It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the heck did so many people vote for Bush?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

Originally posted by AntiPolitrix

when a candidate wins on all issues except the discrimination of Gay Americans, and loses the race, then you know we're f***ed as a country.

The borders are open...C ya!!

I own exceedingly more property than your 'lucid', 'mature' & 'well reasoned' 26 year old self, why would I go?

To the contrary, those boarders might look good for you once Bush's policies have us losing out, economically, to the United States of Europe, the new world economic super power.

This has got to be the most arrogant and laughable thread I have ever seen here. To bring someones age and your property power into this discussion is a joke and IMO makes you look like a complete ass.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The average american voter is an idiot. A survey was taken two weaks before the election. Many people were for more government hand-outs and programs, and for lower taxes...

No more than 10 percent of the population can be said to have a coherent political belief system, using even a loose definition of that term. Most peoples' political beliefs, to the extent they have any at all, suffer from a lack of what political scientists call "constraint," i.e., little or no logical connection exists between the positions they hold. For example, a large proportion of voters see no contradiction between being in favor of both lower taxes and increased government services.

Perhaps a quarter of all voters vote on the basis of factors that have no "issue content" whatever. They vote for candidates who seem likable, or optimistic, or for those whose campaign posters are particularly eye-catching. According to Princeton political scientists Christopher Achen and Larry Bartels, millions of voters in the 2000 presidential election based their votes on what the weather had been like lately.

Touched up above. Voters are remarkably bad at calculating their own self-interest, even when their self-interest and their political beliefs coincide. Bartels gives the following example. Only the richest 2 percent of Americans pay estate taxes. Yet among people who believe that the rich ought to pay more taxes, and who also believe that growing income inequality is a bad thing, two-thirds also favor repeal of the estate tax!

Your intelligence deserves to be insulted. America is a land of ignorance. A festering wound on the face on the face of the world, spreading hate, lies, and war.

I was a proud american, until I realized that people could actually reelect this monster.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Cash3w]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cash3w
The average american voter is an idiot. A survey was taken two weaks before the election. Many people were for more government hand-outs and programs, and for lower taxes...

No more than 10 percent of the population can be said to have a coherent political belief system, using even a loose definition of that term. Most peoples' political beliefs, to the extent they have any at all, suffer from a lack of what political scientists call "constraint," i.e., little or no logical connection exists between the positions they hold. For example, a large proportion of voters see no contradiction between being in favor of both lower taxes and increased government services.

Perhaps a quarter of all voters vote on the basis of factors that have no "issue content" whatever. They vote for candidates who seem likable, or optimistic, or for those whose campaign posters are particularly eye-catching. According to Princeton political scientists Christopher Achen and Larry Bartels, millions of voters in the 2000 presidential election based their votes on what the weather had been like lately.

Touched up above. Voters are remarkably bad at calculating their own self-interest, even when their self-interest and their political beliefs coincide. Bartels gives the following example. Only the richest 2 percent of Americans pay estate taxes. Yet among people who believe that the rich ought to pay more taxes, and who also believe that growing income inequality is a bad thing, two-thirds also favor repeal of the estate tax!

Your intelligence deserves to be insulted. America is a land of ignorance. A festering wound on the face on the face of the world, spreading hate, lies, and war.

I dont disagree with you 100% that generally voters are not "as informed" as someone like myself, but that goes for both parties voters not just Bushs and this also goes for all democratic elections so our ignorance is not unlike yours. If you want to believe propaganda against America then it just shows your intelligence and lack of knowledge about America in general, way to keep a open mind instead of closing it shut and believing everything Anti-American tossed your way. Ill be sending you Michael Moores movie in the next few days, bask in your failures and the glory of Americas democracy. Arrogant?Yes

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"quote: Originally posted by jmilici
Anyway not all votes have been counted yet so anything is still possible.

Bush leads in Ohio by more than 136,000 votes, with 100 percent of precincts reporting, according to CNN data.
www.cnn.com...
Bush might lead in Ohio but you are forgetting the 145,000 provisional ballots and the remaining absentee ballats that still need to come in. We need to give it more time. The are saying it might take upwards of 2 weeks to see who won Ohio. How do I know? I live in Ohio.

quote:
But they say change is good.

Who is "they"? The "they" i know says "now is not the time for change." "

I suppose you never heard the phrase change is good? So you would rather live in the same stale environment without change? Why isn't change good now for? Becouse we are at war? How many presidents did vietnam see? And really war was never decalred officially. And 'mission accomplished' was declared for iraq aboard an aircraft carrier by our wonderful leader(a little sarcasm).

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntiPolitrix

What were you expecting? You started your post calling Bush supporters retarted. Next time you want to ask an "honest" question leave the name calling out of it.

THANKS

Where did I call Bush supporters anything?
And thanks everyone for answering, the topic start may have been a little blunt, but I got alot of answers. ;+)
It still seems though as if Kerry's past is still the main thing americans have against Kerry. The eventual choice is not based on what they say at this point, but on someones actions.
Would it be correct that past actions were more important for a lot of people in these elections than talking and debates?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Why the heck did so many people vote for Bush? Because he "says" he is christian.....they forget that actions speak louder than words ...American has turned into a laughing stock....
Canada....here I come!

It's always refreshing to see you connect Christianity with about every subject in the most negative way possible.
I think a lot of christians condemned the war on iraq in the first place...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmilici
Bush leads in Ohio by more than 136,000 votes, with 100 percent of precincts reporting, according to CNN data.
www.cnn.com...
Bush might lead in Ohio but you are forgetting the 145,000 provisional ballots and the remaining absentee ballats that still need to come in. We need to give it more time. The are saying it might take upwards of 2 weeks to see who won Ohio. How do I know? I live in Ohio.

I'm not sure that the Democrats want to open that can of worms called provisional ballots, given what has happened in Ohio recently (Mickey Mouse, etc., regstering, 3 counties with more registrations than legal voters, etc.). Kerry would have to win almost every prov. vote, and while mathematically possible, it is historically very improbable.

That is assuming that all the provisional votes are qualified as good votes. As I stated above, with all the irregularities so far, I'd be surprised to see more than a 70% tally.

And finally, absentee ballots would probably split 50-50, so don't count on them to swing it to Kerry.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

The average detractor of this could be summed up that easily as well. Just because the election did fit YOUR particular world view does not make the nation full of idiots. Thats a rather simplistic view of things. Really now, If you slap the lable on everybody, thing YOU don't like, you must be the only non Idiot in the country :shk:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I own exceedingly more property than your 'lucid', 'mature' & 'well reasoned' 26 year old self, why would I go?

Do i know you? I didn't think so. And what age is the All Mighty BoutTime?

I find it funny with all your "property" my vote still counts as much as yours and the only difference is my candidate won.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
Where did I call Bush supporters anything?
And thanks everyone for answering, the topic start may have been a little blunt, but I got alot of answers. ;+)
It still seems though as if Kerry's past is still the main thing americans have against Kerry. The eventual choice is not based on what they say at this point, but on someones actions.
Would it be correct that past actions were more important for a lot of people in these elections than talking and debates?

Personally, when the Dem primaries were going on, the only one I could see as being a challenge was Edwards.

Specifically he reminded me of Clinton when he won his first term. (I voted for Bill the first time because of numerous issues but mainly thought it would be a change for the better.) I got the same vibe from Edwards, right or not I held this belief.

The advantage is the disconnect from Washington. (Edwards was a Senator but really non-existent nationally due to Kennedy, Kerry, Daschle, Gephardt etc.) Bush also had this even with his relationship to a former Pres.

Kerry has long ties to Washington and a long, long record from which to scrutinize, and this is where he fell short. While I do not believe every flip-flop in his resume, there was enough there to cast doubt. The main "black mark" on his record to me was his attendance and voting record while representing the great people from Massachucetts. It seems arrogant to me to take for granted that no matter what you do on Capitol hill, your constituents will always vote you back into office. (that's another subject)

With Edwards being the fresh face and limited record in Wash, he could have pulled off the election with so many people upset with the current situation. With Kerry, the risks were too large, knowing John's record in Wash.

So these were some of my thoughts on Kerry and a possible Edwards presidency.

Remember, this is only my opinion from my little part of America.

[edit on 11/3/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

We need a test to vote in this country again. You should have to prove you know what the hell you are talking about before you choose the future of our country.

If there was a test vote on knowledge, there would be somewhere in the range of 100,000 democrats who have valid points. Whining about this doesn't change it.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I was a proud american, until I realized that people could actually reelect this monster.

The average America voter is an idiot? Who would have been the better choice.

So let me quess, the 55 million Kerry supports are the only sane voters and the other 58 million Bush supports are the idoits. This election might have been different if these brain dead Democrates would have had a different candidate. John Kerry wanted to be the Commander and Cheif of the US military but votes against every defense bill that he could. Yea, he should run the military. It is amazing Kerry got that many votes, so maybe it is the 48 percent of Americans are idoits.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I personally dont know why they voted for the lying , impulsive SOB
but as for me I'm glad I'm innocent this time I didnt even bother spitting on his sign it was just to much effort to waste the spit......

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Fundamentally, a Bush soundbite doesn't make you think, and a muddied Bush lie and obfuscation gets too confusing. That works for the reasoning level of enough voters.

link   
Fundamentally, a Bush soundbite doesn't make you think, and a muddied Bush lie and obfuscation gets too confusing. That works for the reasoning level of enough voters.

link   

* A bit of reinforcement obviously helps too. Sorry peeps. *

[edit on 3-11-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmilici
The are saying it might take upwards of 2 weeks to see who won Ohio. How do I know? I live in Ohio.

Nope, i just heard Kerry is calling it quits.

How many presidents did vietnam see?

Was that war a success? We do not need another Vietnam? We need to get this done and move on.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Apparently Kerry backout out. I guess Bush won. So much for it's not over till the fat lady sings.

*I bow my head in shame that this wonderful country has sealed it's fate. Let the downword spiral begin.*

See you in the camps.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
EDIT: Accidental double post. Sorry.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by jmilici]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
"Nope, i just heard Kerry is calling it quits."

Just heard my self. How embarassing.

"Was that war a success? We do not need another Vietnam? We need to get this done and move on."

So you think this war is a success? Tell that to the 1000+ families burying thier loved ones. Or the 10,000+ wounded. Or how about the 20,000+ civs that lost thier lives. I guess to you that means we are winning.

edit: added quotes around quote

[edit on 3-11-2004 by jmilici]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join