My Choice: Gay Rights or Save the Rhino

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
There is not much else that could affect me more than cruelty to animals.

Whats happening to the Rhino is news to me,stomach churning news that I can`t even click on the links to see for myself whats being done to them.

We have a whaling problem down here in Australia with the Japanese and if it were up to me,I`d have their boats sunk.Imo it would be safe to say the majority of Australians feel the same way,yet the government does little to nothing to put a complete stop to it.

There are many people who care,most just don`t know what goes on or are lost in ways to help.(self included)

For the most part I see the human race as a disease.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

If you let poachers get away with de-horning Rhino's, what makes you think they will stop at them? It's not about whether dumbo is cute or not, it's about dirty poachers doing it for profit regardless of what animal we are speaking about.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Bedlam

That's your opinion but I have a soft spot for any animal that is being killed because some moron wants their horns, Ivory or what ever else can make them a buck... What about Elephants? Should we wipe them off the planet because they have tusks, big ears, a big nose and no-one cares about them?
edit on 11-4-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

But elephants are cool. They're smart, they're useful, they're cute as babies. They're even fun to play with. Usually. And you've got "Dumbo", so there's some high powered PR.

Heck, you can even have one as a companion if you live in the right place. But the only thing you can do with a rhino is scream and run for your life, generally fruitlessly, with the end result being your torn crushed body being trampled underfoot by a critter that can't even tell when you're threatening it or trying to escape.

They don't even have nice ears, just those round raggedy looking things.

Well Bedlam,

After reading your extremly pertinent comments i am hoping that reincarnation does not exist as i would hate for you to come back as a Rhino and see you having your nose chainsawed off just to please a Chinese guy who has erection problems!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 11-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by muzzleflash

NO! I am in Namibia, the little African country just above South Africa on the map!

I didnt see that till after the post.
Haha.

Since it was a German then British colony, still what I said about our westernized traditions of government and marriage licenses applies.

But, when you say "Gay rights", In Nambia apparently you mean like actual human rights.
In the USA gay rights is a misuse of terminology.

In Nambia "gay rights" may actually mean something realistic.
Are there lynchings or killings? A lot of bullying?

Please elaborate more on your particular and unique situation if you don't mind.
I want to know exactly what are gay rights in Nambia?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

A lot of my co-workers are from Gambia - they really were surprised to learn that some of their american co-workers were gay. It's like they just couldn't believe it. I guess Africa is a lot more sensitive to homosexuals.

Here in america, no one really cares. The only person I care about who they sleep with is my boyfriend. I do have a problem, obviously, with rapist and pedophiles.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Bedlam

If you let poachers get away with de-horning Rhino's, what makes you think they will stop at them? It's not about whether dumbo is cute or not, it's about dirty poachers doing it for profit regardless of what animal we are speaking about.

You know though, it IS about how we perceive them. In all seriousness.

You get a lot more outrage if the animal is either attractive or hyped. Elephants aren't pretty (well in a way they are), but they have good publicity.

If you were making TCM meds out of cute puppies or kittens, there would be mass uprisings.

I'm not saying it's right to torture rhinos for something like rhino peener powder. It isn't. But it's going to be hard to get any sympathy for them, as the OP has discovered in thread after thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
"As a gay person on ATS I often get upset and angry when I read the anti-gay rights threads, I get vocal and hot under the collar and voice my opinion but it blows over very quickly! "

So you get upset at other peoples opinions??? Do you regard that as intolerance or does intolerance only apply to those opposed to homosexuality rather than those for it?

If you see why I'm asking.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The sad part is , if we spent a small part, a tiny part of someones military budget to run a handful of armed drones we could catch these poachers and send them to the afterlife. Once you kill the first few groups the rest would get the message and go away. It would not be difficult to do but instead the drones are used to kill mostly innocent people or to assist the Authorities in catching Joe with a couple of illegal plants.

Sad it is.

Nice thread OP.

Rhinos are majestic creatures.

P

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Well Bedlam,

After reading your extremly pertinent comments i am hoping that reincarnation does not exist as i would hate for you to come back as a Rhino and see you having your nose chainsawed off just to please a Chinese guy who has erection problems!

Kindest respects

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. However, if it did, the poacher might be doing me a favor, saving me from some Hobbesian nightmare existence that was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

What if the poachers were saving the rhino souls from the horrifying torment of being a rhino in the first place? Would you like to be a cross between a cow and an armadillo? I think not.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
The sad part is , if we spent a small part, a tiny part of someones military budget to run a handful of armed drones we could catch these poachers and send them to the afterlife. Once you kill the first few groups the rest would get the message and go away. It would not be difficult to do but instead the drones are used to kill mostly innocent people or to assist the Authorities in catching Joe with a couple of illegal plants.

Sad it is.

Nice thread OP.

Rhinos are majestic creatures.

P

Band aids are a joke.

So instead of looking at the root causes of the problem (economic / cultural ), and addressing those issues, we should let the root problems remain and fester while we swat at flies and put on band aids?

It would be much easier to just create simple education initiatives, promote things like farming which create wealth from the Earth's resources, and attempt to address each issue accordingly.

Poachers are a symptom, not the disease.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Yeah, you're right! I should have said Human Rights but I didn't because that was never what this thread was meant to be about it was meant to be about Animal Rights and Rhino Rights and Rhino Poaching in particular but seeing as so many zoomed in on "gay rights" and they have made this thread into a "gay rights" thread, a "gay versus straight" thread it has already been moved from Fragile Earth to "Off Topic Chit-Chat!
No, I really have nothing to say about Human/Gay Rights abuses in Namibia or anywhere else in Africa or the World! I couldn't give a $#!T about Rights abuses any more!

I'm off of this thread as of now!
edit on 11/4/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

No Comment!

2nd Line!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Well Bedlam,

Kindest respects

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. However, if it did, the poacher might be doing me a favor, saving me from some Hobbesian nightmare existence that was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

What if the poachers were saving the rhino souls from the horrifying torment of being a rhino in the first place? Would you like to be a cross between a cow and an armadillo? I think not.

How bad could it possibly be to have huge horns and a thick hide?
And get to charge down anyone you want for fun, just to watch em run all scared.

I'm going to have to say being a Rhino sounds awesome, minus the poachers part.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

What also has shocked me is the reaction that my Rhino threads, this is my fifth, get here on ATS! Hardly a response! Doesn't anyone care about these animals anymore? Is really all just about me, me, me? Have we forgotten so quickly what really matters? Humans will one day, hopefully, disappear off the face of the planet before we have killed off every last animal and they will once again reign supreme!

As a gay man, and a animal rights supporter all my life (I was a campaigner against vivisection, cosmetic testing and the fur trade for many years) I have to ask why we are deemed incapable of caring about more than one issue at a time?

When I was a teenager, I was spreading awareness and protesting for animal rights, and there were others marching in the streets for gay rights. Now, I spread awareness and get involved in all kinds of causes from gay equality to ending poaching, the internet allows people to take up and run with all kinds of campaigns. Whether it's just signing petitions, spreading them to everyone you know, or directly contacting companies and government to keep the discussion going, anyone can do these things and it takes minutes a day.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of apathy out there, and many people generally don't care unless something affects them. You just need to see some of the stupid arguments over gay equality to know that a lot of people are just selfish. Even when something makes perfect sense, even when there is no argument against it, people refuse to move forward.

I think there is a cultural thing here too though. It's generally accepted that America is more insular than most other western nations. They care about what's happening in their own nation, but barely have a clue about issues around the world. I know things here are not as bad, because members of ATS are generally more informed than the average American. But you can still see it in the number of threads with the most discussion.

If you bring up a national issue of the UK here, unless it's about Thatcher (thanks to the US movie) it'll generally be buried under US threads about gun control and the Christian fundamentalists claiming being gay is a mental disorder. lol

ATS is extremely American, and - I know this will be taken as an insult and I'll be attacked for it, but it's my perception - America is extremely insular and generally isn't interested in what's happening around the world unless it affects them.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

What also has shocked me is the reaction that my Rhino threads, this is my fifth, get here on ATS! Hardly a response! Doesn't anyone care about these animals anymore? Is really all just about me, me, me? Have we forgotten so quickly what really matters? Humans will one day, hopefully, disappear off the face of the planet before we have killed off every last animal and they will once again reign supreme!

Ok, this thread has turned into a completely different conversation now so i am out of here as the conversation is becoming extremely tedious.

I can understand very well why in this particular thread you have not had hardly a response as to your thread concerning RHINOS!

NOT ONCE OP have you responded to those of us who have taken time to talk about the subject in hand
which for me is a complete lack of respect.

I think many posters here on ATS know me by now and i have to admit that this is the first time i have to say something so unsavoury!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 11-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

My apologies Rodinus! I really am sorry, all I was doing was trying to get the thread back on topic and I failed in that, miserably!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Yeah, you're right! I should have said Human Rights but I didn't because that was never what this thread was meant to be about it was meant to be about Animal Rights and Rhino Rights and Rhino Poaching in particular but seeing as so many zoomed in on "gay rights" and they have made this thread into a "gay rights" thread, a "gay versus straight" thread it has already been moved from Fragile Earth to "Off Topic Chit-Chat!
No, I really have nothing to say about Human/Gay Rights abuses in Namibia or anywhere else in Africa or the World! I couldn't give a $#!T about Rights abuses any more!

I'm off of this thread as of now!

The rights that all higher life forms share equally.

The Rhino, you and I, we are actually equal in the Universal scheme, and I like it that way.
I try to treat other creatures the way I would like to be treated, with respect and kindness.

No Rhinos are going to charge me because I respect their space and don't sneak in their homes uninvited.
I currently have a peace treaty with the Rhino faction, and plan on sticking to it.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

And get to charge down anyone you want for fun, just to watch em run all scared.

Poaching endangered animals is a bit nuts, even if they're as ugly and useless as a rhino.

Perhaps they could dissuade them by poisoning a few rhino horns. You know, sort of drug the animals, drill out the horns and add some ricin or the like, so that the purchasers of the powder ended up with a sort of crap shoot - peener powder or instant death. It would likely reduce the demand immediately if some rhinos were boojums.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Poaching endangered animals is a bit nuts, even if they're as ugly and useless as a rhino.

Perhaps they could dissuade them by poisoning a few rhino horns. You know, sort of drug the animals, drill out the horns and add some ricin or the like, so that the purchasers of the powder ended up with a sort of crap shoot - peener powder or instant death. It would likely reduce the demand immediately if some rhinos were boojums.

Did you not take time to see my first post to this thread?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Life sentences for poachers
Compulsory education to teach children not to be prejudice

S&F for an important post

How about, instead of creating a huge government based on arresting or forcibly educating everyone, we could just address the glaring economic and cultural issues that led to the poaching to begin with, thus preventing it before it happens?

And how about we merely mind our own business more often, rather than rely on the government to brainwash everyone into agreeing with whatever?

Yeah, my plans sound way better. And way cheaper for the tax payer!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join