North Korea's Missiles 'In Upright Position'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ehm, China has had at least 13 nuclear missiles aimed at the U.S for over a decade.

From the "South Cina Morning Post" (SCMP) :
www.scmp.com...

THE Clinton administration was put on the defensive over its China policy yesterday after conceding that at least 13 Chinese nuclear missiles were aimed at the United States. Officials admitted that a classified CIA report on China's nuclear arsenal, contents of which were published in the Washington Times, were correct. According to the intelligence report, 13 CSS-4 missiles with nuclear warheads are targeted permanently at the US. They could reach virtually all of the country apart from southern Flori- da. News of the CIA report comes a month before the President goes to Beijing for talks on a wide range of issues including human rights, weapons exports and trade. China's nuclear capability is no news to the administration, but public confirmation that American cities are being targeted by Beijing is a sensitive matter. US officials pointed out that China's arsenal is tiny compared to the more than 6,000 intercontinental warheads possessed by the Pentagon. Washington has been trying to get China's consent for both sides to halt targeting each other. Beijing has repeatedly refused unless the US renounces its first-use nuclear policy. Chinese Embassy spokesman Yu Shunning said a pledge to change targets was merely symbolic. 'To re-target a missile takes only a few minutes,' he said. 'That's why we proposed a no-use pledge.'

So why hype up korea

edit on 12-4-2013 by Rubic0n because: added source

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
John Kerry was visiting South Korea (Seoul) today:
www.bbc.co.uk...

If there was an actual risk for NK to strike Seoul or start a war in the region, he wouldn't be there.
IMHO: Sabre rattling and hype to take people's minds off other problems at home... etc

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I know this goes on from time to time, but I don't think any of this happens without China's blessing. NK has been a puppet to China for years. I think this is just more sabre rattling, but don't think for one second the Obama administration isn't eating this up. I've heard that this is just the thing they need to by-pass the sequester and say, "See!! We can't cut military spending!!! We have to bulk up!!". Just seems odd that Kim Jung-Un has been relatively quiet and all of a sudden they want to nuke us. Economy is in the crapper, revenue is going to be way down with 90 million not participating in the workforce. What better way to jump the economy???

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmullini
I know this goes on from time to time, but I don't think any of this happens without China's blessing. NK has been a puppet to China for years.

Yeah, pretty much. People go on and on about how China doesn't want NK to do this and that, especially in the mass media, it's such a joke. I really feel that China will just give the go ahead one day to NK, just to see what they can do to Japan. I mean, it's not like they really care about the country (NK), and who is going to be able to prove it to the UN to do anything about it. They will get bold one day. But, I'm pretty sure Japan is fine, even if missles are getting fired at them. It's just that if those are nukes, and one gets through...oh boy. But, that's a scenario that I hope never happens.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I find it funny how people think NK oligarchy wants to die this badly.

They're just attention seekers.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
I find it funny how people think NK oligarchy wants to die this badly.

They're just attention seekers.

That's what makes the situation so uncomfortable. They don't want to die that badly...but I don't think they realize that they could get killed.

We've all seen That Kid (tm) at the store. You know the one...he (or she) is screaming at the top of their lungs that they want something, they want it now, and they're going to raise merry Hell until they get it. I tried that little trick exactly once, because it was 'explained' to me by my parents that such behavior was the fastest way to wind up with sore backside, sitting in the car, and most assuredly *without* whatever I'd been screaming for. Unfortunately, there are a surprising number of parents who, just to shut the screaming kid up, give them what they want. This has the effect of reinforcing the tantrum-throwing behavior, which means that, next time the kid wants something, we get round two, probably followed by rounds three, four, and five, while people around the outburst roll their eyes.

For the better part of the last fifty years, North Korea has been the international version of That Kid (tm). Every time the country has been short on hard currency, oil, food, or anything else, their response has been to bang their sippy cup on their high chair and throw the biggest tantrum they could until some nation, just to shut up the brat (or, as diplomats phrase it "defuse the tense situation") gives them what they want. There's been no reason for them to change this 'strategy', because it works. It's gotten them food, oil, and nuclear technology, after all.

Back to our screaming kid in the store for a minute. We almost expect screaming and tantrum throwing from a kid in the single-digit age bracket...but if you see an adult behaving the same way, it's deeply disturbing. Your internal reaction changes from "What a brat!" to "Holy Ahem! That person needs medication!", because adults aren't supposed to act like that.

North Korea joined the ranks of the Grown Up Nations when they started playing with nuclear weapons. Being part of the Nuclear Club has certain responsibilities, and things that are acceptable behavior for non-nuclear states are NOT acceptable for nuclear-capable ones. Unfortunately for the world at large, North Korea doesn't understand that the kind of cup-banging, floor-kicking temper tantrums that are semi-acceptable in infants are NOT acceptable in adults. It's not that they "want to die", it's just that they're playing an adult game by infants' rules, and they don't seem to realize that there's a difference.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join