Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Has Ritalin Ruined My Life?

page: 4
16
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think it's an awful problem with the schools wanting children to be more sedate than children can be. They want classrooms full of "girl" students - able to sit and pay attention and not squirm. My sister has been a 1st grade teacher for over 10 years and has seen it all. In her opinion, ritalin is over-prescribed. She says, that in all her years, she's seen "a handful" of students who would (in her opinion) benefit from medication. The rest needed a strict teacher, recess, time to get the wiggles out, parents on board with the teacher and assignments that interested them.

My daughter often got bored in school and would fidget terribly. She's in 7th grade now and bored, bored, bored by all the "teach to the standardized test" they have to do now. We rectified this by meeting with the school and asking for some modifications. She took 7th grade math over the summer and scored well enough to start 9th grade algebra. When language arts became unbearable, we spoke to the school and had her put on independent study. Now she spends 2 classes in the library, gets assignments from 7th and 8th grade, gets to work at her own pace (which is super fast) and is incredibly happy. She'll start with 9th grade english next year.

Son has autism. It was with a lot (I mean a LOT) of study and trepidation, we had him put on Luvox (an SSRI) for self harming autistic symptoms when he was 4. It was night and day. He's been weaned from the medication 3x in the last 9 years, and each time it was obvious that he needs this medication - he'd end the trial period black and blue from head to toe. He's able to mainstream at school, and as soon as he hit middle school, he joined the wrestling and track teams. The after school practices are wonderful for him. When he did get distracting in class (popping out of his chair, pacing, yelling out) the school helped us develop a plan not requiring meds. He's given a break after lunch where he can choose to go to the gym and run, jump, somersault - just do whatever he needs to do to get back on track.




posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg
 


Congratulations - you sound like an inspirational parent. It appears you have a school Principal who is switched on as well. So good to read your post - so good! Thank you for sharing.

Much Peace...



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon
 


Right at the moment for me its a quest of what are the correct foods,nutrition and combination of vitamins I take that control the symptoms.

Ive been doing well with that. Just remember I have gone through a life time of this. I have never wanted to be like any one elts but me. Its just the symptoms that are holding me back that I want to change.



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OperationLovestrike
 


Please tell me what you are doing to alleviate the symptoms. I could give you some advice on that. I have learned to control the most annoying symptoms, like the deep debilitating depressions. What helps tremendously is nutrition vitamins and exercise.There is a lot of usefull information in those videos.

Take care and hope to hear back from you.Oh and if you don't mind me asking how old are you now and for how long have you taken it?
edit on 14-4-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg
 


Gee wizz I wish more schools were like that. All they ever did to me was try to force me to be like everyone else but it never ever worked out like that. Lets put it this way by the time I left elementary school my principals file was about as thick as a sears catalog. I really could have benefited by a more compassionate school system.



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by enament
 
I didn't like it at all it made me feel completely out of sorts and sure as heck
wasn't going to give it to my child.
We decided to forego medications and used behavioral modification to keep him on
top of his schoolwork.



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by Mountainmeg
 


Congratulations - you sound like an inspirational parent. It appears you have a school Principal who is switched on as well. So good to read your post - so good! Thank you for sharing.

Much Peace...


We moved from CA to PA because CA schools were circling the toilet. As soon as we met the special ed director at our current school district, we were determined to do whatever we had to in order to have our kids attend that district. It's small, graduating class is about 100. I love the school so much that I tease them - if they ever see a parent on the main street with pom-poms cheering about their school - that'll be me.



posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
As you can see, you are not alone. I, too, believe that aspects of my life and physical being were changed forever as a result of the 2 years I spent on Ritalin. I must say that I don't review the result quite as negatively as you do. I don't dwell on what I might have been. I am the best I can be. I've always viewed my ADD as a gift. The change I would truly like to see is for the education system to stop trying to stuff children into a box. If we happen not to fit in the box, we are labeled, medicated, and crammed in the box anyway. When really, I believe that ADD is the next evolution of the brain. ADD gives us the ability to think quickly...and often about many things at once. It gives us the ability to hyper focus when we are engaged. It's time to feed these gifts instead of obscuring them with labels and pills because you can't handle or understand them.



posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22
 


Good. You know its just really too bad our school systems all tell our children they are individuals and that we are all unique but then try to teach everyone the same way, its like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole.



posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitchinthematrix
As you can see, you are not alone. I, too, believe that aspects of my life and physical being were changed forever as a result of the 2 years I spent on Ritalin. I must say that I don't review the result quite as negatively as you do. I don't dwell on what I might have been. I am the best I can be. I've always viewed my ADD as a gift. The change I would truly like to see is for the education system to stop trying to stuff children into a box. If we happen not to fit in the box, we are labeled, medicated, and crammed in the box anyway. When really, I believe that ADD is the next evolution of the brain. ADD gives us the ability to think quickly...and often about many things at once. It gives us the ability to hyper focus when we are engaged. It's time to feed these gifts instead of obscuring them with labels and pills because you can't handle or understand them.



If I ever let these problems get to me I would have never made the achievements I have made up until today. And of coarse I'm going to sound negative this is a thread to discuss your problem and mine. I also don't dwell on my problems. You just Can't move forward in life worrying about the things you cannot change.

My only complaint is for some its just a bump in the road and for others like myself it can be Mt Everest.. Achieving things in my life defiantly seems like way more effort for me than it is for most.Oh and this unrelenting depression I have had since grade 2 when I last took Ritalin. I take a lot of vitamins to help with this I defiantly notice when I miss a day of taking them.

At what grade or age were you on the Ritalin the severity of the after effects can range quite a bit depending on the brains development age.



posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by TWILITE22
 


Good. You know its just really too bad our school systems all tell our children they are individuals and that we are all unique but then try to teach everyone the same way, its like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole.
What was the catch phrase? just say no to drugs? so what do they do drug them nothing makes sense anymore
If I had a do-over I would have without a doubt home schooled
my children. Hopefully my future grandchildren will reap the benefits
of being taught at home.
No drugs, vaccines, or indoctrination.





new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join