It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP, the once-great state of Kansas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Even though just this morning I have pointed out the distinction between the way Kansas and Missouri operate - Kansas City straddles the state line, and both states' actions affect me and hundreds of thousands of other people who live in the metro area - I want to share a problem with Kansas's governor and legislature as well.

This article is written as an "obituary" but very succinctly elucidates how Kansas is in decline.
I know much of ATS think that Kansans are all ignorant hayseeds and rednecks drooling in wheat fields who've never seen a tree - this is so far from the truth that it's laughable. Yes, there is farming going on, mostly in the western half, and the Flint Hills do seem desolate indeed, but the eastern part of Kansas is forested, hilly, and home to many very well-educated people.

I am in regular contact with my Rep and Senator, so consider myself involved at this time. I'm starting to wonder, in light of recent atrocities all over our nation, if Governors are really in cahoots with the darkness that is going on on Capitol Hill and in other western countries, especially the U.K. What the hell is going on?!!

Here's the obituary link, I urge everyone to read it to learn more about Kansas. We aren't all backward bible-thumping toothless hicks. But it seems those that would fit that description (yes, there are SOME) are contributing to the demise of social structure here.

RIP, the once-great state of Kansas

The state is preceded in death by fair taxation, good highways, strong education, family farms, a good public parks and wildlife system, open government, neighborliness and belief in helping each other out, freely elected public servants, and political moderation.

Kansas is survived by widespread poverty, low-wage jobs, high property taxes, pollution, poorly educated children, out-migration and rural depopulation, foreign land and farm ownership, lobbyist-funded legislators, chronic mistreatment of the disabled, a maniacal hatred of government and children who dream of living anywhere else.

Read more here: www.kansascity.com...=omni_popular#storylink=cpy

This makes me want to weep. In fact, I just might.
edit on 11-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The Kansas City Star leans to the left and Gov Brownback is a dyed in the wool conservative....that should explain the story. And yes the eastern part of the state has lots of rolling hills and trees (just drive around the campus of the University of Kansas in Lawrence) and Johnson County (which borders Missouri) is quite affluent and has one of the best school systems in the country.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Where did those high property taxes come from because that right there is likely the root of everything else. Rural flight, foreign land ownership, maniacal hatred of government, children looking to leave, etc...

Funny that high property taxes are included in the same complaint list as broken roads and bad schools. Gee, that's the opposite of what everyone says should happen, right? Though it is never the reality.

If people cant afford the taxes why bother owning anything? Rent, let it all fall into disrepair then leave when you can afford to. Property taxes kill family farms. Even with all the land use breaks and subsidies (which are mostly for the corporate farms not eh family farms) that burden cannot be carried for long.

Property taxation is the absolute root of all municipal troubles even though it is sold to the plebes as the solution.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Very good points. Thanks for contributing. I do know that tax withholdings have just gone up, and my own house has lost
nearly 20% of its value, so my property tax hasn't gone up, but thousands and thousands of people's property taxes have gone up - and mine would, too, if it didn't keep getting appraised lower and lower.

I'm about to go into flight mode myself, and I agree with you that ditching the property or letting it foreclose, rather than pouring thousands more into keeping it maintained when it doesn't add up, is not such an outlandish idea.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Right. Thanks for expanding on my description. My children went to Johnson County schools, although I live in Wyandotte County...their father still lives in Johnson County, and even it is having problems now. It isn't the Ken-and-Barbie affluent mecca it once was. Crime and derelict property are on the rise, there, while Wyandotte is enjoying a bit of a boom now with the new-ish developments and sports complex in the western portion of the county.

Every county has a different property tax structure, also.

top topics

join