It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will gun control stop gang violence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
To me, Gun Control is a very stupid idea. It really has nothing to do with reducing gun violence. It has everything to do with a Progressive agenda to erode the second amendment.

Think about how silly it sounds. In order to stop criminals from killing, they want to take guns from law abiding citizens.

Government can't control drugs or prostitution. Criminals have gotten filthy rich selling drugs. During prohibition, gangs were fighting over who and where they could sell booze because millions of dollars could be made. So much for Government control.

The guns the Government "control" will just be controlled by criminals who will make tax free millions selling these weapons the Government controls.

So how will stopping me from getting a weapon stop O Dogg Double G from getting a weapon and shooting up a rival gang.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
because when they buy guns from the store to kill people they will have to get background checks and stuff.. oh wait they dont buy them from the store.... hmm I guess it wont.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

With all the talk about laws concerning gun control, not one law was proposed to increase the penalty for a person using a gun in the act of a crime.

Making it a penalty of death for anyone using a firearm in the commission of a crime would do more to reduce gun violence then any "law" being vomited out of DC.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
because when they buy guns from the store to kill people they will have to get background checks and stuff.. oh wait they dont buy them from the store.... hmm I guess it wont.

LOL, good point!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They are re-creating the prohibition era incentives for a massive criminal underground economy.

Even I am tempted.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The only thing that will stop gang violence is Marshal Law Nazi style.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And how about actually enforcing those laws now? (em, chicago)
And making tougher laws when you are in possession of a stolen gun or one with the serial numbers filed off?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A good reply, beezzer. Automatic death sentence, immediate, with no chance of reprieve, on being convicted of using a firearm in the commission of any crime....

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
How will gun control stop gang violence?,

It doesn't because that is not even part of the national discussion.

"Gangsters" don't even bother with gun control laws think about it when the 1934 ban on machine guns was the same deal.

The average citizen wasn't going around spraying people with lead at the time Gangsters were.

Gun control laws are nothing, but weapons of mass destruction that all laws are, and "progressives" really don't care if there is collateral damage.
edit on 11-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by beezzer

And how about actually enforcing those laws now? (em, chicago)
And making tougher laws when you are in possession of a stolen gun or one with the serial numbers filed off?

Exactly. What I don't get is that DC is targeting law-abiding people and ignoring the ones that actually commit crimes!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

With all the talk about laws concerning gun control, not one law was proposed to increase the penalty for a person using a gun in the act of a crime.

Making it a penalty of death for anyone using a firearm in the commission of a crime would do more to reduce gun violence then any "law" being vomited out of DC.

Correct sir... makes no sense.. if you want to stop it then make the penalty so high that you wouldn't dare use a gun to commit a crime.. It makes perfect sense. Just like people think hard about robbing certain places becasue they carry such high prison terms like robbing a bank compared to robbing a gas station.. Why it should be different makes no sense to me I think if you rob anything it should carry the same penalty.. But look at how many people rob banks compared to gas stations.

Its pretty hard to rob someone most of the time without a gun so if I were a robber type and all the sudden there was a new law everywhere that if you use a gun to commit ANY crime you will automatically get life in prison if found guilty.. I would REALLY think hard about using a gun to commit crime and likely wouldn't do it because there isn't to much that is worth stealing or robbing that is worth life in prison.

Most people who rob things get 5-6 years in prison if even as long as no one got hurt... so they don't care either they get the $$$ or they spend a few years in jail it makes no care for them.

When I was in jail this idiot came in and got arrrested 5 days after he got out of jail for 6 years for robbing someone with a gun. Then they caught him with a gun now as a felon and some drugs.. So he got another 6 years. Criminals don't care because the terms are't harsh enough.

Even then you will always have people who just dont care because they have nothing so its either have nothing or take something.. if it doesn't work you end up in jail with free room and board either way you end up better off then you are to start with.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My issue with gun control is that we're chasing after an imaginary boogieman. When the Sandy Hook massacre happened people freaked out because they couldn't imagine all those young children could die by one gunman. Yes, it is sad. But it is also rare. Being an American we should know the media will produce so many reports on the shooting that if you're a foreigner or a person who doesn't watch current events; you'll believe this happens commonly. However, this is similar to the events of the Columbine massacre where the shooting was random and mass hysteria unfolded. In fact our media transforms criminals into celebrities like the Casey Anthony murder trial. Targeting gun owners will not stop gun crimes. As criminals and killers will do anything to commit crimes. Just like making narcotics will stop the use of drugs. I'm just trying to make sense of the madness of people. Wish we can stop all the deaths and crimes.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why would they craft a effective gum bill for stopping gang violence. It keeps the current system favoring those seeking political office. A good chunk of our political fools come from lawyers and who gets to profit from crime besides criminals? Lawyers [though it can be argued they too are crooks] receive work when crimes are committed.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Hmmm, how will gun control stop gang violence? Well, it'll make the gangs life a lot easier since they don't have to worry about people defending themselves or their property.
As for gang on gang violence? Not so much until we get stricter laws on law abiding citizens. Hmm, that don't make much sense but that seems to be the way we're going aren't we.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Because not all gang members have a huge rap sheet. Now, they legislate some sensible gun control measures, and they pull over some ghettomobile filled with hood rats. What do you think will happen if the cop sees a bunch of firearms in the car?

"Those guns are illegal! Oh well, we only regulated legal firearms, I guess I'll have to let you go."

I don't think so, Punky D and his d bag friends all get a trip upriver for a long long time, now the streets are one gangsta crew cleaner.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A very difficult distinction to make. Being completely anti gun and well known for airing my views, if the crims did'nt have guns, then the law abiding wouldn't need them either, presumably...

I know there is more to it than that. Apparently Americans like to have guns in case the state wants to take away their rights, or anything else.

I would have thought this rather unlikely ?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Because not all gang members have a huge rap sheet.

The majority of Americans don't have "rap" sheets, but that doesn't seem matter make them average Joe pay anyway.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Whats the difference between a gang member and a politician?

None they both like to do drive by shootings/drive by legislating.
edit on 11-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Your mistake is assuming any regulation/legislation is about common safety.

When 30,000 people die every year in traffic accidents nobody pushes for safer roads but when some 85 year old dementia case drives through a park and over six or eight kids once every ten years playing kickball the war drums sound for revoking senior licenses and mandatory retesting.

Make us all safer and reduce the 30K fatalities or attack the AARP because one senior every ten years hits the wrong peddle?

Texting while driving laws. Already have distracted driving laws on the books. They've been there for as long as we've been alive. Of course they're never enforced. Mainly because enforcement is unrealistic and essentially impossible. But some kid slams into a tree because he was doing perhaps the most incredibly stupid thing anyone could be doing and there's a national outcry for redundant and still unenforceable laws.

The real issue, I think, is why are legislators and their constituents so goddamned stupid.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by beezzer

A very difficult distinction to make. Being completely anti gun and well known for airing my views, if the crims did'nt have guns, then the law abiding wouldn't need them either, presumably...

I know there is more to it than that. Apparently Americans like to have guns in case the state wants to take away their rights, or anything else.

I would have thought this rather unlikely ?

And yet the State is trying to create laws that would take away guns, limit gun ownership, limit ammo purchases.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join