It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to defend yourself in a situation similar to the recent Lone Star college stabbing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Modern Army Combatives Instructor course was the most challenging class I've had the oppurtunity to take since I've been in the Air Force (Yes, the AF has Combatives Instructors too). I learned a lot of things a few years ago that I believe would be beneficial to pass on to those not in the military given the recent outbreak of mass murders/stabbings, etc.

The most important thing I am going to hit on here is the fact that all human beings are programmed for the fight or flight response. Unfortunately, my generation, and those after it have been ingrained to simply comply with the situation or flee because it is the easiest (not always safest) way to solve a problem. I believe that a few like-minded individuals could have ended the most recent situation in TX pretty quickly had they had the confidence and courage to do what was needed.

Modern Army Combatives is the instruction of hand–to–hand and rifle–bayonet fighting and is key in ensuring Soldiers are mentally prepared to engage and kill the enemies of the United States in close combat. I believe the most important part of this training is the 1st Phase of the Basic Fight Strategy, which is closing the distance with your attacker. This is also the most difficult for most people to complete because it requires a lot of courage to decide that your life is more important than that of your attacker and you will do whatever necessary to make sure that you live and they do not.

I'm not going to go through the entire course because there is entirely too much information for me to type while I'm at work but I am going to give you all the information you need to study this subject if you are so inclined. This may have been posted on here somewhere before but given the recent happenings and comments like "Someone should have stopped them." I thought it necessary to bring to light again. Please give it a read, I am sure you will find it interesting.

US Army Modern Army Combatives

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
or.. run away its a knife not a gun unless they are a master knife thrower chances are you are good.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by clayb2004

I like where your going with this. SnF~ IMHO it should be mandatory for everyone to learn self-defense be it any form you may choose. This world is becoming scarier each passing moment and majority like the threader before stated "Run Away" yes to fight another day. But what if this is not possible? What if your cornered? What if you can't and your left to fight your way out? Could you make it out? Do you know how to maime someone so you can run away? I'm not against running away but If backed into a corner the fight or flight turns into "Boy you better know how to defend yourself or you going home in a black body bag"

On that note, my young daughter will be taught how to defend herself, as well I have taken the time to introduce self-defense to my fiance so that if ever, let me say that again EVER she is put into a situation where she needs to fight, she will know where and how to strike the assailiant.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

" He ( Or she...) who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day "

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Sometimes there is nowhere to run.
I never leave home without my trusty pepper spray.

OP
Great idea for a thread. I'll be paying close attention.
S&F

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Running away is the best option though.

However, if faced by someone with a knife, and you are in a classroom with chairs... pick one up and swing at them with it.
Throw the chairs at them, throw those 10 pound text books, clobber them with your backpack or briefcase. Scoot over or under the desks, keep them between you and the knife wielder. In an auditorium hop over the rows, keeping out of their range. In all cases, move! Don't stand still like a deer in headlights.

Yell at them too, make a lot of noise, so people know there is danger in the area.
Run away, (if possible.) If not throw stuff, move and yell.

M.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
How to defend yourself?

Bring a gun to a knife fight.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

I like where your going with this. SnF~ IMHO it should be mandatory for everyone to learn self-defense be it any form you may choose.
I choose my gun. Thank you for your support.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Sometimes there is nowhere to run.
I never leave home without my trusty pepper spray.
Great! If the wind is at your assailants back, you just made his job easier.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
Running away is the best option though.

However, if faced by someone with a knife, and you are in a classroom with chairs... pick one up and swing at them with it.
Throw the chairs at them, throw those 10 pound text books, clobber them with your backpack or briefcase. Scoot over or under the desks, keep them between you and the knife wielder. In an auditorium hop over the rows, keeping out of their range. In all cases, move! Don't stand still like a deer in headlights.

Yell at them too, make a lot of noise, so people know there is danger in the area.
Run away, (if possible.) If not throw stuff, move and yell.

M.
That is all ok. I would rather pull my gun and shoot them. I bet they never attack someone with a knife again after I do.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I feel the same way Darth, and anytime~ If the threaders before read my response they would have noted and scene that I already discused the answers they have given.

Unfortunately I'm in Chicago the strictest gun state in the U.S..... I wait to be able to CCW, June is right around the corner
So hopefully this will pass and I will feel safer walking at night.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is what I was taught

But you must practice practice and practice until it is second nature

If it's only money they want,or a cell phone, give it. It aint worth dying for, if your life is in danger, there are no rules simple as that.

Cody

edit on 11/4/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If you cant flee then you have to fight. Quickly and with commitment. Once you decide to go you GO for anything you can. Face, eyes, limbs, joints, clothing. Just go and dont stop until the threat stops fighting back. Balls to the wall red line adrenaline. Dont think just go.

The only way through an ambush is fighting.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I like to think I have enough sense NOT to spray up-wind.

The situation at Lone Star College took place in a "gun free zone".

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I would pull out my concealed Ruger sr40c and, well... I'm sure you can figure the rest out.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Well assuming you are a responsible gun owner like myself, you know there are probably places in your state (like mine) that prohibit you from carrying that SR40C (nice choice, btw) and if you are caught doing so, you lose the privilege of carrying any weapon for the rest of your life (legally of course) in that state.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Are you stalking me Sub because I have the same friggin gun! And I LOVE IT!!!
J/K I feel the same way~

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by clayb2004

Well assuming you are a responsible gun owner like myself, you know there are probably places in your state (like mine) that prohibit you from carrying that SR40C (nice choice, btw) and if you are caught doing so, you lose the privilege of carrying any weapon for the rest of your life (legally of course) in that state.
And those places get no business from me.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yep I agree completely. Unfortunately, in my state that also includes schools, government buildings, any restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption on premises, etc.

I have no choice but leave my weapon in my vehicle sometimes, THAT is when you need to be prepared in a different way.

Sure running is a better option sometimes, but my wife doesn't act/run as quickly as me. Think I'm going to leave her somewhere with a knife wielding nut job running around, nah. If I were a faculty member at a school, I'm sure I would care for the students there somewhat, am I just going to run and let whatever happens happen? That is exactly what is wrong with our entire society now, and THAT is how a couple guys with box cutters took down 2 freaking jets with ~140 ppl each in them.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I remember a guy came at me with a piece of wood once. I picked up a garden hose. He chuckled, and I went savagely at him with the hose, the metal nozzle repeatedly hitting him upside the head (after I had disarmed his club like a whip). He wasn't chuckling anymore....

As another said, they had chairs, seems like a little weapon improv could have gone a long way....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join