It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea may be able to deliver nuke, Pentagon intel says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

North Korea may be able to deliver nuke, Pentagon intel says

edition.cnn.com

The Pentagon's intelligence arm has assessed with "moderate confidence" that North Korea has the ability to deliver a nuclear weapon with a ballistic missile, though the reliability is believed to be "low."

Disclosed first by a congressman at a hearing on Thursday and then confirmed to CNN by the Defense Department, the assessment by the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) is the clearest acknowledgment yet by the United States about potential advances in North Korea's nuclear program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well this is a interesting development, none other than the Defence Intelligence Agency are saying there is actually intelligence to suggest it is possible that North Korea may have developed the technology to develop nuclear missiles.

This is a clear change to what has been said in the past that North Korea had no real delivery method for a nuclear device.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yes. By AirMail.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Haha,

Well to be fair the DIA are saying that they’re “moderately confident” that they have this technology just that the reliability of these weapons is low.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yep, but did you honestly believe that a country as modern as North Korea was too stupid to build something with technology that has existed for 70 years? Please. I love when they said "They are at least 15 years off". lol

I mean a university student can do the calculations in an afternoon for the weight to lift ratio.

I think whats really going on is the US never expected NK to take it this far. Now they are forced to take it seriously even if it is just rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Haha,

Well to be fair the DIA are saying that they’re “moderately confident” that they have this technology just that the reliability of these weapons is low.

That means they are absolutely sure and that the reliability is probably not bad.

Or they need a damn good reason for a preemptive strike.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I thought it was interesting that the story has suddenly changed.

I have been saying from the beginning that the general public really has no way of knowing exactly what capabilities they have and that maybe, just maybe, we should take it just a bit more seriously and not immediately discount the threats as impossible.

I am more worried about our military that is stationed in closer proximity to NK, than I am about them actually managing to get anything on US soil.

S&F

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

They never tell us the full story. When they say the threat in minimal, its actually medium.

They dont want panic, they want us to support the military eventually if SHTF.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This raises the numerical score in favor of a pre-emptive strike by the US military......not that I am predicting same.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

At least they are finally being honest. It's not like their own reports and studies on the matter aren't in the public domain. They just aren't on CNN or Fox so..seemingly..they may as well not exist to most people.

I've been alternating between confusion and anger at how they've been deliberately playing this down as a 0 possibility scenario when they know damn well there IS a real chance, however slim, they could very well have much more for ability than they've chosen to demonstrate.

A couple other areas I'd like to see them make people aware of ...but that's their torch to light. Not mine. They better stop telling people there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to be concerned as someone in the region with every means to leave or ...traveling there and not actually committed to arrival yet. State was still babbling something about no credible threat to the ROK last I read any of their media statements.

Truth starts small, but at least it's started. If this is to be started in our names or pushing, even diplomatically that way, we all DO have a right to hear from our own leadership, what the actual stakes are here. IMHO.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Most people are of the opinion that NK if full of it and that they are not more of a threat than Irag or Afghanistan was.

Then i show them your threads lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Haha,

On a serious note. Like I said before in another similar thread... this is based on a potential 3 stage nk tae'po dong 2 with a range of 10.000km+ along with a few decoys to keep him company while in flight or using a depressed trajectory (like a 15º angle) that gives significant advantage to the attacker considering how hard it is for the defenses to kick in ... but this is hardly "new". Dont know why they're coming up with this now... and if I can come up with the missile and launch data including azimuth, elevation angle and the equations that comprehend even the freaking rotation of the planet considering you're hitting a "moving target" etc to do this I'm sure the top brass and brains can come up with something way better and way sooner than I can.

Again... why now? They have known all this for years...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
I thought it was interesting that the story has suddenly changed.

I have been saying from the beginning that the general public really has no way of knowing exactly what capabilities they have and that maybe, just maybe, we should take it just a bit more seriously and not immediately discount the threats as impossible.

I am more worried about our military that is stationed in closer proximity to NK, than I am about them actually managing to get anything on US soil.

S&F

Not sure which version of "the story has changed" you might be referring to....

After the DIA came out and say they have the capability, they are now reversing themselves and trying to say the Congressman who said that was "mistaken."

Who wants to bet on whether they can successfully put the cat back IN the bag???

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Well bugger me and call me patsy.........this is a complete turn around.

Reliability problems............pull the other one please.

Jesus H Christ...............we've been sold a complete lie for the last 6 months

Or....................is this another WMD excuse?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Well bugger me and call me patsy.........this is a complete turn around.

Reliability problems............pull the other one please.

Jesus H Christ...............we've been sold a complete lie for the last 6 months

Or....................is this another WMD excuse?

You bet it is.

THis will probably be their only window for years. Plus itll get all those unemployed people working again...for the military this time though.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Haha,

I hope that being "moderatley confident" is more than what they went on to justify invading Iraq...

Is anyone else getting deja vu? I remember the escalating intelligence reports before the 2nd Iraq war. Eventually the public was practically begging the government to stop Saddam. It was as if everyone was saying, "Well get on with it and take him out already!"

They can make an inteligence briefing say whatever they want to fit into an agenda...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If america could handle russian ICBMs then I feel confident they could handle a few NK ones that are probably much less reliable and accurate. It was called the star wars program and it started with ronald reagan. The only way NK would acheive its objective was if the american government allowed it to, and I wouldn't be suprised if they did considering they want an excuse to implement full martial law.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
U.S. Upgrades North Korea Nuclear Risk
Pentagon Report Says North Korea May Have Ability to Launch Nuclear Missile
Updated April 11, 2013, 7:25 p.m. ET

'"DIA assesses with moderate confidence the North currently has nuclear weapons capable of delivery by ballistic missiles,"' the conclusion said, according to Mr. Lamborn. '"However, the reliability will be low."'

online.wsj.com...

Congressman Doug Lamborn (CO-05) asks Secretary of Defense and Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff about North Korean missile capabilities, civilian furloughs, and missile defense under sequestration.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I was thinking along the same lines with the WMD thing. Maybe by escalating the amount of intelligence we think we have on their missile programs, the US may be posturing for an excuse to shoot down the missile that they have declared to be a test fire, regardless of what trajectory it may take.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Its not about stopping the missile. Its about stopping a war from happening.

Doesnt matter who fires the first shot, and its starting to look like the US will, war will start, and its not gonna be small time like Afghan and Iraq. This isnt a bunch of guys driving mazda light trucks with turrets mounted to them.

That and the cold war game was played differently than this, The US has no idea how to deal with this using their usual methods.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join