It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal Pollution Absorbed By Flowers Is One Major Cause Of Bumblebee Decline New Research Finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by Bedlam

aluminum oxide is an insulator but its only a few molecules thick on amy al paticle or surface
like wire in an electric motor

Wire is one thing, aluminum in nature is not metallic aluminum. Nor are 'nano particles'. If you have nanoparticulate aluminum in air, you'll discover the meaning of the word 'pyrophoric'.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I work with uncoated Al in various trades all the time
I have even smelted it in the scrap biz

if there is any in the bees little brain there will be miss firing nuerons

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
HEY EVERYONE,

Please when you use acronyms don't assume that everyone knows what they mean - we often don't. Please state the acronym with it's meaning the first time you use it, i.e. CCD (Colony Colapse Disorder. It helps us less savvy folk know what you are talking about.

Wanted to thank the OP for this thread and post so that I could follow the discussion. S&F (Star and Flag).

There seem to be many contributing factors to CCD. Many have been sited and I believe that it is not one or the other but the interaction of those factors. This is the problem of our times - how do we act when we can't predict the outcome of our actions, how they will interact with other actions.

In a case like this, this intertwining of possible causes (most supported by good research) causes a dilution of responsiblity which lead to inaction on any corrective measures (like when you have a phone/internet/hardware/software problem it's always the other guy's (company's) problem and you get nowhere).

I didn't know about Monsanto's buying the Bee research place - that makes me VERY AFRAID.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
you'll discover the meaning of the word 'pyrophoric'.

Sorry not to interrpupt you and Dan, keep going after I say this...

but what if the aluminum is nano disc aligned with the lighter aluminum/aluminum oxide
side facing up, and a heavier barium titanate side facing down.

In sunlight they would heat up - photophoresis
supposedly to a stable position in the atmosphere * ** *

but I digress...you say still this would have no detrimental effect ?
I think Dan has a good point....

edit on 12-4-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

but I digress...you say still this would have no detrimental effect ?

Not sure how this has anything to do with exhaust-contaminated flowers.

You can build bombers out of aluminum too.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

That was pyrophoric as you said, opposed to photophoresis
as designed. Ok, its late I am turing in.

Manana

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Thank you for the reminder, its noted.

There maybe a few I forgot in the OP, thanks for your comments.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Back in 70. and 80. there were big problems with acid rains here in Central Europe. Forests on mountain tops were dieing. But acidity of rainwater was not direct culprit: it somehow changed balance of soil and trees were metabolizing aluminium. That was end reason of large scale deforestation.

What I want to say is that ecosystems are very complex. For example usage of glyphosates (Roundup to name one) kill some soil bacteria while others thrive thus changing symbiotic ties in soil. Result may be larger intake of aluminium (or any other element) by plants. Once again this is just speculative example. If there is abnormal concentration of aluminium in pollen the reason may be hidden, non-intuitive.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanAmosComenius

For example usage of glyphosates (Roundup to name one) kill some soil bacteria while others thrive thus changing symbiotic ties in soil. Result may be larger intake of aluminium (or any other element) by plants. Once again this is just speculative example.

Hi JAC,

And very good logical speculation at that....aluminum can and will replace minerals,
in humans and I would assume the same in soils.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
My posts about Chemtrails, Geoengineers wanting to dump 10-30 megatons of aluminum in the atmosphere for climate control, and the proof aluminum is causing health affects in our everyday lives.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also believe this is why lung cancer is rampant.

Stock up on Clean Chlorella.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Bumble bees are often times confused with 'Carpenter' bees, both being big, predominantly black-ish and with their distinct hovering and buzz sound. Carpenter bees bore holes in wooden structures anywhere the can do so, and be unmolested. A nuisance mostly, but in doing so, and usually under the eves of house roofs, they must first bore through paint. And..... how many homes from the 20th century were painted with lead base paint? I think many know the answer, most paints from the 40's, 50's and through the 60's were painted with lead base paints. The discovery of the toxic effect was not heeded much until the late 60's and early 70's when it was removed from gasoline used in autos. The early Romans found out the hard way with plumbing made with lead, and drinking utensils also made from the substance. Lead was a contributing factor in their decline.

The governing authorities will find to late that all the contributing factors killing bees, will come back to haunt them in due course. But only when it is too late or we are on the cusp of ouw own decline, will we acknowledge that we acted too late. We have far more concerns now days to contend with like radiation, toxins and global climate changes. Weather 'man made' or 'cyclic', the outcome will be displacement of flora and fauna from their original locations to locations that can accommodate their needs. The industrial revolution has brought about many metals and alloys not found in nature, some inert, others highly toxic. Ignorance fueled much of the progress we thought we were making. And now we must live with the repercussions of our technologies.

But I think greed and national disturbances will be much more accountable in mans decline. When we have destroyed all the bounty the Earth has to offer in the quest for dominance over others, we will reach a point of no return. All will suffer, many will die, and a new 'Epoch' will be the world in which we will be forced to make due.

Bees will be allowed to diminish and diminish until we are at the point of no return. Only then... will we address the problem in earnest. And perhaps it will be much too late. and a cleansing will occur. Mankind will be what is cleansed.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I thought according to some group of people that there is no such thing as pollution and earth will heal itself etc etc.... and human can do no damage to earth.
well honestly the earth can fire off a dozen volcanos & waaallaaa the earth is reset & the trash & mankind is gone

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
From what I understand (with little more than basic highschool chemistry knowledge), aluminum on it's own or in most typical compounds isn't biologically active. It's not likely to be coming from cans, foil, or typical airplane or other industrial parts. Some other chemical has to be reacting with it to make it soluable in order to be biologically absorbed.

That doesn't dismiss it as a potential problem though.

Metals could be coming from other sources rather than typical forms in daily use. With foxes guarding the henhouse these days, there's not enough regulatory oversight to chemical usage - particularly if no short term effects are readily apparent. Just using some google skills out of curiosity might point in the right direction.

www.google.com...

Under the results of that, stuff like this might be interesting to keep an eye on: www.google.com...

Throw in some other stuff like genetic engineering or pesticides/herbicides which may alter metabolic intake of metals from the norm, and who knows how it goes up the food chain?

Still needs a lot more research than what a typical person may be able to do though.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Aluminum nanosized particles are more reactive and can cause inflammation in tissues.

Effects of nanoparticles on the brain and spinal cord, via neurodegenerative disease.
(Alzheimer’s )

Nanoparticles of aluminum are not only infinitely more inflammatory, they also easily penetrate the brain by a number of routes, including the blood and olfactory nerves. Studies have shown that these particles pass along the olfactory neural tracts, which connect directly to the area of the brain.

This is the effect on humans, what might the effect be on bees?

Win-Shwe T-T, Fujimaki H. Nanoparticles and Neurotoxicity. In J Mol Sci 2011;12:6267-6280.

Krewski D et al. The biological effects of nanoparticles. Risk assessment for aluminum, aluminum oxide, and aluminum hydroxide. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 2007;10(suppl 1): 1-269.

Blaylock RL. Aluminum induced immunoexcitotoxicity in neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders. Curr Inorg Chem 2012;2:46-53.

Tomljenovic L. Aluminum and Alzheimer’s disease: after a century, is their a plausible link. J Alzheimer’s Disease 2011;23:567-598.

Perl DP, Good PF. Aluminum, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the olfactory system. Ann NY Acad Sci 1991;640:8-13.

Shaw CA, Petrik MS. Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration. J Inorg Biochem 2009;103:1555-1562.

Braydich-Stolie LK et al. Nanosized aluminum altered immune function. ACS Nano 2010:4:3661-3670.

Li XB et al. Glia activation induced by peripheral administration of aluminum oxide nanoparticles in rat brains. Nanomedicine 2009;5:473-479.

Exley C, House E. Aluminum in the human brain. Monatsh Chem 2011;142:357-363.

Nayak P, Chatterjee AK. Effects of aluminum exposure on brain glutamate and GABA system: an experimental study in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2001;39:1285-1289.

Tsunoda M, Sharma RP. Modulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha expression in mouse brain after exposure to aluminum in drinking water. Arch Toxicol 1999;73:419-426.

Matyja E. Aluminum changes glutamate –mediated neurotoxicity in organotypic cultures of rat hippocampus. Folia Neuropathol 2000;38:47-53.

Walton JR. Aluminum in hippocampal neurons from humans with Alzheimer’s disease. Neurotoxicology 2006;27:385-394.

Walton JR. An aluminum-based rat model for Alzheimer’s disease exhibits oxidative damage, inhibition of PP2A activity, hyperphosphorylated tau and granulovacuolar degeneration. J Inorg Biochem 2007;101:1275-1284.

Becaria A et al. Aluminum and copper in drinking water enhance inflammatory or oxidative events specifically in brain. J Neuroimmunol 2006;176:16-23.

Exley C. A molecular mechanism for aluminum-induced Alzheimer’s disease. J Inorg Biochem 1999;76:133-140.

Exley C. The pro-oxidant activity of aluminum. Free Rad Biol Med 2004;36:380-387.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Someone posted a question a ways back about those who are (Solar Radiation Management) proponents,
were they also AGW believers....

Yes they are...

“The massive complexities associated with geoengineering, and the potential for winners and losers, means that some form of global governance is essential,” said Jim Haywood at the Met Office’s Hadley Centre in Exeter.

It is interesting to note that this comes from the Hadley Centre, the same institution that was at the centre of the “climate-gate scandal”. Some of the most prominent advocates of manmade global warming are working there. www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

if there is any in the bees little brain there will be miss firing nuerons

Yes sir, very right indeed....
You will like this video, USAF aluminum nanoparticles and jet fuel.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The aluminum contamination is especially detrimental to the Bumblebees, as it is
present in higher concentrations, and it is thought that the bees do not sense its presence,
continuing to forage on the aluminum laden blossoms after being desensitized to it

“It’s unclear why the bees didn’t sense the aluminum,” said Meindl. “However, past studies
show that the concentrations of aluminum found throughout blooms tend to be higher than
concentrations of nickel. This suggests that the bees may be more tolerant or immune to its presence.”

What is curious is while we know that certain classes of pesticides have been put into use
in the last decade, heavily associated with GMO crops, it is not clear why the
aluminum and nickel contamination has a recent impact, automoblies and
industrial factory waste are not new in any sense.
hat
other members here can discuss this, and present their thoughts and ideas.

An abstract of the study "The Effects Of Aluminum And Nickel In
Nectar On The Foraging Behavior Of Bumblebees”

is here apinews

NatureWorldNews
edit on 11-4-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Look at all the items in a garden that are metal and rust; iron and steel water barrels, old oil drums. There are metal pins and hooks in walls.Then there are all those gadgets that need batteries and end up rusting - that's a good source of nickel.

Then there are all those clay pots that always shatter - they might have metals in them for colouring.
People add rocks and stones they have collected. Lawn sprinkler systems have metal piping.
Old rusting cars, even paint pots filled with water can rust. Gardeners very often use old tin cans to protect seedlings. All that could lead to contamination of ground water.

Not forgetting that greenhouses are made from aluminium and glass bottles may have metals in them.
edit on 12-4-2013 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Chemtrails, for starters.

PDF file from your own GOV

Why would anyone be shocked that bee's are dying, just wait for the long term effect!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

So sorry, BTS. I posted this ust moments before I fell asleep. My mistake.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by aboutface
They name a new pesticide rich in both nickel and aluminum as well as the exhaust from cars and tractors.

Hi aboutface,

Were you able to find a copy of the entire study?
I searched, could not find a free copy, only the abstract.

What is the name of this new pesticide, now that is really a good find.

Well, there isn't one that's 'rich in both nickel and aluminum', that being a misread on aboutface's part. But the ones they are talking about are mainly imidacloprid and clothianidin.

So sorry. I did misread that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join