It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon to Build Robots With ‘Real’ Brains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Hello ats.

(I tried searching for this but I just kept getting an error so if it has been posted I apologize.)

my source

A Pentagon-funded team of scientists have constructed a machine that functions like a human brain and would enable robots to think independently and act autonomously. The program is called “physical intelligence” and is capable, “without being programmed like a traditional robot, of performing actions similar to humans,” making it the first incarnation of a robot that can perform “truly autonomously” without human input.

I'm not sure if this is true but if it is it's terrifying.

Noel Sharkey, professor of artificial intelligence and robotics at the University of Sheffield, has repeatedly warned that the robots currently being developed under the auspices of DARPA will eventually be used to kill. “Of course if it’s used for combat, it would be killing civilians as well as it’s not going to be able to discriminate between civilians and soldiers,” said Sharkey.

This sounds a little like science fiction but didn't they say that about smart phones and the internet not all that long ago?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My take on this is that everything is possible. As you can see with the article as technology advances and our knowledge improves. We can create new technology that would never have been consider. This is one of many cases. I have hopes that this will be used for good, not evil.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
FINALLY!

A replacement for politicians.

I hope they program the thing for truth. That would be a big improvement.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I want a robot with a human brain visible under a glass dome.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
FINALLY!

P

Naw, first use is always development for the military.

Not to worry though, computers will never know that they know.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
FINALLY!

P

Hmmm...."truthful politician" isn't that an oxymoron?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I'm not sure if this is true but if it is it's terrifying.

reply to post by billy565

Absolutely, and I could not agree more.

This sounds a little like science fiction but didn't they say that about smart phones and the internet not all that long ago?

Yes, and in science fiction the term for such was androids, indistinguishable from humans in virtually every way, except they did not bleed, required updating for their software, debatedly developed similar human emotions causing an ethical quandary as to whether their "lives," had less value than the "human," or "natural" counterpart...
Same as the ideas of clones in an early Frank Herbert series, the clones used for space exploration, rather than risking humans, as the clones were, again, thought to have lesser intrinsic value for they were not considered natural humans. Incidentally, the "clones" were exploring space on ships run by what was called an OMC, organic mental core, which was a human brain, beefed up with "wetworks," an interface with a computer allowing for instantaneous uploading of complex information for speedier thought processing and decision making, and the organic mental core's job was to run all processes of the ship, as well as navigation and delegation to crew of clones. The problem was the OMC on every mission always went insane. So, the clone team's job was to build out of mechanical parts a machine, computer, capable of taking the OMC's place, which required, by necessity, trying to emulate consciousness, raising, of course, a whole other set of ethical considerations and the problem of defining consciousness and what constitutes it.

Dangerously close here to getting off topic, but the point I'm getting at here, after all that, is who is to say that we are even "natural humans," any longer, anyway. We have plenty of evidence we have, in fact, become automatons through technology already, and perhaps even for quite some time now. Just something to ponder in relationship to what they are building, which I suspect has been already built, quite some time ago, using "natural humans," and control over us as the "prototype."

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

So judging by the infowars article, it's not an organic brain, but a really advanced nano-tech brain. I just thought it would use an advanced artificial neural network but it appears to be an actual hardware based ANN. Interesting and confusing. What did they model the neural net after, a human brain?
edit on 12/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
i've heard from AI guys they are further along then most might guess
IMHO
it takes only an idiot machine to kill
an AI...creating...
well, that'll take a while

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

yeah, after all, that was what the computer's neural net was modelled upon....
second

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Some would say we have been living a matrix of an AI quantum computer for quite some time....and there is quite a bit of science evidence to support that.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

I'm skeptical of your claims. However, I would like to hear more about humanity leaving in a matrix. Please share!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

What did the model the neural net after, a human brain?

Not sure but going by this statement....

“What sets this new device apart from any others is that it has nano-scale interconnected wires that perform billions of connections like a human brain, and is capable of remembering information,” writes Sandra I.

...... I would guess yes it's modeled after a human brain.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by tetra50

I'm skeptical of your claims. However, I would like to hear more about humanity leaving in a matrix. Please share!

First, if you check out my profile, I have a few threads dealing with that. Second, I will return presently with some sources, if you will be patient. Thanks for the interest.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

No problem. Sorry for derailing the thread. I was just curious about this too. Any bumping the thread. This is a good topic too.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Quickly, off the top of my head, check out The Holographic Universe. Next, look into Marshall Mcluhan, The Mechanical Bride, try wikipedia. Next, research a company called The Burroughs Corp, begun in the late 1800's in St. Louis, MO which made the first calculators and progressed to computational science from there by, arguably, just after WWII but definitely having made great strides around the time of the Viet Nam War. Many believe this would be around the time the first quantum computer was actually achieved, or at least an AI, a conscious, prescient, able to plan, predict a future course, and combined with satellite and other tech, including nanotech, which would virtually control the entire environment of the planet with sensors planted absolutely everywhere, be able to pull this kind of thing off, at the very least, covering the true "visage" of our planet with an algorythmically produced kind of "screen," or veil. If you can't see what is beneath such a thing, you cannot see what needs fixing, one of the many imiplications of this. Then if you control the evolution of humanity with genetic engineering or even just the appearance of that by simply controlling the thoughts and perhaps, actions of humanity, and then linking these behaviors to DNA without there being anything but the suggestive circumstances outlining such an "appearance," again.....well, then, perhaps you see where I am going with this.
It would explain entirely why history seems to happen in cycles or loops, events are erased, replaced, and then reoccur, perhaps slightly differently.
Then here is another thread for consideration in these matters: DARPA is in UR Brain, Hacking UR Stories--suggesting our experiences individually are collected, collated in such a way as to create stereotypes, or human archetypes, reducing us through both environmental inculcation through television, ever more entertaining electromagnetic emanating and surrounding technology gadgetry to keep us distracted and surrounded by said magnetism which we know affects the planet and all things upon it......

I'll give you more source links shortly. Gotta take a little break for a sec.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

What did the model the neural net after, a human brain?

Not sure but going by this statement....

“What sets this new device apart from any others is that it has nano-scale interconnected wires that perform billions of connections like a human brain, and is capable of remembering information,” writes Sandra I.

...... I would guess yes it's modeled after a human brain.

I was asking what did they model the structure of the ANN after... as in how did they determine the connections and weights and so on. A neural network can have an almost infinite number of different configurations. I want to know if they actually built it based on some evolutionary algorithm or if they just copied structures straight from the human brain. I don't see how it can be anything like a human unless they copied connection designs straight from the human brain.
edit on 12/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

OOh, I truly apologize if the OP feels we are derailing with this discussion. I think it's all part of the same. But by no means want to take the OP's thread in a directiton he/she would not want to focus on.
But again, do check out my profile, and a few of those threads. You'll find more of my sources and view of this there, without derailing the OP, in any way. And feel free to U2U, or take this up on one of my threads for more discussion along these particular lines, if you are so inclined.

It's all very important. And fascinating. And thanks to the OP, for this thread, as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
if we ever want robots cleaning our homes weeding our gardens caring for the elderly they have to be used by the government first like the internet cell phones velcro any number of tech we use daily had to be used by the government first before it would be release for public use.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
reply to post by Danbones

Some would say we have been living a matrix of an AI quantum computer for quite some time....and there is quite a bit of science evidence to support that.

None at all.

Educate me?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join