It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twist in dark matter tale hints at shadow Milky Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Sourc e: New Scientist

THE HUNT for some of the most wanted stuff in the universe took a new twist this week with the first results from a high-profile, space-based dark matter detector. The results are inconclusive, but, if combined with recent theory, they hint at something exciting. Could the universe have a dark side, complete with its own force, a zoo of particles and even a shadow version of the Milky Way?

Light and dark, Good and evil.Yin and Yang, what go's around comes around..

This reminds me of Treks Mirror Mirror universe

Are their anti-humans in that dark matter.. creepier still what if they were exact opposites of ourselves both needing to be there to survive in the physical realm?

Every piece of matter should have an opposite, Protons/Anti protons , electron - anti electron(Positron).
What if EVERYTHING had its opposite scaled up to suns , solar system, Galaxies and the whole universe itself..

They hinted recently that dark matter may have a more friendly role with normal matter than previously thought,
Dark matter and anti matter have always been portrayed as having catastrophic consequences if only the small amount touched the counterpart of normal matter.

I don't think it would be a bad bet to assume that everything is in balance and needs to be in order to exist.
edit on 11/4/13 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
lol if i said

North Korea are planning to invade the shadow milky way... u think i would get a comment? lol

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Pretty cool~ But what if we have it backwards and Dark Matter is light and we are in the Dark?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Of course it's inconclusive. They made dark matter and dark energy up to account for discrepancies in the data for their theories that didn't fit. Now because it's inconclusive ( and they cant have that) they make up yet another theory to explain it so they wont lose face.

It's amazing how so not like science, science has become. Science is it's own worst pseudo-science.
edit on 11-4-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....

Do the inhabitants of this dark galaxy all have moustaches or pointy gotees?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Yes they did make them up ... they are each a hypothesis!

Scientists generally don't make up the data that they interpret!

However it can occur!
:shk:

Personal Disclosure: Is there any thing in the OP or even the source article that would lead you directly to infer that the data was corrupt ,inherently unrealiable or manufacutred under false pretenses etc.?

If No, then what is illogical and unsound about either of the two 'dark' stuff hypothesis?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This may be the first step in discovering the dimensions nearest to us in space-time!

How exciting!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
My 2 cents and IMHO...

Dark energy exists, it's called universal expansion.
You can't normally perceive anti matter as it's ahead of us in time.
Our matter is a screw up (a boundary surface between 2 sets of dimensions) and the purest form of "matter" is dark matter, which is highly gravitationally attracted to our type of matter, is stuck to us like fur, has no dimensions and no e/m properties, so we can't interact with it.

As I typed, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
Sourc e: New Scientist
Dark matter and anti matter have always been portrayed as having catastrophic consequences if only the small amount touched the counterpart of normal matter.
Anti-matter, yes.
I never heard that about dark matter.
So the "drunkards" have a bigger lamppost now?

Weiner describes dark matter hunters like a drunkard looking for keys under a lamp post – that's not where the boozer dropped them, just where the light is. "Changing the dark matter model enlarges the lamp post you're looking under," he says

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Very interesting discussion, OP. In fact, there have been several threads in relation to fairly older science fiction authors and books, and how much of what was written, starting say with Asimov, in the '50's, has seemed prescient when seen through the lens of today. And all the more recent quantum and even mechanical and particle physics, string theory, etc, alluding to parallel universes.

I believe it was Asimov's Foundation series that was about Hari Seldon and his assertion that there was an exact parallel of earth....whether in total reverse reflections or not, and about assuring the survival of planet and species by controlling the events of one place to produce another effect on the other, a fine tuned balance, while it depended upon the parallels never being aware of the other's existence.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If this research finds proof from the Gaia Satellite or the IceCube Detector in Antarctica, it would be THE single most important discovery of the 21st century! Imagine ... a World intertwined with Another.

The Vedic concept of Creation simplifies the act of creation as the union of Shiva and Shakthi, similarly the Ying Yang theory is all about creation from the union of these two forces. Both forces mingle to create and yet remain separate.

Is it possible that the Ancient Sages had knowledge of such incredible scientific depth?

new topics

top topics

join