*AMAZING* Ancient Stone Indian Sculpture Found In Southern Georgia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
One of my friends who works for a local electric company in Albany, GA. The other day, a co-worker of his discovered a stone sculpture with painted accents buried beneath the Ga Red Clay. We do not know anything about the artifact and would love some help on determining its age and origin. We also cant seem to determine what indian tribe the sculpture depicts. Some say it looks like a Cherokee, others say appalachian indians judging from the cheek bones.

img833.imageshack.us...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TLOCKE

hi man, cool find,
The general look of it,, to me says under a hundred years old...
cant tell what tribe...
still a really nice piece,,

the shape of the "dreads" on both sides of its neck looks like it was made of, clay,,ceramics,,
edit on 11-4-2013 by solve because: just one more

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

But if it is under 100 years old, why was it found buried 3 feet under the ground?

EDIT: Also, the whole statue is solid stone. Weighs about 80 to 100 pounds
edit on 11-4-2013 by TLOCKE because: Forgot information.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TLOCKE

I have to admit that your find does not look all that amazing to me. It looks as though it is made of some sort of worn ceramic or possibly worn cement, and not like it is made of stone.

Hand painted busts of American Indians have been popular for a very long time and were especially popular in the 70s, which is about the earliest that I would place what you have found.

Also, I wouldn't bother trying to narrow down the tribe; what you are looking at is an 'artistic' abstraction of an American Indian.

Interesting post, though.
edit on 11-4-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TLOCKE

Looks a little like Sitting Bull.

upload.wikimedia.org...!Sitting_Bull_2.jpg

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TLOCKE

its hard to tell from a pic, have you seen it yourself?

how does a hammer get inside a solid piece of ancient coal?
strange things happen...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Neat....Not every day someone finds something like that. Is it made of pottery or rock

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm no expert but it looks like something made in mexico in the past 50 years. Why was it buried 3 feet underground? Perhaps it was a gift and was 'lost' because the gift-ee didn't appreciate it. I wouldn't dub something "ANCIENT" without proof.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

Our friend has seen it himself. He was with the guy when he found it underground. It wasnt even on his property. It was found on a job site. They were digging a hole for a tank.

And it is made of Rock, i am quite positive.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'd go out on a sturdy limb and say it's not ancient (that term does not mean 100 years. Maybe when you're talking eight to ten thousand years it starts to scratch the surface of "ancient"), or not even that old. It looks like a modern rendition. So if it turns out to be pretty old, congrats on an interesting find. If not, it's a good conversation/thread piece regardless.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Originally posted by grey580

Looks a little like Sitting Bull.

Or practically ANY other Native American elder.

Not trying to sound racist. Just being honest.
Am I wrong?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLOCKE
One of my friends who works for a local electric company in Albany, GA. The other day, a co-worker of his discovered a stone sculpture with painted accents buried beneath the Ga Red Clay. We do not know anything about the artifact and would love some help on determining its age and origin. We also cant seem to determine what indian tribe the sculpture depicts. Some say it looks like a Cherokee, others say appalachian indians judging from the cheek bones.

img833.imageshack.us...

It's very interesting, but it is clearly not made by a native culture, as it is in a very European form of a like like bust. What native American sculpture there is is very stylized in form and almost never realistic. I agree with those that think its modern, and it looks a lot like a craft kit item from the seventies. Maybe made of plaster or low fire slip mold. But it looked just like a bust I painted as a kid when in Cub Scouts, the ones we sid were plaster just like those ones in one of the previous posts.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Case solved. That bust that you posted is a DEAD on copy of the one in the OP. Someone burying their trash?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just to drive the point home...

One of them is a knock-off; I am thinking it is the one on the right. Kitsch imitating kitsch.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots
Just to drive the point home...

One of them is a knock-off; I am thinking it is the one on the right. Kitsch imitating kitsch.

well you beat me,just one step further.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

That was incredibly fast, my friend. Really nice work, too.

2nd.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

thanks, i started to post just the pictures, but thought the arrows would add a nice touch.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If that was crafted near Albany its more than likely a Seminole depiction. The only tribes native to that region are the Chiaha and the Capachequi. The Capachequi merged into the Seminole shortly after the county was founded. I have trouble believing this was 3 feet down unless it was lost and covered up by the flood/floods. Albany had major floods in 94' & 98' so you can find any sort of debris underground there.. Its not usually that deep though.
edit on 11-4-2013 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
To add something here:

Given the weight, it wouldn't take long (maybe even a single flood) to bury it 3 feet down. Rain soaking into the clay can turn it into "slip", allowing the artifact to eventually settle to the depth where it was eventually discovered. Giving it another 20 years or so, (rhetorically) who knows how far it would've sunk to.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLOCKE
One of my friends who works for a local electric company in Albany, GA. The other day, a co-worker of his discovered a stone sculpture with painted accents buried beneath the Ga Red Clay.
Doesn't look like anything I have ever seen outside of a plaster moulding kit when I was a kid. Just not the First Nations way of doing things...and I've seen and handled a lot of FN cultural material.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join