It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Prescription Meds Cause Amherst Man's Pistol Permit to be Revoked?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Did Prescription Meds Cause Amherst Man's Pistol Permit to be Revoked?

AMHERST, NY (WKBW) - A new case connected to the New York Safe Act has at least one local gun owner fired up. The owner says his pistol permit might have been suspended because of past medications he was prescribed. Hamburg Attorney James Tresmond says his client was forced to surrender his pistol collection valued at $4,000 after his pistol permit was abruptly suspended. Tresmond is not releasing his client's name or his past medical history until he files his lawsuit in federal court in a few weeks. Tresmond believes it might be linked to his client's past medications and believes it's a direct violation of his client's 2nd, 4th and 5th amendment rights along with medical privacy laws.

The NY SAFE ACT was recently created in the wake of Sandy Hook and now medical mental health professionals are required to report their patients if they feel they are a threat to others but what sounds good on paper may not translate well in real life and so now an upstate NY man is filing a lawsuit and hoping to get his license and handgun collection back because at one time he was prescribed anti-anxiety medication. Did his doctor feel he was a threat or are the NY state police really trolling for gun owners? Word is if you go see a doc in NY and are prescribed any psychotropic medicine you will be asked if you own a gun. Not much information available about this case so we'll have to wait to see what developes. NY is fast becoming the model state for where this Gov't wants this country to go, and it aint good.
edit on 10-4-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Remember a few years back when everyone came out of the closet and proudly boasted their mental issues? I remember people saying ' I have adht,or I'm bipolar, or I'm an aspie ' like it was a badge of honor. Even Catherine zeta Jones came out saying she's bipolar.
I believe gun confiscation is just the beginning of the rights these people will lose.
How confident now do you feel letting your doctor know your a little depressed or suffering from anxiety?
We are all being placed on lists and soon the only list you will want to be on is the 'essential' list all others will be disposed of.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Texcin
Remember a few years back when everyone came out of the closet and proudly boasted their mental issues? I remember people saying ' I have adht,or I'm bipolar, or I'm an aspie ' like it was a badge of honor. Even Catherine zeta Jones came out saying she's bipolar.
I believe gun confiscation is just the beginning of the rights these people will lose.
How confident now do you feel letting your doctor know your a little depressed or suffering from anxiety?
We are all being placed on lists and soon the only list you will want to be on is the 'essential' list all others will be disposed of.

This public relations campaign you reference - encouraging people to shout the names of their conditions and disorders from the rooftops - was a tough sell. Typically people tend to hide their weaknesses, so this conditioning took some time. But now, as everyone shouts how they've captivated the attention of a doctor (oh, a DOCTOR, you say) who took the time from their busy day to assign a label and prescribe a drug, others are writing their names down, building profiles, and running what if scenarios. If this was someone's plan all along, it's one of the most freakishly diabolical yet brilliant implementations of propaganda the world has seen.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If it saves one innocent life, it really isn't bad.

Just have to get a few bugs out and teething issues, that's all.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Oh good, so now you want people with severe mental health issues to be armed too? Yea, that sounds like a great idea.

Ohh I got a great idea, let's just make it a law that everyone everywhere must be armed with at least two firearms at all times! Cause that will work out GREAT!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Aww heck. If it's for the children then by all means, please start taking away any and all freedoms. The chilkdren will be so much safer in a draconian police-state anyway.

Seriously, OP? These kind of stories are why people are buying guns "under the radar" now, which will probably lead to even more tragedies in the future!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

People are buying more and more guns & even most under the radar to circumvent the new laws. It's all kind of ironic.

These new guns laws they have enforced & are still drawing up still wouldn't have saved the lives of the children of Sandy Hook, the numerous people in Auroa, CO, or any of the other mass shooting tragedies.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Not understanding how one has to have a PERMIT to simply OWN a pistol in New York (in AMERICA), I took to The Google, and happened upon this:

SAFE Act Mistake Leads to Pistol Permit Seizure

The attorney for a Western New York gun owner who was told to surrender his pistol permit because of the SAFE Act says his client will get his guns back.

"I think that first and foremost, it stems from a flawed law that was passed so quickly without forethought on how something would be implemented.

New York State Police issued a statement Wednesday saying "No guns are being taken because an individual is on anti-anxiety medication" and refused to answer our questions or do an interview.

See, another rushed passage of a law that is then erroneously used against someone by a bunch of ignorant government loons.

Sound familiar?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Texcin

I was in school in the 80's and 90's and remember it was the "hip" thing to be broken. Everyone was on lithium. Everyone had ADD and depression. The attention whore parents didnt help any either competing with each other over who's kid was more "special."

I knew then that a pointlessly doped up generation paired with prescription databases would play a key role in the police state.

It's just too easy. Medical records are there. Script databases are in every state save 1. John Doe took ritalin when he was 14? No gun for you!

The best part is that these minors have no say. Mom and Dr. Feelgood think you should take this pill you take it. Dont worry about how it will affect the rest of your life. Just smile and enjoy the numbness of it all.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The problem is that far too many people have been prescribed psychotropic meds for non psychiatric problems, and once diagnosed - that diagnosis is going to cling to them like a bad rash for the rest of their lives and our draconian law makers are going to use any excuse they can to disarm the population.
edit on 11-4-2013 by rimjaja because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Yeah history shows that citizens around the world thought that, just prior to the end. We are dying the death of 1000 cuts here. Our freedom and Constitution are worth more to me that that. I guess we will have to agree to disagree, and I will defend you if the time comes when they come for you too (after you've surrendered your will to the "collective"). Let's hope I am not the only one left is all.....

edit on 11-4-2013 by Krakatoa because: I fixed my fat-fingered spelling errors

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

I could not disagree more with this statement. I would rather live free or die.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
NY state police admit to wrong doing.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Ahh yes freedom. Go for it!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Of course they do. They made a mistake. It does happen.

I think the policy has merit regardless.

I also think that people who can not drive a car properly to a certain level of skill, should not be allowed to drive a car.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
For one it was ALWAYS required of a mental healthcare professional to report you if they think you are a danger to yourself or others. Second this is a catch 22 with mental disorders. When people see their rights get taken away for seeking help guess what? They don't seek help and they eventually explode and go on shooting sprees. People need to be able to seek help and get that help without losing their rights.

There is no correct answer in this case. If you take their rights they will never seek help. If you don't take their rights others get angry. The DSM would most like diagnose the majority of the planet with a mental disorder. So technically they can take almost all guns. Seriously the thing is like a horoscope.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
With all the talk of psychotropic drugs, I thought for sure someone would put up Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb".

Personally, I think they will use the drug prescription database to label people. They'll start with the psych drugs and if that goes well, they'll move on to pain meds. Just in case, ya know. Your medical history will be an open book for them to use against you. If someone is a danger to the public or is telling his doctor he's planning something, by all means take his guns and make damn sure he never gets them back. But these laws are a train wreck, just waiting to happen.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Should our elected leaders and officials be allowed to serve if they are on prescription meds for depression anxiety or other emtional/ psychological problems? It seems like they are far more dangerous and in positions to do far more harm than the average gun owner......

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

Ohh I got a great idea, let's just make it a law that everyone everywhere must be armed with at least two firearms at all times! Cause that will work out GREAT!

That sounds like the best idea i have seen yet! seriously no /scarsam intended. Nothing like bad guys knowing everyone they walk past is armed to make them take a second thought about their idea of doing harm to someone.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AllGloryIsGods

I have to fully agree with you, and if people think the psyco killing spree's are
something now, wait until a few hundred go off the deep end and really start
messing things up.

Americans were born with guns ingrained onto their soul, its our past, our future,
like it or not. The threat of not being able to have them will make many that seriously
need help, not get it, because they could loose their guns if they do.
over time if something like this is put in place nation wide, we would look back at the
shootings of the past as a much more civil time in life. Because the ones that seriously
need help are not going to get it, for fear of loosing what they hold dear.

Lets hope this crazy idea fades away, or american will start looking like the ME
with all the people that will need help but dont seek it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join