It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLM - The Bureau of Land Management believe they own public land

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This morning on the local news there was an announcement that the BLM is closing Hyatt Lake near medford OR. They lock up the gate and as anyone who has tried to walk into a closed park knows you will have a ranger kick you out if you try.
They are saying they don't have the money to "run" the lake recreation area even though they make a ton of money off the place. Why can't people go to the lake on their own without the weeds being mowed, leave the gates open it is not the BLM's lake!
They just put in a brand new boat launch area with stimulus money, a private restaurant is on the land and she will have to close. I am pretty sure people can handle their own recreation without "management" by anyone, just leave some porta potties if you close the restrooms!

The BLM ramps and adjacent parking lots were rebuilt last summer at a cost of $426,000, split between state and federal funds.

I feel like we are being constantly threatened like little children that "no more recreation or parks or camping" because they wasted the clearly profitable $$ somewhere and I am tired of being told I cannot ride my bike on our own land that has a trail built with public money!

www.blm.gov...

edit on 12-4-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
you should rally a big number of people to just go there and do whateve ryou want they cant make all of you leave.. everyone needs to just stand together and when they tell you to leave dont do it.

link   
Its BLM job to maintain public land, it in the title Land Management.

If anything its a safety concern especially with a lake involved, if something where to happen there because of Under management Im sure just as many people would lose.

Sadly things like infrastructure and public parks are not that high in budgetary concerns, tending to get the shaft when its time to cut budgets.

I suggest you write your representatives explaining your concerns, you'd be surprised what that could accomplish a hand written letter can do.

Personally I keep a stack of letters addressed to my reps with my business letter head, and have managed to effect some minor change on the local level with such tactics.

link   
Do as I say or your arse is in gitmo mentality.
edit on 12-4-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Last year they threatened to close all the campgrounds here at the coast, tourist are the mainstay of everything. it was just a threat as they reopened but clearly the money to run the campgrounds was abused as they make a good profit they are always full.

We go to lakes where you can just GO without a gate! Wouldn't it be nice if public land was really public? The BLM is selling part of the land around the lake, just the way pres bush sold millions of acres in the mountains around redding Ca. I don't think management is what they are doing, they act as though it it their land!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Its BLM job to maintain public land, it in the title Land Management.

If anything its a safety concern especially with a lake involved, if something where to happen there because of Under management Im sure just as many people would lose.

Sadly things like infrastructure and public parks are not that high in budgetary concerns, tending to get the shaft when its time to cut budgets.

I suggest you write your representatives explaining your concerns, you'd be surprised what that could accomplish a hand written letter can do.

Personally I keep a stack of letters addressed to my reps with my business letter head, and have managed to effect some minor change on the local level with such tactics.

They could withdraw "management" and say swim and boat at your own risk as many other lakes do.
You are right about the letters at least you usually get a response. They have somehow depleated all the money in all the system though even when things make a good profit.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I wonder if you could start a movement to get the lake transferred over to local municipality for management, say the county or city it resides in.

As tourism is a big draw perhaps start a letter writing campaign, get the local business involved and go to the local reps on the county and city level.

top topics

join