Biggest solar flare of the year knocks out radio transmissions

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Early this morning the sun erupted, sending billions of solar particles into space at over 600 miles per second, raising the prospect of solar radiation storms above the Earth, according to NASA. A spokesman said the resulting emissions sparked a short-lived radio communications blackout on Earth. The radio disruption has since subsided. The appearance of the strongest solar storm of 2013 is part of an increasingly common sight as astronomers say this is connected to the sun's 11-year activity cycle. More intense solar eruptions are expected later in the year.

This is the first of many apparently, the end of the 11 year cycle. Maybe N korea wont need an EMP to wipe out communications across the USA after all.

Oops i think i put this in the wrong forum!!! Can mods please move to the space forum, thanks
edit on 11-4-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

Thanks Blaine91555
edit on 11-4-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

That could possibly be why we had an internet outage last night in texas......

I have Att Uverse, and I called last night to find out and he said the whole state of Texas that was on ATT Uverse was down......

creepy!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Moved to Space Exploration. Service with a smile

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

That could be.....i and many people i know were having internet issues earlier on today. I thought it was my computer lagging until some of my friends complained of the same issues...this is London England.

Hopefully this one has passed now and we will see no more ill effects from it down here.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
we were waiting for this, for a few months now
the solar maximun was very quiet...well up untill now

thanx op

so do i pray? meditate? hide under the bed???

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
we were waiting for this, for a few months now
the solar maximun was very quiet...well up untill now

thanx op

so do i pray? meditate? hide under the bed???

I say get some hot tea and see whats on netflix

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Just a technicality, a solar flare can't knock out radio transmissions, but it can interfere with radio reception. Big difference between the 2

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Yesterday, I had to put on a long sleeved shirt at work because my right arm was getting burnt. The sun felt unusually "bitey" yesterday, and my right arm never got burnt through summer.

Also this morning, I heard 2 other truck drivers talking over the radio about how their GPS systems were not working.

Thought I'd just mention these.
edit on 12/4/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I wish I had known about it, would have taken some precautions too, I was out in the bush yesterday about that time with a T shirt on, I felt the unusual biteyness too for this time of year.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
You guys know it hasn't gotten here yet, right?
Those sensations can't be related.

Quick checks can be done here

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Well done. That does help. Solar flares are DEVASTATING, if they are aimed just right and are big enough. I used to get calls when I was a data center supervisor saying "Solar Flare occurred, expect degradation in your computer and comms networks from time x to time y. Take all necessary precautions if symptoms warrant, notify the appropriate agency and SECURE all computer networks. And our computers where in rooms that had copper plating in the walls, floors and ceiling! And they machines would still halt. Yah, Solar Flares are like that. I think the Solar flare reporting is done someplace out here in Colorado, since US Space Command is out here also.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
You guys know it hasn't gotten here yet, right?
Those sensations can't be related.

Quick checks can be done here

Different rays get here at different times.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
can anyone tell me how long such internet or gps blackouts lasted? and when and where? thanks.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
can anyone tell me how long such internet or gps blackouts lasted? and when and where? thanks.

Er mine was the other night from like 2 am or so till well i dunno i slept late, but the net was up at about 10 am....

Here in Texas.....monday or tues night i believe? Could have been wed crap i dont remember

top topics

join