It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Robot SCHAFT Shows Off Its Strong Limbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Despite the popular notion, propagated by Hollywood and the media, that humanity should fear its extermination at the hands of evil humanoid robots with superhuman strength, the reality is that the electric motors used to power most robots aren't very powerful at all. Famous examples like Honda's ASIMO are only capable of lifting a few kilograms, and most other adult-size robots could be described as having one-tenth the strength of the average person. So much for Terminator and the rise of the machines!

But now a Japanese startup, SCHAFT Inc., has announced a breakthrough in motor technology that may bypass the limitations of existing systems. The company, a spin-off of the University of Tokyo's Jouhou System Kougaku (JSK) Laboratory, has developed—and patented—a new kind of actuator that may make robotic muscles much stronger. Gulp.

I have to admit I find this to be very creative in making a robot more durable and stronger. How the motor system can improve its performance. I'll continue to look up more on this topic. What do you say about this? Pretty impressive.

The Urata Leg replaced the standard servos with high output capacitor-powered, water-cooled motor systems. These, along with advanced bipedal control algorithms, allowed the robot to maintain its balance when kicked and shoved. Suddenly, the compact size of the electric motors—a necessity in humanoid robots—no longer meant sacrificing strength. Not long after, the JSK researchers decided to spin off SCHAFT to market the technology. At the heart of their system is a high-voltage and high-current liquid-cooled motor driver that gets its power from a capacitor. The capacitor can supply lots of current very fast and reliably, something that batteries are not good at. This in turn allows the electric motor to deliver high speed and high torque to the arm, something that is hard to do with conventional motors. [The motor, the driver, and the arm are pictured above, from left to right.]

Source
Source 2

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
He's one bad mother...
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!
But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft
Then we can dig it

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Now that is what I call funny!
Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Who is the robot that will ripp your arms off in one go?
SCHAFT, can you dig it.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

Yeah, I can dig it! Haha.
But I would love for us to get on topic and discuss the subject.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Given that this is all very impressive, I wonder how redundant this will all seem when this stuff gets put into use...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See, improvements in the mechanical and electrical systems are all very well, but until the idea of robotics is properly combined with the most fringe thinking, I really cannot see the future shaping up in a particularly interesting fashion.

new topics

top topics

join