

Important: Research published in 2001 concluded that garlic supplements "can cause a potentially harmful side effect when combined with a type of medication used to treat HIV/AIDS". More details are available on the NIAID website.

Garlic makes a wonderful health supplement for many people but the so-called "garlic cure" is no substitute for the basics: sensible eating and appropriate exercise. Garlic should be seen as part of a healthy lifestyle - not as an alternative to it. Always consult your doctor first regarding any medical condition.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

blackgarlic.com...

Peace

Dern I was so excited for a recipe. When I go looking for "black garlic recipe" I get a million recipes that use black garlic. Jude - help! I'm a garlic fiend! You can MAKE this stuff? Please tell us how to make it!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Apart from Garlic, Bitter Kola and Ginger are another powerful source of natural antibiotic.

top topics

join