Auto Complete, The Future Tech of Thought Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hey, so i was paying attention to the auto complete feature on my Iphone, yes i have an Iphone, and i noticed something, the auto complete was trying to finish my sentences for me. At that moment i had a glimpse of the future, a future where they start running algorithms on data caches storing all of our information and tracking the pattern of our thoughts.

I see it this way, they are using psychology research as a method to study the way we think and develop classifications for when they have enough data through programs like auto complete, Facebook, and Twitter. What they will be doing is profiling us and entering us into these categories so they can track us, but we all already know this. I think the auto complete feature will play the roll of collecting personal thought patterns and used to predict peoples actions based off of the profile and categories they design and build through the aforementioned programs.

Auto Complete Feature

Autocomplete, or word completion, is a feature provided by many web browsers, e-mail programs, search engine interfaces, source code editors, database query tools, word processors, and command line interpreters. Autocomplete is also available for, or already integrated in, general text editors. Autocomplete involves the program predicting a word or phrase that the user wants to type in without the user actually typing it in completely. This feature is effective when it is easy to predict the word being typed based on those already typed, such as when there are a limited number of possible or commonly used words (as is the case with e-mail programs, web browsers, or command line interpreters), or when editing text written in a highly structured, easy-to-predict language (as in source code editors). It can also be very useful in text editors, when the prediction is based on a list of words in one or more languages. For special purposes, like medical or technical texts a word list of terms in that field is used. Many autocomplete programs are able to learn new words after the user has written them a few times, and can suggest alternatives based on the learned habits of the individual user. Autocomplete, or "word prediction", speeds up human-computer interactions in environments to which it is well suited.

I don't know ATS, are we making it to easy for them?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Or you could just leave Facebook and turn off Auto-Complete...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thing is, you can turn it off. Another thing is that it's just a suggestion -- it would be a problem if it actually forced you to use a certain word/phrase. On things like IDEs it saves a lot of time since i don't have to write the name of a function/variable every time.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SouthExpected

Of course i could just turn it off, but whats the point of this forum if we arent going to discuss ideas?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What info would autocomplete make available that a person isn't providing by having to type?

I don't think there is much to discuss here.
edit on 12-4-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Auto complete is the start of completing our thoughts for us so we dont have to type them out. Have you not used a more advanced version of auto complete? Do you not have sight on where this technology is going?

Why stop at only completing a word when you can build a profile and complete our thoughts for us?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Auto complete is the start of completing our thoughts for us so we dont have to type them out. Have you not used a more advanced version of auto complete? Do you not have sight on where this technology is going?

Sight of an exaggerated claim with nothing to back it up? Yeah I don't have one of those.

Why stop at only completing a word when you can build a profile and complete our thoughts for us?

This would be something other than autocomplete.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Its the evolution of this technology and its a natural progression. You know how i know this? Because technology has been being developed to make life easier on the host. I dont need anything to back this up this is an original idea that i am presenting based on a conclusion derived by my own observation of the advances of technology and the human condition.

It's not something other then auto complete. Auto complete will naturally progress into profile format where it then data mines our previous entries to look for clues on what our future entries will be.

Its called cloud computing, do some research before taking your cynical uneducated strawman approach into someones thread and refuting their ideas.

Sorry you cant see this because its right in front of your face.
edit on 12-4-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Sorry that you see something that isn't even there.

Your original idea lacks logic. You have to have at least that backing up a claim.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

How does it lack logic?

How about a breakdown of the idea and the illogicality of the claim?

Wiki..

A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[3] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[3][4] This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues.

Please take your "argument" somewhere where its valued and appreciated, and it actually means and adds something to the topic at hand. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

How does it lack logic?

Autocomplete doesn't provide information that you were not going to make available, by typing it in, anyway.

Jumping from drop down menus with suggestions to "completeing a persons thoughts" is a huge leap.

Profiling is already being used and does not rely on autocomplete.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Auto complete is just one part of the equation, its an attempt and its natural evolution is to start completing sentences, in fact, i think some of them already do it.. oh wait, google already auto completes entire sentences for us.

Auto complete, Facebook, Twitter are being snuck in right under our noses. Pretty soon they will know our entire lives from the moment we are born.

Profiling is already being used and does not rely on autocomplete.

Your damn right profiling is being used and this technology is apart of a predictive process that they are trying to implement. This idea is not completely original to me.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Auto complete is just one part of the equation, its an attempt and its natural evolution is to start completing sentences, in fact, i think some of them already do it.. oh wait, google already auto completes entire sentences for us.

But this doesn't change what autocomplete is. Suggestions.

Auto complete, Facebook, Twitter are being snuck in right under our noses. Pretty soon they will know our entire lives from the moment we are born.

Do you really not understand that autocomplete has nothing to do with this? If autocomplete didn't exist, there would still be a record of everything you have typed on the net linked to you.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Ive already said it more then once, this is the natural progression of this technology and where its going we can already see it today. Auto complete attempts to predict the words we are choosing based on what were typing.

Look,

Autocomplete involves the program predicting a word or phrase that the user wants to type in without the user actually typing it in completely.

Your not paying attention so im not going to continue this discussion with you.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I would say its just one part of the many programs, especially social media to create an artificial intelligence software. Sort of like Sky-Net but i am going to call it "Bruce Poi". These Bruce Poi bots will use start of the art word construction and sound influence to calm the masses and send everyone on their way as there "is nothing to see here". They will even have flashing LED's on the fingertips as they wave the hand across the face lol

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

How does a computer trying to guess what you are trying to type tell the computer anything about you?

It doesn't. That is why your OP doesn't make sense. I'm trying to get you to think about that simple fact but I guess it's too much to ask.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

How does a computer trying to guess what you are trying to type tell the computer anything about you?

Isnt it obvious in what you just said?

The computer is trying to guess what im saying...

Dont be dense.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheomExperience

I agree with what your saying Theom, there is a bigger picture and its along the lines of what your saying IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If you try to guess what my response to you will be, does that give you information about me? If you sit there and try to guess things about me will that provide you with personal information about me? No it won't.

I'm not being dense. I'm trying to explain that flaw in your OP.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Go back and read all of my responses first things first.

What if this is the initial phase of predictive technology that is going to soon be applied to the profiles their building with our names on it through cloud computing?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join