It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think For Yourself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Think For Yourself

If you were to read out loud my words there would be times they would taste bad in your mouth. This isn’t my fault. It is simply because they are not your words, not your thoughts. I use words in places you wouldn’t and likewise. They are derived from a different inner-language, different rhetoric, different grammar, imagery and memory than yours. Our tastes don’t align and our experiences are incompatible. We could look at the same thing from the same angle and explain it conflictingly—neither of us right, neither of us wrong. You and I are different, therefore we think differently.

Because we think differently, we communicate differently and we express ourselves differently. We live out our lives differently, motivated by different desires and different inclinations, some similar, but always different, no two alike, stubbornly unique.

Like we are different, so to is everyone else different. Every word, every sentence, every utterance is a fragment of a single life-long narrative based upon a single interpretation held by the single human that created them, and none besides. In the end, a masterpiece, a magnum opus, a tour de force. Is it ourselves who guides this brush? Maybe not.

Every moment of every day we are getting better at whatever we are doing. It seems we are getting better at letting others do the thinking for us.

Let's take for instance the google generation (such a seductive habit) which has almost eliminated problem solving and experimentation; "why delve into the unknown if someone's already done the difficulties?" Google it. And sometimes writers quote another in place of their own words, adopting stray thoughts, the fodder of another, to stand in for their own (a commonality on ATS). And sometimes we watch television during the hours when the mind is still productive, to the point where we need canned-laughter to remind us when to laugh. (The absurdities continue). In social media I see images overlaid with softened quotes, usually without citation, supposedly encapsulating the views of one in the plagiarized words of another. In all these instances, when we should be reigning over our own minds as kings, we often give up and let something else do the tyrannizing for us. Most call this entertainment, escapism, diversion, and sometimes, very sadly, even art; but I call it mediocrity and laziness.

We should show the disobedience of our prophets. We should not follow them, our books, our philosophers, our sages, or our leaders—they too are relevant only to themselves—we should instead do as them. The one thing they have done differently is they thought for themselves.

For irony's sake:

“What a man does not understand, he does not possess.”
-Goethe

Isn't that so, my friend?

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

very well said. do as they did--seek knowledge, for the times and circumstances, with the context of what was known then.....but these are different times, although I find often, I wonder if it isn't the same thing over and over.
But even if it is, a little bit more of the veil falls away with each repitition, requiring of us that we do exactly as you illucidate so well here. Think critically, taking the other experiences into account, and think and find our own way.
Good thread, and well written. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Because we think differently, we communicate differently and we express ourselves differently. We live out our lives differently, motivated by different desires and different inclinations, some similar, but always different, no two alike, stubbornly unique.

Are you saying that thoughts happen where you are?
Do you think or do thoughts just happen and there is an awareness that they are happening?
What is thought made of?

When you understand thought and the science behind it - the world becomes a marvellous place.
edit on 11-4-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Thinking for ourselves, what a novel idea. Many things that are said are merely the same thoughts reconstructed with different words. Every philosopher has said essentially the same thing. Perception is always different and what we are taught from culture to culture is different, from religion to religion, from history books, etc. We are all capable of expressing how we feel. What I find fascinating is the desire for some wind bags to use big words to get their points across. Being unique would require the ability to not be bound by the same materialistic world we have been brainwashed by. Using quotes by others to get ones point across is okay, using Google to gather information is okay, it doesn't take away from the individual perception, it may be lazy to some but what is information for if you can not access it or utilize it. They don't seem to mind when you have to write a thesis and give footnotes for where you located said information.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

“What a man does not understand, he does not possess.”
-Goethe

Isn't that so, my friend?

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

If thought is not understood - it will possess you.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Thinking for ourselves, what a novel idea. Many things that are said are merely the same thoughts reconstructed with different words. Every philosopher has said essentially the same thing. Perception is always different and what we are taught from culture to culture is different, from religion to religion, from history books, etc. We are all capable of expressing how we feel. What I find fascinating is the desire for some wind bags to use big words to get their points across. Being unique would require the ability to not be bound by the same materialistic world we have been brainwashed by. Using quotes by others to get ones point across is okay, using Google to gather information is okay, it doesn't take away from the individual perception, it may be lazy to some but what is information for if you can not access it or utilize it. They don't seem to mind when you have to write a thesis and give footnotes for where you located said information.

I hear twitter allows 146 characters or less. Maybe that's your forté?

And how does "being unique require the ability to not be bound by the same materialistic world we have been brainwashed by"? I can understand not wanting to create arguments to get your point across, but you can only pass off garbage as knowledge for so long before it begins to smell. Some knowledge should be proven before the landscape becomes a mine-field of turds. Why would anyone want to access knowledge that amounts to the regurgitation of religion? Yes, because its lazy and thought-poor.

edit on 11-4-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Are you saying that thoughts happen where you are?
Do you think or do thoughts just happen and there is an awareness that they are happening?
What is thought made of?

When you understand thought and the science behind it - the world becomes a marvellous place.

Sure. Write a thread about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

But even if it is, a little bit more of the veil falls away with each repitition, requiring of us that we do exactly as you illucidate so well here. Think critically, taking the other experiences into account, and think and find our own way.

Good words.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Is it possible to 'think for yourself'?
Firstly one must ascertain what is 'thought' and what is 'yourself'?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
You sound bored....poor thing....

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

No kidding, that and he just likes the sound of his own voice.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

now, play nice...

Normally he's quite interesting, but this.....eh?!...I dunno, maybe we should find him a poem to lift his spirits with of someone elses words?

ear you go.

She Walks in Beauty
by Lord Byron

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meets in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,—
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.

Beautiful....
edit on 11-4-2013 by AussieAmandaC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

now, play nice...

I find it interesting that you don't ask LesMisanthrope to 'play nice' after writing this:

And how does "being unique require the ability to not be bound by the same materialistic world we have been brainwashed by"? I can understand not wanting to create arguments to get your point across, but you can only pass off garbage as knowledge for so long before it begins to smell. Some knowledge should be proven before the landscape becomes a mine-field of turds. Why would anyone want to access knowledge that amounts to the regurgitation of religion? Yes, because its lazy and thought-poor.

Does the above reply to soulpowertothendegree incite/encourage nice play?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
fair nuff...I ignored it because the masma of uninterestedness caused me to over look his own rudeness in punting for a fight.....he just sounded very bored, and passionless.

how's that?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Yes. Very, very bored. Is it that obvious?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

No kidding, that and he just likes the sound of his own voice.

I haven't spoken once. This is all type. You were the one that read it, hence you don't like the sound of your own voice.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

now, play nice...

Normally he's quite interesting, but this.....eh?!...I dunno, maybe we should find him a poem to lift his spirits with of someone elses words?

ear you go.

She Walks in Beauty
by Lord Byron

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meets in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,—
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.

Beautiful....

That's not a copy/paste I hope.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

now, play nice...

I find it interesting that you don't ask LesMisanthrope to 'play nice' after writing this:

I love getting under your skin itsknowagain; it's the only time I get a glimpse of your true colors and what lies behind that mask.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

fair nuff...I ignored it because the masma of uninterestedness caused me to over look his own rudeness in punting for a fight.....he just sounded very bored, and passionless.

how's that?

He only comes alive when there is conflict - it makes him feel superior. Watch and study this one. He hits out to get a bit of action. If there is no action then he is bored and disinterested.
It is not communion and understanding that is being offered, it is not a discussion. It is a game of feeling superior.

The thing is it is not original - it is the game that has to be played - they think they 'think for themselves' but they don't realize what drives them.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

now, play nice...

I love getting under your skin itsknowagain; it's the only time I get a glimpse of your true colors and what lies behind that mask.

You don't get under my skin. You amuse me immensely and it amuses me that not everyone can see the game you keep playing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join