It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The many amazing uses of WD-40

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Someone told me to spray your shoe heel and it will keep it from squeaking. My fiance uses it on our front porch door often since it is a chronic squeaker. I had no idea it was good for fly control. I'll have to try it next time I clean the stove.

As I am not yet able to flag, a star for your post. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I have also found that WD-40 being a solvent/penatrent works great as a bug killer.
I discovered this while living in New Orleans, Louisiana,the city is notorious for Pallmeto Bugs,a very large flying cockroach. One evening while asleep i woke to one walking across my face ,i freaked and got up grabbed the ol WD-40 and (it is extremely flammable) commenced to roasting me a few,well i noticed immediately that without igniting the WD-40 as soon as it made contact with the bugs they died instantly.
well it just so happens that insects breath through their exoskeleton through tiny little holes in their exoskeletons.
works really really well with the red tube attachment in killing wasp nests or the such,but for some reason not very effective on arachnids not sure why.anyway that's my contribution hope this helps some one.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

In addition to ant bites, it almost immediately takes the pain away from a bee sting. Instant relief, although one needs to reapply every so often.

Hey, I wonder if it'll take the sting out of North Korea, too?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
"31. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain."

Don't do it. If you look online for folk remedies about WD40's use for this purpose, you will find it's false and can be dangerous for some.

edit on 13-4-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in your car!
Man I love the smell, but my wife hates it. Why buy car fragrance when you got WD40!!!!

Plus many other uses especially with electronics, computer fans (provided the caps are covered) removes thermal paste from CPU's (just a fraction amount needed), screws in cases, so it's not a hassle next time you need to work on the rig, cleaning the goo off the bottom of a mouse and cleaning up a keyboard.

If a guy doesn't give off a WD40 scent then his not a man.

edit on 14-4-2013 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I really can't stand the smell of the stuff to be honest, but yeah it's a great little invention.

I don't think it's advisable to use on the body though, unless you are a 'Tin man'.
edit on 14/4/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I didn't even know WD-40 did all this!

And god knows I got many of the things mentioned in that list...thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well, just to play devil's advocate...WD-40 dries out plastic & rubber over time. There are petroleum distillates in it so putting on the body (and leaving it on) would be a possible carcinogen. Silicone lubricate is a good choice for many of those uses, but still I would spray it on myself.
S&F so I don't come across too much of a jerk...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I always keep some on the tack room. It's great on hooves, and for de-tangling tails and manes.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by erwalker

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. The basic main ingredient is fish oil.

Actually, the main ingredient is mineral spirits, not fish oil. WD-40 Facts and Myths

It is also incorrect to say that it can't hurt you, though it is pretty safe if used properly.

Every chemical product used in the workplace must have a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) placed in a readily accessible binder. They contain far more information on the chemical product than you will find on a consumer label, including chemical composition, health hazards, fire hazards, handling and storage instructions, first aid measures, etc.

Here is the WD-40 MSDS

Spot on!

This myth is being perpetuated by one of those "folksy" chain mails going around the Facebook. Most information is good but the made up stuff is pretty bad and/or potentially dangerous!

A look at the WD-40 MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) shows that the product contains petroleum distillates. Skin contact may cause drying of skin and/or irritation. According to the WD-40 MSDS, it is advised to wash with soap and water if you have contact with your skin.

Greater risks can come from prolonged exposure. According to the article, WD-40 for Arthritis? by Katherine Poehlmann, Ph.D., "To date, no credible scientific studies have shown any benefit from the use of WD-40 for arthritis. In fact, there may be cumulative harmful effects."

arthritis.about.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Not for me (hobby is lock picking) can be a pain as it stops the pins from binding which is what you want when single pin picking. A spray of WD40 in your locks can also prevent bumping of your locks with bump keys. Graphite is the choice lube for locks, don't have any? - get some fine wet and dry and sand the lead out of you pencil - Graphite lock lube

Guess what's going in my BOB next

edit on 14-4-2013 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join