It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it like being dead for eternity?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Me being a Muslim, I would say that depending on the life you lived on this earth, your grave will be bliss quick roomy, like resting on a super king sized bed, or on the other hand, very painful and slow. Eternal is only God.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
We are born
We live
and we die

Then what...what is it like being dead for eternity?
edit on 12-4-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

This is one of the big gulfs of difference between those who believe in a human soul/spirit and those who think that as physical life ends, it just goes dark.. Period, end of story.

One thing we do know is that energy never simply dissipates... it just changes form. The electrical energy in your physical brain is a good example. Mainscream science says that at death, it just stops... but we know it can't because, again, energy doesn't just disappear.

Those who believe in another plane of existence after this life hold that our consciousness bound perhaps in that energy, moves on... which explains its disappearance to those who don't.

But to answer you question as honestly as I can... eternal death is eternal nonexistence. I can't even imagine that.... which is another quirky subject because while gods and afterlife appeared so long ago, very few, if any civilizations ever invented the situation you suggest.

As a species, we clearly do NOT fear physical death. If we did, you could never raise an army for war for any reason, lol!

We instinctively know there is more to our existence than this material showroom window. All we have to do is accept that even though we may not all agree on how it works thereafter.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
We are born
We live
and we die

In life we experience feelings and thoughts and are aware of our physical body, animated by our life force and with dreams and hopes. We identity our own uniqueness of existance, and can even trace our family history and make plans for the future.

Then we at some point die

Then what...what is it like being dead for eternity?
edit on 12-4-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

This is an easy one to answer. Both you and me know what it is like to be dead forever. Everybody does.

If time is infinite then it has no beginng or end. Therefore, before you were born you were dead forever. Once you are dead you go back to that. This thought has always made me believe in something special like "God" and beyond only living once. Don't let it give you a headache thinking about it though.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Once again, that last line has to be the most classic line in all of ATS history....

....asking people who are alive what i'ts like after death.. ????

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kgnow
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Life and Death are cyclical functions that allow The One, The All, The Higher Self, The Divine, and God to enjoy relative and subjective experience.

Why do we so fear Death? It only takes us back to the place before Life. The Inhale and Exhale of existence.

Peace

Prove it!

You can't and therefore it is just a fantasy or a theory at best.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Kashai
reply to post by SpearMint

There is currently no evidence to suggest what you have stated is absolute.

Well, there is, the study of the human brain. It's what appears to be true, and currently is the only logical conclusion.

In the 50's and 60's those conclusions were put to the test in dealing with psychiatric patients. Things went so wrong that no public facilitates in the world offers modeling related to the point of view, that what we observe of the brain is all there is to the mind. In so far as public facilities i can tell for sure that in the United States the last such facility was shut down about 5 years ago. This is not to suggest this as evidence of anything except that, with our current technology we really do not understand how the human brain works except at perhaps very basic levels.

edit on 13-4-2013 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What a disparate species we are. What diametric perceptions and beliefs we profess as we give more credence to fantasy and absurdity rather than accept the stark reality of truth and fact. Many even deny the very nature of truth and fact and purposefully look for ways to rationalize fantasy in their place. Such is an expression of neurosis, an irresponsible leaving of reason and logic for the comfort that self-delusion offers...and they claim it an open mind.

We have on this website claims of incredible audacity, so outlandish and ridiculous that even within the blink of an eye their falsehoods are seen for what they are...deliberate lies, deceptions of agendas, and delusions for self-comfort. I, personally will not accept such things, not even on a conspiracy site such as ATS, that began as a place to bring together supported facts regarding government and state corruption, so that those whom pay no heed to government and politics and globalising agenda could redeem their ignorance with the coinage of truth and fact. Sadly, ATS has fallen to become nothing more than a depository of expressions of high ignorance, superstition, and beliefs entrenched in medievalism and stone age worship that have stunted, and continue to stunt, the passage of mankind out of immature adolescence into the maturity it should now be exercising.

The deluded, blind to their delusion, can never be taught to 'see', they must find it somehow within themselves to 'look' and eventually break free from their own chains...that is the true meaning of 'denying ignorance'. Alas, you cannot break the chains of those that cling to them in a belief of their comfort. Only wave upon wave of life's harsh reality can lead them to slewing off such entrapments. For instance, many believe or profess a belief in God, not because they themselves would believe in God, but that they were indoctrinated in infancy to do so, and can no longer see that indoctrination for the mask of self-belief it adopts as they grew older. They continue to perceive it as their own thought and thinking, when it never was.

Even when shaking the shackles of religion, they remain entrenched in similar archetypal hope of a spiritual redemption that might bring a vindication to their delusion's grasping. To profess a belief in an afterlife or even its possibility, is to deny the present and only life, and to accord it one's full responsibility. Live, in this life, this moment, that steps into the next bringing you ever closer to your own physical demise. When you die, there are no more steps to tread, no paths to walk ever onward, and there is nothing more to the matter.

Death, is the end of the organism, and nothing of it survives to continue on, no matter how you entreat your belief, no matter the energy of passion by which you weild it, neither will carry you beyond your death into some supposed new form of existence. From nothing we each came, and to nothing we shall each return, and it is okay, right, and just.

Eternity is far out of reach of grasping finite hopes, many will die expecting its embrace, and many more hoping for it. Yet, at one's last exhalation of breath, none shall receive knowledge of its gaining or its loss, for all that we were will dissipate into the nothingness of utter oblivion and non-existence...and it is okay.
edit on 13/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

In the place after death nothing will matter, you will just be a pure all knowing spirit

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by liam8126

In the place after death nothing will matter, you will just be a pure all knowing spirit

you will just be a pure all knowing spirit

Is that just like, the same as a spec of dust? Then I agree.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

You provided us with a speech that could have been used to acknowledge the existence of a flat earth several centuries ago? Those who do believe in God and an afterlife can be just as neurotic as those who do not.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Kashai:

You provided us with a speech that could have been used to acknowledge the existence of a flat earth several centuries ago?

Was it not the religionists of old that accepted the flat earth, and that the natural philosophers of the day investigated the veracity of it and found it wanting? Fear of suffering the same fate as Hypatia they kept their findings to themselves.

It wasn't a speech, but a soft-focussed diatribe against the absurdity of ridiculuous beliefs. I thank you.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Without evidence based upon deductive reasonong you are correct it was a datribe over nothing you can really prove.

An activity that could be construed as Neurotic.

Thank you for clearing that up.
edit on 13-4-2013 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I tend more and more to the spiritual school of thought our consciousness/soul is independent from our physical body and that we do indeed "survive". Plenty of GOOD books on the topic, up to and including supposed accounts from dead people reporting "from the afterlife" (via channeling) and then of course a ton of NDE accounts.

The common notion:

That if you die you find yourself out of your body with your consciousness and everything else "basically" in-tact. Remember the one account of that person who reported about his own death how "surprised" he was finding himself dead - trying frantically to tell those who catered to his dead body that he is "alright", but of course he couldn't since he was invisible for them.

After a certain time "in the afterlife", a new life is chosen and you will be reborn, EXCEPT for those souls which are so advanced they will not need to re-incarnate anymore.

Of course, there is MUCH, MUCH more to that.

Anyway, for someone not spiritually inclined this all might sound "out there", but IMHO is not less "obscure" or non-plausible than the thought of "being dead forever". Especially since we were also born "out of nothing" all of a sudden. If we were born once, common sense says it's not a single exception. Most people (souls) are re-born 100s if not 1000s of times having lived on Earth (and elsewhere) for 50.000 years and longer. And yes there IS evidence for this, for example do on occasion many children (up to 5 or 6 years of age) remember their former lives. Evidence is also there from 1000s of NDE reports and also via certain hypnosis regression methods which are astonishingly similar.

edit on 13-4-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Since being told by my doc that i am on very limited time, and the
odds of me reaching 50 years old are slim to none, this is a question
i have thought about often. Sadly with no answer.
But i will tell you, i dont care how deep you are in your faith, or belief's
or ideas of what is what, you will question it all when you know your number
is getting closer.

I often find myself thinking of hamlet, "to sleep per chance to dream, for if one
dose dream is one not alive" it is a very valid question even today.

guess i'll find out soon enough the answer to this, although i have to say, it will make
your hair gray thinking about it.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Either some (not all) NDE accounts offer a glimpse into some afterlife or we enter nothingness. I would prefer an afterlife however, but as with being born its not up to me regarding my existence. I'm just an involuntary tourist like everyone else.

Sorry to repeat what everybody else has said, but I don't have the answers either.
edit on 13-4-2013 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
kashai:

Without evidence based upon deductive reasonong you are correct it was a datribe over nothing you can really prove.

Pray tell, what have you proved? I'm sure you have a point to all the attention you've paid me...was it something I said? Your responding with an opinion that proves what in of itself? Please stick to the thread subject. If you want to rebut my statements, please do so, but your actual opinion on me is irrelevant to the thread...don't personalise issues.

An activity that could be construed as Neurotic.

What is it? Why you so frustrated? What the hell do you want? Have you taken offense to some imagined slight I've caused upon you? Have I brought misfortune to your world? Have I shattered your self-delusions?

Thank you for clearing that up.

Is there something cleared up? What?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
Either some (not all) NDE accounts offer a glimpse into some afterlife or we enter nothingness. I would prefer an afterlife however, but as with being born its not up to me regarding my existence. I'm just an involuntary tourist like everyone else.

Sorry to repeat what everybody else has said, but I don't have the answers either.
edit on 13-4-2013 by Frith because: (no reason given)

The soul is eternal your body is shaped around it. The body is limited to time and space and eventually goes the way of all things but the soul returns unto it source where it is judged to what took place upon the earth.

Namely, Did you receive or reject Jesus Christ finished work on the cross as a substitute death for your soul. For God decreed the soul that sinneth shall die. And having done so rose again to guarantee your eternal life in him through faith.

Can I prove it. NO.

But I believe it for God preserved word says so and it is impossible for God to lie.

edit on 13-4-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

What is it like being dead for eternity?

One can speculate but implying that someone is neurotic for not agreeing with you is neurotic.

What are you talking about and have you ever worked with a person who is diagnosed as being neurotic.

They insist that if that anyone who disagrees with them must be neurotic.

Neurotic people believe in absolutes despite the very real fact there are none in relation to what happens after death.

You apparently did not get the memo

edit on 13-4-2013 by Kashai because: modifed content

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Maybe the reality of the soul without the body is a reality too. Maybe when the body is dreaming the.. I don't know exactly. Maybe dreams of the body are the interpretations we are capable of the soul. Like the information is filtered by the body. Since our conscious lies in the body while our soul inhabits it. And when we die, the consciouss of the soul is free again.

To gain soulconsciousness in life. May you have lots of years to come severdsoul.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
kashai:

What is it like being dead for eternity? One can speculate but implying that someone is neurotic for not agreeing with you is neurotic. What are you talking about and have you ever worked with a person who is diagnosed as being neurotic.They insist that if that anyone who disagrees with them must be neurotic. Neurotic people believe in absolutes despite the very real fact there are none in relation to what happens after death. You apparently did not get the memo.

Thought as much. Nothing to say and nothing said. Just more infantile gibberish. Please stay on topic or take it to pm, whether I respond to your nonsense is another matter.

I highlighted the illogical structure of the 'OP's' question, and provided a lucid and coherent logical response to it, as did a number of earlier posters whom saw the question for its ill-thought posit. I did not imply a neurosis for disagreeing with me (I really couldn't care less), but for holding absurd and unprovable beliefs, which is not neurosis but a psychosis (a disconnect to reality) in action.

Now some would say that the lack of evidence for say, the afterlife, does not mean that there is no evidence? Actually, it does mean there's no evidence, none that one can use as support for the belief of an afterlife. Nowhere in the history of man is any evidence supplied that provides beyond reasonable doubt the veracity of post-mortem consciousness. There are plenty of anecdotes, and a lot of hearsay, but no scientific proofs, and the science method is the litmus test of beliefs and theories.

Just show me the evidence you have and I will weigh it up for myself. Not against impossible science methods, but against reasonable doubt. Reason, logic, and factual knowledge diminsh psychoses and stabilise the mind. What more could you ask?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join