It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars has oil and gold

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I already have a feeling there is crude beneath mars. Finding evidence of life can prove this. There are also rare earth minerals, especially gold. The way we get it is by drilling and then pump it to container ships in space. The ships never enter either atmosphere instead they dock at pumps that take the oil to and from the surface.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by raj10463

Nice idea but do you have any idea how much this would cost?! The value of the oil and gold would be far outweighed by the cost of constructing/ maintaining the vehicles and getting them to and fro let alone extracting it out of the ground on the red planet.

Also, they have to find it first. That alone would cost an absolute fortune. How would they get the huge drills and mining equipment there? Would it be autonomous or would expert research teams and engineers need to be on site? If the latter, how are they going to get to Mars along with the astronauts with the know how to get them there? How would they fare in the months long journey to get there?

With our current or near future technology, this is practically impossible.
edit on 11-4-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Nice idea but do you have any idea how much this would cost?! The value of the oil and gold would be far outweighed by the cost of constructing/ maintaining the vehicles and getting them to and fro let alone extracting it out of the ground on the red planet.

Also, they have to find it first. That alone would cost an absolute fortune. How would they get the huge drills and mining equipment there? Would it be autonomous or would expert research teams and engineers need to be on site? If the latter, how are they going to get to Mars along with the astronauts with the know how to get them there? How would they fare in the months long journey to get there?

With our current or near future technology, this is practically impossible.
edit on 11-4-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

robots... they are doing it here on earth. and an oil rig is not that difficult to blast into space, especially if its in pieces. And getting there and back is just a madder of gaining volocity and then floating the rest of the way, remember the ships never land they stay in space.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

It would be easier to do what is already in the loop with astro mining. Much closer to Earth, and cost effective.

What you are talking about, makes for nice Science Fiction...for now.

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
...of course, this all depends on Mars actually having oil.
...or actually having life.

Neither of which, you have proven, or even given any evidence for. You just... "suspect".

This thread doesn't really live up to the title, does it. "Mars has oil and gold"? Really?

CX

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Is this fact or just a "feeling". Do you have any links for the info?

I guess it would make sense, we don't seem to bother with anywhere that doesn't have oil.

CX.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
you send a robot construction crew to prepare the rigs. hoses are attached to balloons that take one end into space. mars pumps oil when the ship gets to earth it empties and refills with co2 to take to mars. its like a space aquaduct.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Is this fact or just a "feeling". Do you have any links for the info?

I guess it would make sense, we don't seem to bother with anywhere that doesn't have oil.

CX.

just wanted input on this idea.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by raj10463
you send a robot construction crew to prepare the rigs. hoses are attached to balloons that take one end into space. mars pumps oil when the ship gets to earth it empties and refills with co2 to take to mars. its like a space aquaduct.

What invisible crew is going to repair anything when it breaks down.

I'm trying to be nice, because you are new and this is your first thread.

But, you must realize, we tend to want a lot more substance, than speculation, when we are asked to consider such a possibility.

Des

edit on 11-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

What invisible crew is going to repair anything when it breaks down.

I'm trying to be nice, because you are new and this is your first thread.

But, you must realize, we tend to want a lot more substance, than speculation, when we are asked to consider such a possibility.

Des

nano tech the repairs cracks and faults when a machine part wares down.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I'm sorry. You strike me as really young, and just not getting it. For one, as has been explained to you. We don't have the financial resources required for such an undertaking. Plus, we don't have the technology far enough advanced to pull this off.

And last but not least. You are making suppositions about Mars, that have zero fact to back them up.

You are posing a nice science fiction story...maybe a low budget sci-fy movie...nothing that could fit into our current realm of reality.

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
If there is oil on Mars...it better prepare itself to be boarded.

I guess this is the purpose of the curiosity...curious about oil

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Maybe like a race to the moon with other countries, we are racing to Mars....Yes Sci Fi now, but who knows about the distant future. Makes me think of Total Recall

A little disappointed about the title. I thought something was really discovered!!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

The atmosphere of Mars is roughly one hundredth that of Earths, so balloons are out, Oil? dunno, gold? with volcanic activity (Olympus Mons) perhaps.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I already have a feeling there is crude beneath mars. Finding evidence of life can prove this. There are also rare earth minerals, especially gold. The way we get it is by drilling and then pump it to container ships in space. The ships never enter either atmosphere instead they dock at pumps that take the oil to and from the surface.

You have a "feeling" ? And then that feeling opens up into mining Mars?

Did you fail to take anything orally when you woke up this morning? Serious question!

Mind you, I 'feel' that the centre of the earth is made of red jello so who am I to speak?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Amounts of elements like metals, minerals etc in earth remains the same only the form changes, if we start bringing elements like oil from outside earth to here it will endanger our planet even more than we are allready doing. Human greed has no limits.
edit on 11-4-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Sadly, if Mars was made of nothing but oil & gold, it still would not be economical to get it and bring it back.

Here's what I mean:

Let's suppose the oil is not on Mars, but much closer - orbiting the Earth just a few hundred kilometers up
(orbital speed at that altitude is ~27,500 kph, so no, you cannot use balloons to reach orbit).

No need to drill - let's just imagine that it is just orbiting up there, waiting for us to come and get it. All we have to do is launch an empty oil barrel, fill it up, bring it down to Earth to sell.

An empty oil barrel masses ~20 kilograms.

The cost of launching 1 kilogram to orbit is ~$20,000.

Thus it would cost ~$400,000 to launch that empty oil barrel into space.

If we then fill it up and bring it back to Earth, we can then sell that barrel of oil for the current market value, which is ~$100.

$400,000 spent for a $100 return.

So you see, the problem with all schemes for mining space (whether its the Moon or mars or asteroids, or maybe just manufacturing things in free-fall) is that the cost of getting the equipment up there is way too high. In the above example, even if we could reduce the launch cost by a factor of 1,000 it still would be too expensive to make the effort pay.

Don't get me wrong - I want space colonies. I want orbital factories. I want to have my 100th birthday party on the Moon (you're invited, Raj) - But the high cost of payload-to-orbit is a huge problem. There are good proposals out there for systems that would be very cheap to operate compared to present-day rocket technology (Maglifter, StarTram, Skyhooks and Space Elevators), but the front-end cost (what it takes to build & setup these things) would be in the hundreds of billions of dollars, and would take 10+ years to develop. It takes resources, foresight and determination to invest in the future like this, and the financial rewards would literally be beyond imagination.

Sadly, neither the governments nor the corporate consortia that have the resources possess the foresight & determination to make this bright future a reality. I don't know how to wake them up. Ironically, shouting something like, "Oil & gold on Mars!" is the sort of thing to do it - but we need something that is real and attainable - not just motivational.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

and an oil rig is not that difficult to blast into space

They're going to be trying, as far as I am aware, to pull into orbit near the moon, an asteroid that they can mine - at some point before 2030. All the details are in fuzzy little bald guys heads. I have no idea.

But by the time they send any team into space to manoeuvre a ball of alien rock into place and get drilling, we'll have a space colony up there, complete with clear helmets, silver one piece suits, spacely sprockets and robot cleaning ladies.

It's not that difficult.

Also if there was/is an abundance of gold on Mars, it makes the price of gold drop. So sending people there, costing billions, to get something that becomes cheaper the more they get.. becomes less of a profitable expedition.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
"Mars has oil and gold"

So when or if we finally colonise the red planet its economy will be based on Oil and Gold!

Where have I seen that before??? LoL

edit on 11-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Oil and gold are all that matter. On this planet anyway. From what I have learned, gold is in all places , a result of the big bang. Oil, on the other hand takes a right condition, and death of a lot of organisms to produce something useful. Is this post a troll?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join