It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you define idols, and are they usefull?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I prefer an idol that can't be an Idol.

It has kind of a religous twist, when exactly is someone an idol to someone. I don't get the concept at all

What part of yourself do you lose when you're an idolworshipper. Ah, worshipping Idols, when you made someone your idol; is it obvious you worship him then? I think God doesn't want one to have idols then for (Bible) God isn't worshipped then and He (Bible) is the only one worthy of worship since He is our Creator and all.

Aren't idols lame?

God can never be an idol, because He cares for you? Does that mean, ah, well, an Idol can in fact say what he wants and hate you the same way. There is possibility of an unhealthy relationship with an idol. Idols are mindfck.

What do you think? Am I right at certain points? What do I don't know?

I think Idols make you act different than how you should act. Crazy people making a crazy world. We overlook too much because of idolising. There's no progress that can't be made then since we accepted a standard
edit on 11-4-2013 by Angle because: add

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
An idol is anything elevated to the status of worship, whether it be an image, a person, a statue, or an object.

Is idol worship useful? No. It is a waste of time and energy.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

So, and God cannot be elevated since He is already 'The most High'. I thought.

And God doesn't smoke pot.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

God is elevated, God is lowered.

God is within, God is outside.

God is weed, the smoke, the fire, the soil, and the water.

God is All, and All is One.

It is a waste of time and energy for a piece to worship the whole.

Worship is not necessary. Love, Appreciation, and Thankfulness are sufficient.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't,

That job goes to Mariah, Randy, Nicki and keith.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kgnow
reply to post by Angle

God is elevated, God is lowered.

God is within, God is outside.

God is weed, the smoke, the fire, the soil, and the water.

God is All, and All is One.

It is a waste of time and energy for a piece to worship the whole.

Worship is not necessary. Love, Appreciation, and Thankfulness are sufficient.

No, God keeps his place, the most High, A human being trying to lower Him will not succeed in it. How is it possible to ever get that idea b.t.w.?

The kingdom of God is within.

No, God is love, spirit and light. The Creator, The Destroyer, The King, The Most High. Check thread 99 beautifull names of God (in Islam) who cares in what religion. Member Skorpion made a fine thread about His names also being told in the bible. And who knows about religion. Muslims read the bible, but Christians may not read the Qu'ran right?

Yes, waste of time worshipping the whole, there you said it in fact. Idolising can be objects and such too, thus also fire and soil and weed and whatever.. Yes, therein was your claim these things are not God.

Worship one does out of love, thankfullness and appreciation for The King. The bible says: "Worship God in spirit and truth".

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Our understandings of God differ greatly.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
An idol is a miss representation of what is and since all religions do not contain all the information (the truth of what is including all views of it) then they are idols and more or less lies.

If god say you should not have idols then it means you should not be sure of what is and question everything even your own thoughts. If you create a very good idol of what is you still should not trust it to be the whole story so that you will not have any problem with changing it if it is untrue when you have thought some more and found error in your thinking.

I love higher ideals of unity and symbiosis and works towards that, but do not know at all where the line is really drawn between acceptable to me and reality around me. Maybe one day I will find a flaw in my thinking and change it or add a missing part that I will find.

Just to make it clear. I believe god is in fact evolving knowledge of it for every new version getting closer to the real thing with every version but keeping a few flaws in every religion so that people have to seek understanding and connection with god to get the highest possible understanding that soul and god can achieve at that moment.

To truely know god and the spririt is to experiance oneness and after a while that turns into love.
edit on 11-4-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Every idol is in fact an ideal. Every time we idolize, we idealize. If Billy Idol is my idol, it is because I have made him an ideal in my mind.

God is the ideal God for some, and hence an idol.

edit on 11-4-2013 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Just my take. An idol that was "worshipped" was the golden calf in the desert? I think it meant that we shouldn't revere anything material as something to be worshipped. Material things like wealth or property should not be higher in our minds than maters of the spirit? Or something like that. I think it also means that man made objects shouldn't mimic nature. Isn't the original good enough? Are you copying Gods work? That kind of thing.

I'm only lending my 2 cents on this....

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It makes one look foolish, for they can't do anything now. I remember the verse of the statues they worship again. The statues cannot eat, need to be carried around and such, they cannot move....

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Everybody in this universe is worshipping something/someone. It's in a humans nature to worship.

A warning is that one better doesn't idolise.

top topics

join