It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rehtaeh Parsons, 17, Hangs Self After Allegedly Being Raped & Bullied

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Rehtaeh Parsons, 17, Hangs Self After Allegedly Being Raped & Bullied

hollywoodlife.com

Just terrible — on Apr. 10, a mother took her 17-year-old daughter off of life support after the teen hung herself a week earlier. The mother claimed that her daughter took her own life after being raped by four teenage boys and subsequently bullied by classmates for it afterwards. Keep reading for more details.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I remember reading about this, Now Parsons suicide is all over the news and her mother just took her off of life support. Anon has launched a new campaign and I will be watching that to see what comes of it. I hope these 4 guys get whats coming if they in fact did rape her.

hollywoodlife.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-4-2013 by madmanj because: edit

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Also, link to Anon's statement and new campaign.

www.salon.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What a sad story, such a beautiful girl, to take her own life, dunno what to say.
I hope the scumbags that raped her get charged with her murder

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Evidently there's not enough evidence that she was raped, even with a photograph. That's why no charges were filed. So, perhaps she consented to sleeping with the boys while she was intoxicated or what ever, peer pressure and was ridiculed for it. She ultimately succumbed to the torture of bullying and that's a shame.
Back in high school a girl slept with 2 guys at once. She was constantly harassed about it, she even admitted to it Thankfully the bullying didn't get to her. Then again there were no pictures of it to further her embarrassment as is the case with the girl in the OP.
I think that kids today are a little more vicious and persistent with the bullying then they were 15 years ago.

My condolences go out to her family.
The boys that spread the photo around should face some sort of strict punishment.
edit on 11-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Why don't they ban bullying?
think thats a real problem.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There was no evidence because it was too late for a rape kit due to the fact she didnt say anything for a while. This is Canadas Steubenville case...these kind of things sicken me.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by madmanj

Even if it's too late the boys still should have been reprimanded for the photo they took. I can't stand males like that. May their winkys fall off slowly and painfully.

ETA: I'm glad Anon is getting involved with this.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanj
There was no evidence because it was too late for a rape kit due to the fact she didnt say anything for a while. This is Canadas Steubenville case...these kind of things sicken me.

Indeed... This sounds like one of the more terrible cases for outcome.

I think the fact she killed herself stands as all the proof I need to know her accusations were likely credible and told it like it was. Just my feelings... What a loss and I can't imagine the parents. God...finding your own child that way. I'd survive it but at the same time, it would kill me. Inside...It'd outright kill me too.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
While people pay attention to this non issue, what are we really missing out on??
N.Korea is being bullied, gun debate, gay rights, illegal wars, bailouts??
What is going on while this non issue is being paraded across the front news page?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
While people pay attention to this non issue, what are we really missing out on??
N.Korea is being bullied, gun debate, gay rights, illegal wars, bailouts??
What is going on while this non issue is being paraded across the front news page?

Actually it's a profound issue! Perhaps one of the most profound issues facing contemporary culture.

The abuse and dehumanization of other humans by callous, unfeeling, insensitive people; is certainly not a non issue imo.

and from my cynical view point; it's only going to get worse with the continued dehumanization fostered by the corpratracracy and the "people like you" attitudes. ex. marginalization of those that you don't agree with, sexism, racism, politicization, etc....

God help us!
edit on 11-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

edit on 4/11/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
Why don't they ban bullying?
think thats a real problem.

I rather think the real problem is teaching kids to ignore these jibes. Who's going to define bullying? You? Where do you draw the line between free speech and bullying? Once you ban bullying you open the flood gates to the Thought Police to further define our rights in their own ways. Whats next.. ban mean people? That's not gonna be possible, so I'd prefer my child learn to deal with these things in a healthy manner.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

SO if your kid gets punched every day you would tell him "deal with it"?

Good parenting

Also I used get bullied, I know how it feels when your mom says "deal with it" and it sucks.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

I teach my kids that violence is that final act of defense against a bully. If someone is teasing or bullying them they have my permision to give an over hand right or a left hook if the bully nvades their "bubble", or personal space after all other options have failed. First contact isn't needed for a bully to get hit, the invading of personal space is contact in my book. One punch could do a lot of damage and I'd rather my children be on the living end of a punch as opposed to the Non living end.

Bullying is unacceptable and many kids are repeat offenders. I too was bullied in school until I stood up for myself. And if my kids get into trouble in school, well that's a different story, especially considering that the school district my kids go to has a very strict anti-bully program. The school can't afford to lose it's reputation do to bullies, so in essence, if my kids are bullied and they beat the bully up, it would be hush hush, for the most part.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Yup, they just want our kids to 'deal with it'...
I told my son to deal with bullying by giving one warning, then break hands, faces, noses, etc

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Unfortunately that's the way it has to be sometimes.
It's a good thing your son is in the arts! lol. I studied for many years and it helped out greatly with my bully problem.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

thats the reason why I have him in it, he hasnt had to use it yet, but he's ready if he needs to

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Good! Another thing that he'll learn is where to strike to subdue without causing a lot of damage, so both sides can walk away clean.
I often think about getting back into it. I retained a lot of skills, I've lost more than most people know though... sigh... another story for another time. But I digress,
I think any child that is bullied in school could only benefit from learning Martial Arts. The most important thing about that is finding a good Sensei, Shihan or Sifu.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I taught my son if hes in a fight to defend himself, that he should be the only one walking away from the fight

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join