It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interest Languages for U.S Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hi there, what would be the foreign language that should learn the U.S. military? Well, the Dod Defense Language Institute is a good center in which to learn various languages ​​of the Middle East like Pashto, Persian and many other different languages, anyway, CIA operatives, where they learn languages ​​like Persian, Pastho, etc?

I have read several stories of the battle that took place in Qala i Jangi in Afghanistan and one of the SAD/CIA operatives was a Uzbek speaker.
The Uzbek language is neccesary for agents working in zones of the Middle East?

regards

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rayktheon

They're always looking for someone that speaks Farsi, and just about any of the languages of the Middle East, as well as Mandarin, or the other Chinese dialects (both military and alphabet agencies).

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

If you are in the military they will also provide rosetta stone software to you for free so you can learn different languages on your own.

I would imagine it is also provided to other agencies of the govt.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Having been a recruiter for the US ARMY, I did get to learn something, those that choose to be a linguist took a test to figure out what they were saying, funny thing about the test at the time it was given in Klingon, depending on the score they would make a determination if you were capable to learn a new language. I only helped one individual become a linguist, he learned Russian, he ended up going to California for a year to learn the language, they are always looking for linguist.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

wow, if I had to learn Pashto, Uzbek, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, .... I would never join the military of USA. reaLLY !
I know Persian but still I have no mood for learning Pashto, Uzbek, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, ....
English is far more easy, maybe I learn it someday !
but as a clue, Arabic, Persian and Pashto they have approximately one soul. so If you know one of them, the others can be learnt more easilly.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hi there, I have a little doubt, I'm reading the book Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton and says that the paramilitary officer "Dave Olson" is an expert in Darí language ( Farsi modern), whereas in the wikipedia puts that he is a Uzbek speaker. Which one is true of both, that is expert in uzbek or dari?
edit on 27-4-2013 by rayktheon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join