It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Projects?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Anyone know if the UK have any Aircraft projects? or have we just joined up with the USA in R&D now?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

The UK tends to rely on international co-operation when building new combat aircraft,for example the Tri-national Tornado,the Eurofighter and the Anglo-French SEPECAT Jaguar.The UK does (in the shape of Bae) ,seem to be the leading light in the fields of aerodynamics and propulsion technology.Unfortunately,it does look as though a solely British built combat aircraft would be unlikely given the development costs involved.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Apart from the F-35 and predator drones is there anything else comeing on the horrizon?
edit on 12-4-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Apart from the F-35 and predator drones is there anything else comeing on the horrizon?

That is 'top secret' if we told you we would have to kill you.

Do you still want to know?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

Originally posted by crazyewok

That is 'top secret' if we told you we would have to kill you.

Do you still want to know?

Yeah cause instaed of kill me you can give me a job

Not sure what you can do with a Microbiologist but hey looking for a career change

Though I guess I can keep a secret as know lots of yummy stuff I cant say due to working in some big Pharmas haha

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Depends what you mean.

Bae has the TARANIS and DEMON UAS projects. They are both pretty cutting edge, in different ways.

We don't have any purely indigenous manned programmes and due to the cost will likely never have again.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well I gues it doesnt matter if its fully UK or not as long as the UK has a slice of the Hi tec cake.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

BAE is working on the Taranis, Herti, Mantis, and Demon and is partnered on several others. They're also working on FLAVIIR, which is developing technologies to make UAVs more capable than they are now. FLAVIIR is developing technologies in 7 areas:

The technical research has been split into 7 themed areas; Aerodynamics, Control systems, Electromagnetics, Manufacturing, Materials/Structures, Numerical simulation and Integration.

www.flaviir.com...

There's also Aladdin, which is looking at ways to allow UAVs to make autonomous decisions.

The firm’s £5.5 million Autonomous Learning Agents for Decentralised Data and Information Networks (Aladdin) system aims to enhance situational awareness and decision-making in autonomous systems, such as robots and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). It allows autonomous systems to collect and share knowledge, helping UAVs and robots to interact and go on to make choices and independent decisions.

www.aladdinproject.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Do we still test UAV's up on the western isles?

or has it all been moved to the Australian desert

I remember a thread a couple of years ago where people were seeing mysterious things in the air up there

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for the Info it nice to see the UK still at the top of the tec tree.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Doesn't BAE also work with the US working on the rail gun technology I could of sworn I see a vid of the rail gun and BAEs name plastered all over it

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
Doesn't BAE also work with the US working on the rail gun technology I could of sworn I see a vid of the rail gun and BAEs name plastered all over it

I Know BAE has done allot of joint work with the USA on laser tec as I freind who's a particle physicist worked in it. He didnt tell me what it was as he was not allowed.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hmm yeah to be honest I really wasn't sure I was waiting for an ATS expert to correct me haha thanks for the reply though. Sorry guys if my reply was off topic and not aircraft related

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

BAE does a LOT of military work in the US under BAE Systems. They've worked on the rail gun, a number of missile programs, and upgrading various other programs.

www.baesystems.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Damn, Zaph beat me to it.... What he said

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

BAe is heavily involved in the US (where do you think we got the tech for Taranis from
), from doing radar systems in the F-22, to doing sonar on the Ticonderoga class Cruisers and many things in between.

It's always worth remembering this when trying to wind up the Yanks when they crow how much more advanced they are...

EDIT: BAe also own about a third of MBDA, the European missile manufacturer and they have some awesome weaponry coming down the pipeline as well...
edit on 13/4/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
There is also Telemos, which is effectively the next stage of Mantis..

There are also a few co-operations going on, like the A-400M plus there is currently a concept being developed for the next gen of UCAV's which can be launched/recovered from land/air/sea called the "Novel Air Concept" - interestingly it's focus is on Naval deployment, so in future I think we can see the next gen of Frigates (due to be built around 2020 - The Type 26) being outfitted with their own UCAV capability.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
We sure have a lot of joker cards to pull on the yanks :p thanks for the info guys. Hmm this should just make my second line

top topics

join