It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Ritalin Ruined My Life?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hello ATS, I'm going to begin with a little story. When I was in late grade 1 my teachers in school had a hard time engaging my attention and I had boundless amounts of childhood energy. I had a hard time sitting still because of boredom. I had an even harder time paying attention to the things I found boring. I had all the classic symptoms described in the pharmaceutical industries literiture describing the description of A.D.D.

How did the classic symptoms of being a kid become the classic symptoms of A.D.D.?

So as a child I was told I had something wrong with me and that there was a magic pill that would solve all of my so called problems. Paying attention and squirming etc...(Schools are only usefull in teaching about 90% of kids the other 10% find it too boring and require more interesting subject matter to engage their interests.)

So my Teachers Doctor and parents were all telling me this would help my so called problem. As a child you put a lot of trust in those people especially your parents because they are suppose to know what is best for you and so you believe them when they tell you something. The truth is as a child you are easily manipulated against your will to do things you are told are in your best interest.

I as a child didn't like this at all. I didn't think I needed a pill, but I was told I had a problem and figured they must be right so I was placed on Ritalin. This is where I believe all my problems originated.

Ritalin made me feel like a zombie gave me intense headaches and caused me to be socially introverted I didn't play much with the other kids any more. I could have compared it to a lobotomy. To take the very essence of what makes a kid away from a child is a horrible thing. I was also given my daily dose of fluoride tablets at home and a fluoride rinse at school. The fluoride rinse at school was mandatory and you got in trouble for not partaking in it so most of us faked it.

I believe that Ritalin has caused permanent changes to my brain! I have twitches, I bite the inside of my cheeks when stressed out or nervous to the point where it bleeds and becomes ulcerated, and have suffered from a debilitating depression ever since. I don't think its normal for a child in grade 3 wanting to kill himself like I did. I have a hard time with life in general now everything is twice as hard for me. Doing average things for me is now a laborious task. The reward signal for accomplishment seems skewed. I have been on antidepressants twice. The first time was for almost 2 years the second time was for about 6-7 months.

Does early childhood use of Ritalin cause a life long dependance on antidepressants? I've read articles that claim it does. along with twitching and nervous ticks such as cheek biting and chronic depression.

Who do I sue for damages? It seems like a perfect crime to me. Do you sue your parents for being brainwashed by the pharmaceutical industry. Do you sue your doctor? Do you sue the Pharmaceutical industry?
As far as I know its your parents that are liable as guardians but suing my parents is not an option. As a child I wasn't given a choice the choice was made for me.

I always believed that Ritalin has caused permanent changes to me and now that I have seen documentation describing the after effects of Ritalin I am now convinced especially since all of the after effects describe my current problems. Ritalin in a early developing brain does cause permanent changes. But how do you prove it?
What could I have become if I was never given Ritalin?

Please ATS help me what do I do??

Here is some videos I think are relevant. Description found below.

This video is about the drugging of our children. It describes ethical issues about the drug industries pushing drugs on our children.

Description below.

This video "The War on Kids" describes how the school system is severely dysfunctional and makes comparisons between modern prisons and schools, And How children are over medicated with drugs which they can't be certain of long term effects.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well... I do know that in my experience, being on ritalin did make me much more introverted. I have the same feeling about the anti-depressants that my parents put me on when I was in 8th grade - I haven't been the same since.

What I decided was I can't really change the past, so the best thing to do is adapt and use the mind I have at the moment. It is worse for me, because I've been on anti-depressants constantly since then, and developed my personality on them - but once I go off of them, that personality is as developed as it was in 8th grade - but it's also the only personality that is able to get things done, like you, I have trouble getting much done.

There are probably good and bad things caused by the ritalin. I think your OP was written in a clear manner, for example.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

First of all for a real case, you would need proof that Ritalin caused this.....I know, I know.....

But you would have to prove that you didn't do these things before taking the pill, and this caused all of this....

This is the main reason that children get these drugs, there is no way to prove you didn't do this before taking them...

You might be able to find a good lawyer who can get you a settlement out of court with big Pharma.....But you would have to speak to a bunch of lawyers to see who would want to attempt your case.....

I am sorry to give you this news, but there has to be proof for big pharma to pay out big bucks (which they should!) for this causing all of your problems....

I am truely sorry for your issues and I wish parents were more educated (not saying your parents weren't educated) to this type of thing and not listen to doctors at every turn.....The doctor probably went on 10 vacations courtesy of Ritalin for prescribing it to all of his kids.....Disgusting!!!
edit on 4/12/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome at about age 12. By my mid-teens, they wanted to put me on Haldol. I did it for a few months, then got off of it, cold turkey. Just decided one day that I didn't want to put chemicals in my body, and they my Tourette was - for me, at least - bearable.

Really pissed my mother off at that point. She thought I had this magic drug to make me "normal". Now, she sees I was right.

I am so glad that I didn't take that route.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

But if you read closely you will discover my written thoughts are all over the place.

Something I have been experimenting with is some of the ideas suggested in the documentary "Food Matters" > Their suggestion of eating more than 50% raw foods seems to work better than expected.

Apparently they suggest that a handful of cashews can be as good as prosaic but much better for you.

I am mostly self educated. they didn't teach what I wanted so I taught myself.
Food Matters. Description found below.

Food Matters is a documentary describing nutrition, and the things you can do to change your life. And gives good alternitives to pharmaceutical drugs.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

You know my dilemma as well as I do. Drugging our children is truly the perfect crime.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

I am angry there isn't a law stating that unless extreme circumstances are present no child should be drugged until the choice can be made by the individual when they are 16-18 or so.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am sorry you are going through this. My first grader has a teacher who told me her opinion....It was to see a doctor about Ritalin for him. I told her NO and that she needed to give him something to do because he is bored. He is a top student and finishes everything before everyone else then wants to squirm, play and chat. THIS IS NORMAL 7 year old behavior!

Anyway, your post did not say how old you were now? How long did you take these drugs? It can change the wiring in your brain and after you stop, your brain needs to be rerouted. It probably will take some time, but honestly your OP was clear, understandable and did not appear off the charts with ADD.

Hang in there and never give up. Keep your diet as whole foods as possible as you already know. Life is definitely a journey. It is a shame that the system tries to force this onto uneducated parents.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I am 36 now I took Ritalin for approx 2-3 years

I enjoy writing because I can purge my ADD out of it. And when I prof read I can correct the out of topic sentences within a paragraph and change it.

My big question is always, how much better could I have really become??

And awesome for you to refuse to drug your child.
edit on 12-4-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

So basically, you are saying that MONEY will solve your problem and make things better? Suing someone is the answer?

Instead of dwelling on how you can make money on your suffering,why not focus on moving forward, with the hand you were dealt?

There is nothing you can do to change the past, and there is really nothing you can do to satisfy your urge to get money to reward you.

Everyone wants to sue everyone.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Although this is a difficult period in your life, I think that it's time to take control of your own destiny.

Rather then trying to sue someone, why don't you figure out how to lead a life that you want.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
reply to post by enament

So basically, you are saying that MONEY will solve your problem and make things better? Suing someone is the answer?

Instead of dwelling on how you can make money on your suffering,why not focus on moving forward, with the hand you were dealt?

There is nothing you can do to change the past, and there is really nothing you can do to satisfy your urge to get money to reward you.

Remember that I am the one who has paid for the antidepressants remedying depression that may have been caused by Ritalin. I am the one who may have been held back because of these side effects of Ritalin.

You need to do some homework on the subject.

If you were left with a life long problem which you believe set you back in your life substantially wouldn't you want to be compensated for it? Especially since you weren't able to make the choice yourself because of your age.

Its easy for you to comment like you did but for you to live with the struggles I have had in my life would be a real experience for you. Feeling so dysfunctional in your life that you just want to end it all. And suspecting a drug you never chose to take on your own free will may have been the cause.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Although this is a difficult period in your life, I think that it's time to take control of your own destiny.

Rather then trying to sue someone, why don't you figure out how to lead a life that you want.

I have been struggling with that my whole life. I have been changing the things I can. diet, exercise, vitamins etc

So do I have to feel responsible for damages caused by a drug? And the expense of trying to fix it. I can understand if I made an adult derision to take the drug. But the choice was made for me by my parents,doctor and teacher.

I strongly believe the side effects have held me back in life. Yes I have achieved more than most but where could I have been in life?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Lets get a class action lawsuit.

I think Ritalin had a massive negative impact on my life as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
reply to post by enament

If someone caused you to loose an arm early in your life and it caused you difficulties in your life wouldn't you want to be compensated for it. The only difference is that my injuries are internal.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't think that ritalin makes a person an introvert. It is the whole thing of thinking you are substandard that makes a person into an introvert. They make us fear others because we are damaged, that is not the case though. If you look at the kids that they say have ADD, you see that they are having fun and have lots of energy seeing a world full of wonder to explore. Einstein would have been a perfect candidate for Ritalin as would Bill Gates. Society does not want creative people that investigate everything, they want people who do as they are told and look at what they want us to look at. I see a major problem with people allowing this conditioning to their young myself. Very few kids have real ADD or ADHD, they are just being kids in an interesting world.

The people running this society don't want others to enjoy life since they are not allowed to because of their jobs. Soon we will have a society full of ants that cannot do anything on their own. This country and the western societies are getting all messed up. Why can't a person let down their hair and have a little innocent fun without having to support the economy and pay high prices to have fun. I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood, I enjoy going fishing after my chores are done for the day. I enjoy going to deer camp and letting go of society for a week.

Can't we have fun unless it stimulates the economy any more?

You are not damaged goods. You are not a second hand person just because you are not exactly how society wants you to be. Go out and mingle, it doesn't matter what you look like either, people like to be around people who have energy and confidence. No negative attitudes should be allowed in this world.
edit on 12-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Watch the documentary War Against Kids It was a real eye opener for me..
I know exactly how you feel.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

I think that a lawsuit will just add stress to your life in addition to great costs.

I don't think that you have much chance to win. If you choose to go forward good luck to you.

If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate on leading the best and happiest life that I could.

Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I am not nearly as introverted as I was on Ritalin I try not to let my problems hold me back. I have achieved great things in my life. But what comes easy for most is a great challenge for me now.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
These kinds of stories are always so sad......Do you mind if I ask OP, are you a male under 30 yrs. old ? It seems males in this age group have really had this crap pushed on them.......

I never heard of such a thing when I was a kid....I just turned 50 yrs. old....things got "wacky" when my daughter now 22 yrs. old was in school...and I have written alot about our experiences in the public and private school systems in other threads.

It has been my experience that schools are more and more becoming a place to learn how to sit still, learn how to take tests and follow the "rules" much less hands on activities, no more shop classes that teach practical skills to kids that may not be college bound...less time for physical activities...no more dodgeball or rings.....I've also been told by teachers and educators that schools are not geared as well toward how little boys learn anymore........and again in my life experiences, little boys generally have more "energy" and don't sit still as well as most little girls......

Self control and focus are something we LEARN.....how in the world could a first grade child be told they have A D D and be put on drugs ? The first time I ever heard of Lithium was in a song by Nirvanna and my BF explained what it was......well.......it sure didn't turn out so well for his "sanity"....the side effects of these drugs are dangerous...Clearly.......unfortunately your parents listened to some Bad Advice IMHO...and I hope young parents will wise up......NO......you don't drug kids to teach them impulse control ........

I hope you find a way to "heal" through Nutrition and Exercise...you seem very smart...and I hope you will have no long term effects......

edit on 12-4-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join