It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to defend yourself in a situation similar to the recent Lone Star college stabbing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Lets see, grab a desk or chair and hit the guy with it, putting him on the defense so he doesn't try to stab you. Whack him with your laptop, bookbag, etc.. Confidence and anger will give us super strength. Don't try this if the person has a gun, that would be dumb. Either that or get the hell out of there

When you knock him out with the laptop, you could say you googled him.
edit on 11-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
If it's only money they want,or a cell phone, give it. It aint worth dying for

That's what the person who is trying to rob me should be thinking. Once someone pulls a weapon on me, I automatically consider my life in danger. If I give them what whey want, what guarantee do I have that they are going to leave me alone? None. Another point is that, say I had the ability to stop them and I didn't, I couldn't live with myself if they hurt or killed the next person they robbed. In 1993 I worked at a convenience store, four nights a week, the other three nights I worked as an armed guard. I got a weird phone call one night and decided to go out to my car and get my pistol. About 5AM a guy came in and pulled a knife and wanted the money that was in the register. I pulled my pistol on him and held him until the Police arrived. The store owner came in and told me to go home when I was done with the Police. A few minutes after I got home I got a call telling me that I was fired. The owner refused to press charges and the guy was released. A few months later, the same guy robbed the store and RAPED the girl who replaced me. I should have shot him when I had the chance.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Most of these attacks are commited by cowards in the first place. Look at the Colorado shooter, wearing a bulletproof vest so he couldn't be shot, because he was afraid. Newtown, same deal and shot an elementary school up because he was afraid of resistance. This newest guy in TX carried a stuffed animal around and talked to it. Evidence has shown in other incidents that most agressors in these types of conflicts usually give up or commit suicide when met with resistance.

That's where having the balls to close with the enemy is paramount. Whether it be some nut in a school or someone breaking in your house, when the choice comes to them or you, you must make that decision and commit with everything you have to disable them completely.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Moshpet
Running away is the best option though.

However, if faced by someone with a knife, and you are in a classroom with chairs... pick one up and swing at them with it.
Throw the chairs at them, throw those 10 pound text books, clobber them with your backpack or briefcase. Scoot over or under the desks, keep them between you and the knife wielder. In an auditorium hop over the rows, keeping out of their range. In all cases, move! Don't stand still like a deer in headlights.

Yell at them too, make a lot of noise, so people know there is danger in the area.
Run away, (if possible.) If not throw stuff, move and yell.

M.
That is all ok. I would rather pull my gun and shoot them. I bet they never attack someone with a knife again after I do.

And just as you pull your gun to shoot them another person just running up to see whet the running and screaming is about thinks you are about to shoot some one and puts you down.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
or.. run away its a knife not a gun unless they are a master knife thrower chances are you are good.

I heard recently that you can simply soil yourself as a defense, problem solved and you don't even work up a sweat running..

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It is a good idea to know some form of combative system to be able to defend yourself and your loved ones. Sometimes even those of us that love our guns may not, for whatever reason, have them with us at the time someone decides to attack.

So, as to OP stated, everyone has the fight or flight routine built into our system. It is hard-wired and is a defense mechanism that is supposed to help save your life.

Now you have this new found knowledge, this combative system that will cripple or kill multiple enemies. Unfortunately all the knowledge in the world will not help you survive if you do not have what it takes to stand there and go toe to toe with someone that is trying to kill you or someone else.

It all goes back to that hard-wired fight or flight response. If you can not get that response under control then it will control you and all your knowledge of fighting just flew out the door. Even those with weapon skills, on the range, are faced with the same problem when faced with the same situation in real life.

When fight or flight kicks in the body goes through major changes in how it operates in order to give you a better chance at survival. If you choose flight, then you will be able to run faster and farther than you normally would due to the host of chemicals being created in the body just for that situation.

If, on the other hand, you choose fight, that same chemical soup is coursing through your body, endorphins, adrenalin, etc, and your muscles tense up to deliver hard blows and capillaries shrink to reduce blood loss. Unfortunately you also lose all control of fine motor skills so there goes all your perfect marksmanship from the range and all those beautiful combat moves that require you to grab your opponent and strike at critical points just blew up in your face because you can only use gross motor skills at this point.

Fortunately you can overcome these shortfalls but it requires dedication and developing a killer instinct. You don't just wake up one day and decide that "today I'm going to be a killer". Only psychopaths are able to do that,

It takes a specific mindset to be able to look an armed violent person in the face and to be calm enough to decide the correct course of action to take in that specific situation.

It's very easy to type on a keyboard that you would just pull your trusty gun out and shoot him when all you have ever shot is a target or to say that you will gouge someones eyes out, crush their throat, break their knees backwards or break their necks when all you have ever done is sparred with a willing partner.

By all means train but don't think that just training alone will give you what it takes to do what is necessary when the time comes. If you don't have that killer instinct then you have nothing.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by clayb2004
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Well assuming you are a responsible gun owner like myself, you know there are probably places in your state (like mine) that prohibit you from carrying that SR40C (nice choice, btw) and if you are caught doing so, you lose the privilege of carrying any weapon for the rest of your life (legally of course) in that state.

Yes... you are correct, and I am a responsible gun owner. The situation this thread is based on happened at a college, and I'm not sure what the laws are there concerning concealed carry. I know that a mass stabbing will probably never happen at the University of Utah, because students are allowed to carry there if they have a concealed carry permit. On a side note... there has never been a mass shooting at the University of Utah, at least none that I am aware of, but enough of the common sense, I know that i am preraching to the choir.

I live in Virginia, and in this state we can carry pretty much everywhere, including bars if the person who is carrying is not drinking. In conclusion, the laws that exist restricting where a law abiding person can carry are counterintuitive and pointless. I carry regardless, which by definition makes me a non-law abiding person, but that is under man made law. My right to defend myself and my family, regardless of where I am at comes from a higher law we know as Natural Law. Natural law is superior to man made law, as I'm sure you already know.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Though I brought this subject up because of the latest situation at the Texas college, having a self defense plan and the mentality to use it would hardly be limited to only that situation. I am well aware of the laws in Utah and the lack of mass shootings because of them. I have a Utah CFP in addition to my home state for reciprocity reasons. I am also aware of Virginia laws as I am originally from there, (Martinsville). I too, have carried when I shouldn't have given certain circumstances. I am a firm believer in that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. However, I do not always have my weapon, and for that reason I have a back up and believe everyone else should as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
In this particular situation, I would hope that my fight instinct would kick in. This nut job was armed with an xacto knife and on any college campus most students are well armed with a backpack full of heavy textbooks. ( they still use books don't they). I would've unleashed a 5 minute fury on this teddy bear toting crazy with my back pack and a 3 inch thick Art History book. I was a bit surprised to hear how people immediately ran for cover rather than properly assessing the threat. Power in numbers. Imagine 3 people attacking this loon with their backpacks. Imagine the impact with a bag laden with books and a laptop. This guy could have been knocked silly.

It's not like there was a sign of gunfire that would force people to the ground by instinct.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

In FL, we're pretty liberal with it, no registration needed, etc., but even with a CCW, you can't bring a gun into a school. (and other select businesses, facilities).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join