It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Possibly from Mercury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Meteorite Possibly from Mercury

www.npr.org

A strange green rock discovered in Morocco last year was hailed by the press as the first meteorite from Mercury. But scientists who've been puzzling over the stone since then say the accumulating evidence may point in a different direction. Maybe, just maybe, they say, the 4.56-billion-year-old rock fell to Earth from the asteroid belt located between Mars and Jupiter"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Scientists claim this meteorite found in Morocco could have come from Mercury. It could have came from the closest planet to the sun or possibly just an asteroid (an interesting one if thats the case). I like the green color it has to it. I would like to get my hands on something like this! If this is true it would be a one of a kind! Pretty interesting stuff!!

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I have no idea what's giving out the clue that it's coming from Mercury
edit on 11-4-2013 by SSimon because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2013 by SSimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Im guessing its just the low iron or somethin of that sort

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SSimon

Yeah. Aren't meteorites supposed to look half-molten, too, because of their atmospheric entry? Although I must admit this one did have 4 billion years to rust on Earth...
edit on 11-4-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It looks a lot like Moldavite.
My friend once bought his ex girlfriend a pendant with the green stone. He told us it was from outer space because it arrived on a meteorite.

I later found out that was only half true.

You see the meteorite did hit earth but Moldavite is actually classified as a Tektite and Tektite is actually a natural glass formed from a meteorite impact melting (vitrification) the local rock.

The best specimens of tektites come in to existence when the impact of the Meteorite throws the matter up in to the strat and the vitrification process happens as the matter comes back down through the atmosphere

This green one from where ever it is looks a lot like it.
Nice looking stone anyhow

Actually on closer examination this one is definitely weirder looking than moldavite! Lol.
I want to make a spear out of it real bad, is that weird? *adjusts tinfoil hat*
edit on 11-4-2013 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I think it's pretty safe to say that they really have no idea where it comes from, and probably will continue to only speculate. How can we really know where they come from? The universe is too vast and filled with so many materials and objects that come from all over..

But then again, i'm no space scientist

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Just how does a rock come from Mercury. How does the rock reach escape velocity! Do they have pitchers or bowlers that have that good an arm?

I supposes it is possible that a Mercury Volcano might shoot one out of orbit but I am pretty sure scientists would have determined that by now so does anyone know how the rock reached escape velocity and had enough additional velocity to somehow make it to Earth's higher orbit.

That rock should enter the space Olympics.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Just how does a rock come from Mercury. How does the rock reach escape velocity! Do they have pitchers or bowlers that have that good an arm?

Scientists theorize that Mercury suffered a catastrophe late in the formation of the solar system. They believe that a proto planet actually struck mercury at one point stripping away most of it's crust, leaving a thin crust and it's iron core. Mercury has a disproportionately large iron core as compared to the other inner planets. This is why scientists believe there was a huge impact sometime during the later formation of the solar system where there could have been dozens or even hundreds of planets and proto planets orbiting the sun. This crowded early solar system was a very violent place, collisions and ejections were inevitable. One of these collisions is theorized to have created our own moon.

It stands to reason that some of that debris actually made it here to Earth.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Thank you kind Sir. Have a star for that educational answer to my question.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I would lick it

I always lick funny rocks dunno why. They taste irony.

top topics

join